Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Olympiakos

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Very tight offside, defensive mistakes, deflected goal. Clear pen not given, missed penalty.

We should have done better at 2-2, we had the chances to go in 2-2 at half time as well. Down to bare bones in the middle really, who would we have brought on if McGinn and Luiz got a knock, Tim and? 

Massively uphill in the second leg but if we can handle the atmosphere (it will not be as flat as VP over there even if we score 5) and we score early then who knows. Won't comment on spurs or Brighton in here as that's a different thing...

• Like 2

The way  there celebrating they think their through, at 2-2 we had the momentum but never got the chance to build on that because of Luiz crazy needless handball. 

Luiz has been brilliant before his sending off so chill the **** out guys, if anything likes of Digne, Lenglet and mcGinn were as bad if not worse 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The high line killed us at times but some really bad or tired performances tonight.

Will need to be a near flawless performance next Thursday and not sure we have it in us? We don’t look like keeping a clean sheet at all. Tielemans and Martinez will need to return to stand a chance.

At least Chelsea won. 

Games like that hinge on moments and momentum, it was all swinging Villa's way with the second goal only for that Luiz handball to knock the stuffing out of us completely and send things the other way. He's not the only one but he's had a disaster tonight, he and McGinn as a midfield two - especially in this form - is so easily ran through it's scary.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

A tough one to take, didn't play great but everything that could go wrong, did go wrong after it was 2-2.  The players looked absolutely knackered, passes a couple of yards ahead of them they just couldn't reach by the end.  Definitely still in it but we need Emi back ASAP for his leadership as much as anything.

It was one of those games were you feel you're doing things right, but the results are all wrong anyways. That gets so deflating, but it happens.

• Like 2

We CAN bring that back. But this squad is knackered. And I think the call from management is secure top four.

I could absolutely be fuming about certain performances*arm Dougie* but we aren't out of it yet. We have Youri and Dibu back second leg and if we score first who knows. Villa always do it the hard way.

Referee was an absolute joke to put it mildly. And Dougie isn't ready to come straight back on. If Youri is for Sunday he starts ahead of Dougie. He needs to sort his head out. 

Far to placid, walking tempo and I interested. Head turned. Enjoy Arsenal next season, Unai will find a gem better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Robbie Keane showed us the way already 

image.png.2a08549b7cca45773b80fda4e3fbf788.png

You do know they scored six in the away leg, don’t you?

Just now, CroVillan said:

I truly don’t know we lost that? We have so much more skill, flair, talent and everyone can tell we’re the better side just every little thing went wrong. 
tbh I’m not worried. If Maccabi bloody Haifa can beat them 4-1 at home so can we. I think we’re well and truly still in this. First goal there and they’ll start shutting themselves.

It's called a defence. We just didn't have one. 

You can be as good as you want going forward. But if every attack by them is a goal you can't win anything.

Oly were sharper and overall the better side.

When I saw the team I posted in the pre match thread that I thought Villa were weak in defence and midfield.

As it turned out that was very much the case.

I can however see Villa scoring at least two in the away leg but can't see them keeping a clean sheet.

Too many games and too many injuries finally took their toll tonight!

Just now, El Zen said:

Very weird game. Not often you see a luckier side than tonight’s edition of Olympiacos. 

You make your luck. They never stopped believing. We have to show that same attitude next week. 

• Like 1

Just now, Villarocker said:

We are still in this. I'm not giving up on them. How much for El Kaabi as a back-up striker to Ollie? He's a decent player. 

Was going to post earlier looking forward to the let's sign El Kaabi posts

Just now, rjw63 said:

You do know they scored six in the away leg, don’t you?

What does that matter to beating them by 3 at home? 

• Like 1

Just blame Olsen for the midfield and defense giving the ball away in the box repeatedly, a deflected own goal, missing a penalty, wrongly ruled out goals and referee decisions to make it easier 👍🏾💪🏾

• Like 3

Can we please not blame the ref FFS

He was bad but we were even more shit, stop making excuses. It's not an indictment of the squad, injuries and fatigue are taking their toll... but we laid an egg today. It happens

FUBAR   everything that could go wrong did go wrong. We needed Emi. He **** up getting booked.  Pau being obviously unfit. Playing Lenglet instead of Carlos.  Tielemans being injured. Luiz conceding and missing a pen and having his worst game for the Villa.. Olsen letting another 4 in. 

But i put this on Unai. He misjudged them. And their manager did his homework  . Went for it knowing we cannot cope with the press most of the time, and even with our calm good passers like Tielemans and Kamara injured and Emi not available,  persisted with the aame tactic. Slow slow and try to play through the middle. 

We were at home. Should have gone for it. In reality they went for it and got their rewards. So pissed off its untrue. 

• Like 2

Just now, Zero7 said:

Luiz has been brilliant before his sending off so chill the **** out guys, if anything likes of Digne, Lenglet and mcGinn were as bad if not worse 

Everyone has a groaner of a game. Wish it hadn't happened tonight.

• Like 1

Â