• Zaniolo (Rogers 66)
    • Diaby (Bailey 74)
    • Moreno (Digne 74)
    • Durán (Watkins 81)
    • Iroegbunam (Tielemans 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/04/24 at 22:59

Can't blame the subs we had to. Can't run the players into the ground. It's just a shame our squad depth has taken a hammering. Next week will be so tough and then the following Bournemouth game I fear we'll be shot in terms of fitness

• Like 1

1 minute ago, striker said:

Will Villa never learn?

Got the second goal and again took the foot of the gas.

How many times did Villa get into Lille’s box after the second goal excluding corners? I counted zilch. No wonder Emery was losing it.

Rather than go for the killer third goal Villa withdrew and finally conceded which might make all the difference in Lille.

I’m absolutely fuming so will post nothing further!😡

Has we not had Arsenal on Sunday we'd had carried on getting at them. We've a game on Sunday. They don't play til the second leg next week. Our squad is depleted. We simply have to pick our battles and reserve energy. I the Don we trust. 

• Like 3

Weird that I’m a little disappointed with that. Lille are very strong and it will be hostile over there. They rarely lose at home and go into it fresh from a week off while we go to Arsenal. To go to their place with 2-0 would be a little less nervy, but the lethargy is starting to show now. Emi motm without a doubt. Another goal for Watkins who is a world class forward. 

I think we'll score in Lille.  Hopefully we can do so early and then look for the killer balls behind their defence for Ollie and Bailey to chase.  No idea how we didn't get a penalty for the guy taking out Ollie.  Nuts.

• Like 2

Got the win, shame couldn't get the clean sheet Emi deserved. Really failed to push on after the 2nd.

Lots of subs made sense, with a game Sunday we need to rotate - but none of the incoming made much impact.

Ref bit weird giving random soft yellows to us but zero consistency with similar/worse.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Next week is going to do tough. We need to be a whole lot better than we were tonight.

We won, great. But we look so disjointed with the injuries and so tired. We now have a tough game Vs Arsenal and Lille get a week's rest.

France will be intimidating, I fear for us to be honest. 

But what can he do? The squad is tired and depleted. To get this far is amazing. Truly impressive for any manager. Chance of top four European trophy with a full first team out. How!? Just how!?

The man is a genius.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

Just now, stewiek2 said:

But what can he do? The squad is tired and depleted. To get this far is amazing. Truly impressive for any manager. Chance off top four European trophy with a full first team out. How!? Just how!?

The man is a genius.

He is, if anyone can do it, it's Unai. 

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Will Villa never learn?

Got the second goal and again took the foot of the gas.

How many times did Villa get into Lille’s box after the second goal excluding corners? I counted zilch. No wonder Emery was losing it.

Rather than go for the killer third goal Villa withdrew and finally conceded which might make all the difference in Lille.

I’m absolutely fuming so will post nothing further!😡

I think we go for the killer 3rd and leave ourselves exposed, we lose our risk aversion and thr game becomes end to end, just like Brentford. It doesn't help that certain players, Doug, McGinn and Tielemans aren't very good off the ball with the opposition in possession, a tackle is a foul, picking up lose balls isn't evident and standing next to an opposition player isn't a priority.

Not at our best from a defensive perspective but managed to get a win against a top French side.

Plenty for Unai to review and if Lille manage to beat us by 2 goals next week then fair play to them. UTV!

• Like 1

From the moment their left back kicked through the back of Bailey nowhere near the ball I thought we were in a for a long night of no yellows from the ref 

looked like we wanted to conserve energy apart from a 10 min spell in the 2nd half where we were lively 

so vulnerable in the transition, next week will be hell 

Carlos just astonishingly bad 

• Like 1

You can tell Emi thinks I am too exposed here. We all know we have injuries, but the defence is hugely diminished. Emery always talks about control, but I don't think we had much tonight. They were better on the ball.

Â