• Zaniolo (Rogers 66)
    • Diaby (Bailey 74)
    • Moreno (Digne 74)
    • Durán (Watkins 81)
    • Iroegbunam (Tielemans 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/04/24 at 22:59

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Despite the sort of negative post I myself have posted, and the majority of this thread have too, we’ve just won a home leg of a European quarter final 2-1 lads

drink it in 

yeah, but come on, i hear you...

Martinez motm

a wafer thin off side

why am i so disappointed, and i mean really disappointed,  with a home win?

Oddly enough, I’m strangely optimistic about the away match up. 

Lille are a club that want to play football but Unai refused to let them get into a rhythm with a pretty high trap and the return of the aggressive offside line. 

Yes - they had the run at Emi a few times but that’s why it helps to have a world class keeper. 

I think it’s to our advantage that Lille continue trying to play progressive football.  

• Like 1

Going to be a tough second leg but if we can carve out some set pieces I think we can score another one or two.

That being said, I can definitely see them scoring 2 or more too potentially so should be a good game for the neutral.

Emi was immense tonight, Watkins played well, everyone else was mostly hit and miss, we just don’t seem anywhere near as coherent as we were earlier in the season, though it cannot be understated how many key players we’re missing and the knock on effect of everyone else having to play so many more minutes.

3 minutes ago, imavillan said:

pas très bien

You win, failed A level French 47 years ago so was obviously shite at it then and have run out of words now.

• Haha 1

Just now, imavillan said:

yeah, but come on, i hear you...

Martinez motm

a wafer thin off side

why am i so disappointed, and i mean really disappointed,  with a home win?

We are limping. The stats show that we nearly always concede making it all the harder to control and win games as we were doing earlier in the season. We are now into a clear phase of  random unpredictability, so very hard to know what you will get from us. Still capable of some very good attacking play, but it's not at all consistent and the defensive mistakes always leave us vulnerable to disappointing results.

Oddly enough, I’m strangely optimistic about the away match up. 

Lille are a club that want to play football but Unai refused to let them get into a rhythm with a pretty high trap and the return of the aggressive offside line. 

Yes - they had the run at Emi a few times but that’s why it helps to have a world class keeper. 

I think it’s to our advantage that Lille continue trying to play progressive football.  

Lille played very well. Flattered us hugely to be 2-0 up. However incredibly disappointing to give away that goal just when we seemed to be over the worst of their attacks.

Don't understand with everyone in the box why Konsa or someone else just doesn't go on the back post.

Next week is going to be a slog. With the 2-0 Lille would've had to come out and attack and you'd fancy us to score at least one on the counter. Now they can pace themselves more and pick their moments like tonight so it's going to be backs to the walls and a similar negative display to what we did in Amsterdam.

Can see extra time next week if I'm honest as they're one of the better sides left in this competition.

3 minutes ago, Lille fan said:

well my english friends , interesting game though i feel neither teams played at their best level
disappointed by the outcome of the game , i feel we had a better result in our hands , but glad to be still alive , after Mc Guinn 's beautiful goal i thought we would drown
absolutely disgusted by the goal cancelled by VAR with our played being basically on the same line , this technology is the cancer of football (and i say the same thing when we benefit from it)
i'll be fair-play and conceide you could have had (maybe) a penalty , subtle fault but fault nonetheless...overall didn't like the referee
too bad for us Zhegrova and David were catastrophic tonight , hopefully better next week 
i believe who ever scores the first goal next thursday will qualify... i maintain my 60/40 odd in favor of Villains
also , i don't know if leaving the stadium before the end of the game is common practice in VP but it's not a pretty sight ;) 
Cheers !!

Transport around VP is unfortunately very poor

10 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

We are limping. The stats show that we nearly always concede making it all the harder to control and win games as we were doing earlier in the season. We are now into a clear phase of  random unpredictability, so very hard to know what you will get from us. Still capable of some very good attacking play, but it's not at all consistent and the defensive mistakes always leave us vulnerable to disappointing results.

i get it all....the injuries to the squad....the grit of the team...digging in....not having a settled back four...the experiences or lack of...Martinez playing a blinder and keeping us in the game....etc

what i don't get is a team going 2 up in the 2nd half and well on top and then......all of a sudden, 2nd best.....

why didn't we carry not on and try to get the 3rd which would have effectively settled the tie?

that's what i don't get

we won.....but it feels as shit as it did on Saturday.....

Edited by imavillan

Ok performance, Lille are a decent team. Big plus is they are probably worse than us at defending set pieces. This could be key imo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, imavillan said:

i get it all....the injuries to the squad....the grit of the team...digging in....not having a settled back four...the experiences or lack of...Martinez playing a blinder and keeping us in the game....etc

what i don't get is a team going 2 up in the 2nd half and well on top and then......all of a sudden, 2nd best.....

why didn't we carry not on and try to get the 3rd which would have effectively settled the tie?

that's what i don't get

we won.....but it feels as shit as it did on Saturday.....

Agreed. To me it feels like we are doing the age old Villa thing of not being quite good enough. Obviously, I hope we get over the line, but we are limping, let's be honest about it, it's stopped being convincing and we are hoping what are doing is good enough now rather than feeling confident throughout. 

All things considered it's a really good result any win at this stage in Europe is. We looked really dodgy in the first half but settled much better in the second and deserved the second. I thought Lille run out of gas until they pulled the goal back but I think we've got enough to go there and snatch a goal or two in the return leg. Martinez MOTM pretty easily tbh.

• Like 1

Just got back, that could have gone either way, Emi motm by a country mile.

Deffo need to start practicing defending corners cos we are awful at it.

Refs in Europe make prem refs look like that Pierluigi bloke, they are dreadful.

Need an early goal next week cos if Lille score first I think we're done

• Like 1

Is this the most one-sided MOTM poll ever?

motm.png

Anyway, rightly so, as he was brilliant tonight. Nothing much new to say that hasn't already been said, but we have to get better from aerial set pieces and crosses into the box. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

It's a lead but disappointing to concede from a corner. Carlos shouid hsve done better there 

I know. Totally ridiculous for a side to concede from a corner. 

You wouldn’t see Villa scoring two goals from corners, it just doesn’t happen to anyone else but us… 🙃

• Like 2

Â