• Zaniolo (Rogers 66)
    • Diaby (Bailey 74)
    • Moreno (Digne 74)
    • Durán (Watkins 81)
    • Iroegbunam (Tielemans 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/04/24 at 22:59

Thought so live at the game but that was a stonewall penalty and it is insane why on earth it didn't go to VAR. Emery is a gent but if that was Wolves and O'Neill he would still be camped out at Villa Park waiting for a response from the ref.

I thought we tried to be a lot more proactive and aggressive in the final third tonight but the unfortunate outcome of that was that we were a bit sloppy and gave it away too much, leaning us exposed on the counter. 

In terms of what seems to happen at 2-0 up, while I think there is an element of nerves I think much of it is the opposition adopting a more high intensity style to get back into the match. In these situations if our midfielders are not retaining the ball, the wheels come off.

For the corner we gave away, I wonder if there was a mix up on who’s supposed to stand where. Typically, Ollie stands at that front corner of the 6 yard box and there’s 3 other zonal players around the 6 yard area with all others man marking. 

But for some reason McGinn was standing in the front post area and Duran was…on the post. Can’t imagine they wanted the tall striker standing on the line instead of where McGinn was supposed to be. 

• Like 1

Positives are we go there with a lead  and we’ll have our chances in the next leg. They are a dangerous team though and will almost certainly score against us . Slight advantage to us but this really could go either way and we’ll have to perform better than we usually do in this competition. 

Got back at 0115 last night after the long drive back home to Newmarket.

This result has to favour Lille tbh. Shame we sat back and let in the inevitable goal, but I think the result was fair. 

I enjoyed the game but once again odd decisions from the ref, maybe Ollie made too much of the "penalty" that's why it wasn't given, perhaps he should practice like Kane.

However I think Lille will have too much for us next week. Shame though but we are running on empty, have a hard game against arsenal whilst Lille can rest and prepare.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

This result has to favour Lille tbh. Shame we sat back and let in the inevitable goal, but I think the result was fair. 

I enjoyed the game but once again odd decisions from the ref, maybe Ollie made too much of the "penalty" that's why it wasn't given, perhaps he should practice like Kane.

However I think Lille will have too much for us next week. Shame though but we are running on empty, have a hard game against arsenal whilst Lille can rest and prepare.

I largely agree, tough ask next week with our fixtures and injuries.

We give the ball away far to cheaply, especially on our right side (I moan at Cash for cutting back and keeping it safe but......) Time and time again we lose possession playing forward balls that aren't a good choice, they are 50/50 balls and when we lose them we have no players who seem to be able to regain possession without fouling or blocking a shot in or around our box, it's happening game after game.

Konsa is a big concern, he's reverting to trying to ref the game rather than play it, arm in the air , stops playing, dangerous with crap refs.

• Like 3

I just don’t know how I feel about last night.  Part of me thinks we missed a big opportunity, part of me is relieved Emi was on top form.  The rest of me is trying to put it in perspective by remembering that 5 years ago we were wondering whether a 2-1 win at home to West Brom would be enough for Wembley…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

The best result for any of the English clubs tonight, I'd take it over Arsenal's and dare I say Man City's. We won. You can tell Don Unai has to think of energy reservation with a game Sunday then second leg so we simply can't go gung ho with the depleted squad. If anything away suits us more. We're at a phase were we just cannot rotate at the moment too much, unless he pulls a rabbit out the hat and Mings and Buendia are fit and ready to rub through a brick wall Sunday.

But when you look at the obstacles the season, the long-term injuries to key players this season, goddam this manager is magnificent. We can still get fourth with such injuries whilst playing European football all season is nothing abort of a miracle. Seriously, only Rob Edwards is performing more of a miracle this season than Don Unai.

Wow.

All the more reason, why we should have more than one quality CDM in the squad....and more than one dominating centre back.....defensively, we are thin.

I don't envy his job right now, in certain areas we are down to the bare bones.

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

The sad fact is, we don't need to score.....but that is what we are good at.

a 0-0 is fine......but we as a team are not geared up for a 0-0.

However, had we scored 3, we might have let complacency set in, and coasted......so a 1 goal lead, might keep us on our toes, and focused.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Weird that I’m a little disappointed with that. Lille are very strong and it will be hostile over there. They rarely lose at home and go into it fresh from a week off while we go to Arsenal. To go to their place with 2-0 would be a little less nervy, but the lethargy is starting to show now. Emi motm without a doubt. Another goal for Watkins who is a world class forward. 

• Sometimes, time off, works against us...it's not always the advantage it suggests.
  • Emi and Ollie are carrying us right now.
  • I think the injuries have left us, a nervy team.
  • The Arsenal game could be an opportunity to sharpen our football brain, tough competition, can be good.
  • They have to score, we can catch them on the break.....our achilles is low blocks, that won't happen here.

I don't think the game in Lille is predictable....it's all on the day.

11 hours ago, switters said:

Got the win, shame couldn't get the clean sheet Emi deserved. Really failed to push on after the 2nd.

Lots of subs made sense, with a game Sunday we need to rotate - but none of the incoming made much impact.

Ref bit weird giving random soft yellows to us but zero consistency with similar/worse.

That's all we have attracted all season, we are second worst record....maybe something in it.

We are far from a dirty side....so something don't sit right here.

Watching the game back this morning I'm a little more positive about the result. 2-1 flattered us and on another day could have lost by a couple (thank you emi)

Lille are a very well organised team and one of the better teams we've faced at Villa Park. If we can make it through we'll have survived our toughest test UTV

11 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Bit of a broken record but I just really think this team deserves a lot more support when they come under pressure.

They have rarely let us down but people just go into panic mode. Just believe.

Not panic mode....just nervous.

All the mitigating circumstances have been rolled out.....but right now, they make the crowd nervy.

I think a bit of honesty is required....I accept the injuries have proven challenging and we do seem to focusing more on energy conservation than anything else.

but we are far from convincing in our play, right now.

I still think the composition of the squad, has brought a bit on ourselves, sure the injuries are unprecedented, but defensively, we are painfully thin.

We are deploying too many attack minded players in Defensive roles, no wonder, we are disorganised, and suffering with positional play.

Unai has an unenviable balancing act right now.....we need to get to the summer and hopefully, fix it......FFP permitting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Bonnet de Douche!

No Bonnet on this little Deuce Coupe

Little_Deuce_Coupe.jpg

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, Lille fan said:

well my english friends , interesting game though i feel neither teams played at their best level
disappointed by the outcome of the game , i feel we had a better result in our hands , but glad to be still alive , after Mc Guinn 's beautiful goal i thought we would drown
absolutely disgusted by the goal cancelled by VAR with our played being basically on the same line , this technology is the cancer of football (and i say the same thing when we benefit from it)
i'll be fair-play and conceide you could have had (maybe) a penalty , subtle fault but fault nonetheless...overall didn't like the referee
too bad for us Zhegrova and David were catastrophic tonight , hopefully better next week 
i believe who ever scores the first goal next thursday will qualify... i maintain my 60/40 odd in favor of Villains
also , i don't know if leaving the stadium before the end of the game is common practice in VP but it's not a pretty sight ;) 
Cheers !!

if its us....it needs to be in the last minute of the game.

I think the game can go either way.....If I was a Lille fan, I would be hoping Emi Martinez is out.

The goal that you scored and was ruled out.....our defensive marking left me rigid in disbelief....I am not sure how your scorer, was afforded that much freedom.....we ball watching, I guess.

I think both teams have clear defensive vulnerabilities....in that scenario, it's anybodys game.

11 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Oddly enough, I’m strangely optimistic about the away match up. 

Lille are a club that want to play football but Unai refused to let them get into a rhythm with a pretty high trap and the return of the aggressive offside line. 

Yes - they had the run at Emi a few times but that’s why it helps to have a world class keeper. 

I think it’s to our advantage that Lille continue trying to play progressive football.  

I think that bit is right......but then, from their point of view, shows the vulnerabilities of it.

To play progressive football in a balanced way, you have to be furnished with defensive competency in times of need.......to have one area only, as a forte, leaves vulnerability.

Any team, who can attack but not defend, or defend and not attack....is incomplete, and leaves the area of competency over worked.

Both of these teams right now, show defensive frailties....it's a subjective call, as to the outcome.

God Bless Emi M

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Lille played very well. Flattered us hugely to be 2-0 up. However incredibly disappointing to give away that goal just when we seemed to be over the worst of their attacks.

Don't understand with everyone in the box why Konsa or someone else just doesn't go on the back post.

Next week is going to be a slog. With the 2-0 Lille would've had to come out and attack and you'd fancy us to score at least one on the counter. Now they can pace themselves more and pick their moments like tonight so it's going to be backs to the walls and a similar negative display to what we did in Amsterdam.

Can see extra time next week if I'm honest as they're one of the better sides left in this competition.

I'm used to it, now.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

Â