Pre-match thread - Cup Final 5 of 10

ender4

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah. Not sure why it’s mental, people might want to talk about that game even if it’s not the next one

Because discussing team line ups and tactics for a game in FOUR matches time is pointless given we don't know the context. specially at this stage of the season with rotation based on the next 3 results very likely.

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Because discussing team line ups and tactics for a game in FOUR matches time is pointless given we don't know the context. specially at this stage of the season with rotation based on the next 3 results very likely.

If you say so

Think Diaby will start, maybe Moreno aswell although I'd much rather have Digne to handle Saka.

Beyond that it picks itself. Really hope Ollie isn't rested as he always gives Arsenal defence issues and we at least need to start the game with the intention of getting something.

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you say so

Yes. Its bloody obvious and you know it is. You have never, ever done anything but disagree with EVERY single thing I say. 

So nothing is new. Please put me on ignore and save this tediousness of me having to read your constant digs. Its predicatable and incredibly sad.

Thanks

Edited by GlobalVillan

54 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yes. Its bloody obvious and you know it is. You have never, ever done anything but disagree with EVERY single thing I say. 

So nothing is new. Please put me on ignore and save this tediousness of me having to read your constant digs. Its predicatable and incredibly sad.

Thanks

Enough now, what do you think the line up should be for palace away? 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Thanks

Huh? When have I disagreed with you before?

Also I’m not really disagreeing with you now to be honest

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 4

Tricky decisions to be made on this one - the poor results for coefficient FC mean that we're now in a position where getting a point out of this game could be absolutely crucial to us, but also, in order to progress in Europe and optimise for some of the more winnable games we have coming up, it'd be nice to be able to rest up a little bit.

Stick or twist?

I think with Doug out it'll be difficult, we don't look the same without him and with the other big players we've got missing we're going to really struggle with any sort of glue in our side for this one - it's a lot to ask young Iroegbunam to single handedly join up our side in a game against one of the best sides on the planet. 

I think there's a case for five at the back, Duran and Watkins up top and hitting long balls - without Kamara, Ramsey and Luiz we're going to be really struggling in midfield and we might have to make the game about something else.

• Like 1

Our defensive play has been getting worse and worse. We seem to always have a mistake in us to give goals away. Not only in open play which is maybe more understandable given the loss of Kamara and us not really having a like for like substitute but also set pieces.

No Luiz, big step up for Tim who I think did well against City.

Don’t see us getting anything here as things stand.

47 minutes ago, bose said:

Our defensive play has been getting worse and worse. We seem to always have a mistake in us to give goals away. Not only in open play which is maybe more understandable given the loss of Kamara and us not really having a like for like substitute but also set pieces.

No Luiz, big step up for Tim who I think did well against City.

Don’t see us getting anything here as things stand.

I don’t think Tim is anywhere near ready. He was really poor against City and even struggled last night when he came on. 

Big future ahead of him, but right now he’s miles off it

Not sure what team will be put out after Man City away. For what it’s worth I’d go:

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Moreno

Diaby Tim McGinn Rogers

Tielemans Watkins

Luiz gets an enforced rest and Bailey could be rested too. We don’t have too many options without a big drop off. 

Not holding out much hope of a positive result here to be honest. The only hope is Arsenal rest a couple of key players also and then we can perhaps sneak a point? Doubtful though and fearing another Man City away result. Having Lenglet back at least would help but assuming Cash won’t make this one?

Don’t like the using the words “free hit” or for us to simply throw this game away, as we should at least be competitive in every game we play, but I understand the need to rotate where possible. Without disrupting the side too much, my starting eleven would be:

……………...….Martinez…………………..

Konsa…..Carlos……Lenglet…..Digne

………Iroegbunam…..McGinn……….

Diaby….…..Tielemans….…..Rogers

………………..…..Duran…….……………..

Subs: Olsen, Gauci, KKH, Moreno, Pau, Chambers, Zaniolo, Bailey, Watkins

If Emery thinks Moreno, Pau, Bailey, Zaniolo and Watkins can or should start then so be it.

Anything but a good drubbing I’ll take here. UTV

Edit: Looks like Cash and Lenglet will be back in the squad, which is a real boost for us. Whether either are fit enough to start though remains to be seen.

Edited by ferguson1

I notice in a lot of the predicted line ups on this thread people have McGinn as one of the sitting midfielders with Tielemans further forward. That is not how we have been lining up recently as when Tielemans and McGinn have both started McGinn has pushed up and been been the one closet Watkins and Tielemans has been further back.

I am assuming Lenglet is still out so with Cash also out the only decision at the back is Digne or Moreno and given it is Saka they will be up against I'd go with Digne. 

If we go as strong as we can and really go for it then we'll probably go:

……………...….Martinez…………………..

Konsa…..Carlos……Torres…..Digne

……….......Tielemans…..Tim………....

Bailey….…......McGinn.................Rogers

………………..…..Watkins…….……………..

I wouldn't be at all surprised though to see either a back 5 with KKH getting a start or us going completely the other way and the back 4 above, McGinn and Tielemans sitting and Rogers and Bailey wide and a front two of Watkins and either Diaby/Duran.

However we go this is going to be tough. I think I'd rather see us have a real go though, whilst acknowledging the risk of a heavy defeat, as we don't have it in us to grind out a low scoring draw or a 1-0 with a breakaway. 

Edited by markavfc40

I think both teams will want a slower tempo, and Arsenal will be resting at least a couple of players knowing full well we will too. Won't be one to remember but if we're disciplined we can sneak a point. If we're downright lucky we can sneak a win but I don't see it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I'll start the Chelsea pre match thread in that case.

Madness. So, so much can change during matches that having pre match threads about games before we have played other games makes no sense at all.

I think you're mad hahaha. Are people not allowed to talk about future games?  

Why can't people talk about the Chelsea or Liverpool game now?  How does it affect you?  Maybe just ignore that thread if you can only cope with thinking about one match at a time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, ender4 said:

I think you're mad hahaha. Are people not allowed to talk about future games?  

Why can't people talk about the Chelsea or Liverpool game now?  How does it affect you?  Maybe just ignore that thread if you can only cope with thinking about one match at a time.

Go ahead and start the Liverpool pre match thread then. I think that would be ridiculous but its up to you.