Things you have lost interest in

Xela

We have a Hobbies thread for stuff we are into now, but what about things you used to like/love and can't be bothered with now?

Main ones for me:

Driving - I still love cars, and watch a lot of automotive YouTube content, but the actual task of driving I have completely gone off. I used to love it. I'd take my car out for no other reason to have a drive, it used to be my thinking time, my 'safe space' so to speak. I'd go to supermarkets 20 miles away, so I could spend some time in the car. Not know. Its purely used as an appliance to get from A to B, or A to Z. Combination of appalling drivers and roads that are a disgrace with teeth rattling potholes and endless roadworks and temporary traffic lights. Feels like a chore now. Maybe If I lived somewhere more rural, I would get my mojo back. 

Films/Cinema - Not fussed anymore. From going to the cinema circa 50 times a year in my twenties, to not going at all in the last 10 years. People's behaviour just got more shitty and entitled. I still watch the odd film on TV, but have no idea on what is coming out. Whereas I used to get all the magazines like Empire, Total Film and Premiere delivered. 

• Like 1

Definitely films and modern tv/documentary series. It's very hard to find an original, intelligent film these days. Most new films are recycled plots or dreadful CGI rubbish. 

Video games. Tired gameplay, no innovation, micro transactions, rubbish narratives, cutscenes. Gameplay was better in games 20 years ago. Video games are supposed to be fun. 

Exercise. I used to want to improve and get fitter. Now it's an endless chore that seems pointless. 

Drinking. A few beers is nice but I've stopped drinking at home and hate late nights. To be honest I never really liked the late nights/ club's anyway. 

Edited by villa89

Books. I just don't read anymore. Probably read 1 book in the last 4 years. I used to read 2 a week. Then my commute changed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yup. Used to be obsessed with football and watch everything from everywhere. Game has been ruined for me thanks to a number of reasons. Still watch some non Villa games but only a small % of what I used to.

Same goes for sports as a whole, my interest has dropped to almost zero from using to keep up with as much as I could.

Concerts. Can't be bothered to be around people so I stay away.

Cinema. See concerts. ⬆️

People, if I don't get paid for it I tend to avoid being around other people.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Yup. Used to be obsessed with football and watch everything from everywhere. Game has been ruined for me thanks to a number of reasons. Still watch some non Villa games but only a small % of what I used to.

Same goes for sports as a whole, my interest has dropped to almost zero from using to keep up with as much as I could.

Concerts. Can't be bothered to be around people so I stay away.

Cinema. See concerts. ⬆️

People, if I don't get paid for it I tend to avoid being around other people.

May I interest you in the great game of cricket? 😁✊🏼

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

We have a Hobbies thread for stuff we are into now, but what about things you used to like/love and can't be bothered with now

Films/Cinema - Not fussed anymore. From going to the cinema circa 50 times a year in my twenties, to not going at all in the last 10 years. People's behaviour just got more shitty and entitled. I still watch the odd film on TV, but have no idea on what is coming out. Whereas I used to get all the magazines like Empire, Total Film and Premiere delivered. 

This. 100%. Too many thick as sh!t, ignorant mouth breathers talking to each other, on their phones, filming themselves watching a movie.....they seem to have the attention span of an andrex puppy and don't stop fidgeting or rustling sweet papers or slurping drinks. Total words removed !

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Football.

Unless it's Villa I couldn't give a toss.

This

34 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Where's the next Ronaldinho?  The next Zidane?  Gazza?  The systematic approach by most clubs just seems to suck the life out of it and make it more robotic.

Just all a bit boring.

Thats an interesting point. They are all so much faster and athletic now, it has taken away a lot of skill. It seems to be all pace and power, instead of dribbling and creativity.

I guess I could add football to mine. I still love the Villa, but I'm not obsessed with the game like I used to be. The fact I could name more players from Luton Town in 1988, than I can today, speaks volumes! Collecting the panini stickers made me a nerd! 

Same with cricket. Love to see Worcestershire do well, but the T20/Hundred, multiple franchise leagues around the world, and endless international games, has sapped my enjoyment of it all. 

As soon as big money gets involved, the product gets rinsed of all enjoyment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Books. I just don't read anymore. Probably read 1 book in the last 4 years. I used to read 2 a week. Then my commute changed. 

I get that. I used to read for an hour a night in bed, and on the train to work. Haven't done that for 10 years. Can't concentrate, work is always on my mind on the morning commute. 

Shame, as I used to love reading. I always lamely say to myself that when I'm retired or in a no stress job, I'll start up again! 

• Like 2

Computer games I guess would be one for me , lost  many many hours of sleep playing Civilisation, command and conquer , Doom , rise of the triad 

now other than a game of hearts or crib on my phone late night when  I’m bored I just can’t get into them .

Sport in general is another shout , 20 years ago I could probably have told you ever scorer of every goal that week , who beat who in the snooker and who won the 1500m in the athletics that weekend , now we are so over saturated with sport it’s almost to the point you erase it from your mind 

Holding on to an optimistic outlook that humanity can mean people collectively, have virtue. Are benevolent and care. I have no doubt that's in our nature. 

It isn't and won't be the end of our problems even if we were to find it within ourselves, and strive to share it to the best of our ability so that it may thrive. There will always be dark days, misfortune, tragedy and loss.

In my view this notion and idea that we are advanced, and advancing to the highest quality of life known. Toward better. Is closer to fable than a true story.

The past, is history. The future, a mystery. The present, a gift.

There's no mysteries that the histories present humanity every reason to be united in the belief that the narrative we assume is not only accurate, it is also telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Steven Hawking said some words that resonated with me with respect to this.

“The thing about smart people is that they seem like crazy people to dumb people.” 

"The 'Powers That Be' are not smart enough to engineer Armageddon, but they may yet be stupid enough." 

I'm done giving energy to the outlook. If it comes about then great, I'm glad and hope that I pulled my weight. If it doesn't, I hope I pulled my weight regardless.

It's been said you don't give people what they need, you give them what they deserve. I was unsure when I heard it.

You give the harvest to the people that planted the seeds. 

At a macro level I see so called leadership more concerned with violence and threat than anything else, it's so rife that life, as is, can't fathom any different. We get scientific about that.

At a micro level I see people who display the nature I mention earlier. Everywhere. And that's why I no longer want to have this optimistic outlook. I don't think it's fair to give false hope or lead astray. Democracy meant power of the people.

Thanks for letting me vent VT. 34 years in this life today for me. There's enough time in anyone's life who would spend it well. I didn't want to celebrate this year, however people around me do. 

Sometimes people see it in you when you can't see it for yourself. That's magic. And we are all capable of it. You can get scientific about that too, if you choose.

I cut down drinking a lot since January in a drive to lose a few pounds and it’s weird but I seem to be less interested in drinking as time goes on.

• Like 1

There are quite a few but football is probably the biggest one, including Villa. Just no interest at all any more, don't have any idea how Villa are doing now. 

I still enjoy a glass of wine or a beer now and then, but less than one a week and almost never get drunk, that's another big change. 

I used to be able to sit and watch 2 or 3 films back to back, now it's a struggle to sit through a two hour movie in one go. 

I don't know the last time I went to a gig, it's been years. 

That stuff has been replaced with an obsession for running and more recently cycling. Definitely healthier and feel better for it, rarely miss any of the old things. 

• Like 2

Cars.

I liked cars and had a few different things, from a 1960’s Spitfire, to a few different Mercedes. Then one day, financial crash and I ended up driving an old Astra a relative gave me, then an old Mazda a friend gave me. It was like the spell was broken. I’m very lucky to be back in a position where if I wanted to, I could get back in to it. But I’m far less interested. They are white goods. Just make sure it can do motorway speed, and has a decent stereo.

Currently driving the most invisible car in the world and it’s great.

Â