Things you have lost interest in

Xela

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I can help you recapture the excitement...

Hide contents

What the **** is that painting technique? 

Like he's never seen or even heard of a paintbrush in his life. 

No wonder he's such a mouth breather. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

What the **** is that painting technique? 

Like he's never seen or even heard of a paintbrush in his life. 

No wonder he's such a mouth breather. 

I know you have nowt better to do than have crumpet but you actually pressed play on a video entitled - 10 Hours of Paint Drying 😴 💤

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I know you have nowt better to do than have crumpet but you actually pressed play on a video entitled - 10 Hours of Paint Drying 😴 💤

Highlight of my day so far. 

This might sound a little strange but.... I've lost all interest in my job and work.

I used to really enjoy my work and probably more importantly the people I worked with. COVID hit and obviously everything changed and now the company is mostly remote working. This has killed it for me. I'm one of the strange ones who can't really work at home. I'm IT based so I'm able to work from home I just find it incredibly hard to not be constantly distracted at home. When we used to be in the office I was able to focus on projects and time would fly by. I could share ideas and problems with colleagues straight away. I really enjoyed the whole thing for the most part. Now I feel incredibly isolated, when I do visit the office it's mostly empty.

The whole working experience is now totally hollow. I find myself without enthusiasm or motivation where previously I had it in abundance. 

Pffffffftttt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmygreaves said:

This might sound a little strange but.... I've lost all interest in my job and work.

I used to really enjoy my work and probably more importantly the people I worked with. COVID hit and obviously everything changed and now the company is mostly remote working. This has killed it for me. I'm one of the strange ones who can't really work at home. I'm IT based so I'm able to work from home I just find it incredibly hard to not be constantly distracted at home. When we used to be in the office I was able to focus on projects and time would fly by. I could share ideas and problems with colleagues straight away. I really enjoyed the whole thing for the most part. Now I feel incredibly isolated, when I do visit the office it's mostly empty.

The whole working experience is now totally hollow. I find myself without enthusiasm or motivation where previously I had it in abundance. 

Pffffffftttt.

Have you tried a shared workspace?

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

No, but I'm not sure there's near me. I'm in Stourbridge.

There's at least one in Bewdley. Might be worth a quick search.

3 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

No, but I'm not sure there's any near me. I'm in Stourbridge.

Lots of them write the word Starbucks on the outside.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Lots of them write the word Starbucks on the outside.

Do they do a special deal where if you wear a beanie hat and huge headphones you can sit there for 8 hours, nursing one coffee?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Do they do a special deal where if you wear a beanie hat and huge headphones you can sit there for 8 hours, nursing one coffee?

There’s an indie coffee down an arcade in Cardiff (uncommon ground) and to walk past, you’d think admission was by apple product only.

They have little signs in the shop saying you have to buy a drink every hour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

With exactly that in mind , there was a business proposal that one of the coffee shop chains  were investigating a few years back whereby if you “drink in” the coffee would be free and you paid an hourly charge for the table 

nothing seems to have come of it so I guess the one coffee for 8 hours plan is still the sound one 

18 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

I think this has happened for a lot of people since COVID. Most of my colleagues are much less willing to pretend that they care about their job or appear motivated. The majority want to just work from home doing as little as possible. Companies are going to have to try to find new ways to motivate employees and forcing them to come back into the office 3+ days a week won't work either. Now one caveat is that I'm 20 years in the same job, like most of the people I know. At that point I guess everyone loses their motivation. 

Edited by villa89

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

With exactly that in mind , there was a business proposal that one of the coffee shop chains  were investigating a few years back whereby if you “drink in” the coffee would be free and you paid an hourly charge for the table 

nothing seems to have come of it so I guess the one coffee for 8 hours plan is still the sound one 

Do Starbucks (yeah, yeah, I know) still do that 'unlimited top-ups' thing? 

Always used to beat me why anyone would pay for the big expensive mug, when they could just buy the small cheap one, and keep getting it refilled. 

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Now one caveat is that I'm 20 years in the same job, like most of the people I know. At that point I guess everyone loses their motivation. 

Is it literally the same job, though? 

I did 30 years in I.T. (28 of them for the same employer), but the world changed so much in that time, that - even with the same nominal job title - my role kept changing, so it never really got boring. The only real downside was dickhead bosses. 

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Do Starbucks (yeah, yeah, I know) still do that 'unlimited top-ups' thing? 

Always used to beat me why anyone would pay for the big expensive mug, when they could just buy the small cheap one, and keep getting it refilled. 

TBH I don’t know they did that .. I usually get a Frappuccino to go from them but rarely / never drink in 

Edited by tonyh29

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Is it literally the same job, though? 

No not really, every 3-4 years we end moving teams or doing something completely different. But the culture and approach is always the same. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

TBH I don’t know they did that .. I usually get a Frappuccino to go from them but really / never drink in 

Well, maybe they've stopped it, I never go there anymore. But when I was working, they had a branch over the local Waterstones, which was my go-to lunchtime hideaway (when not in the pub). The free top-up information was in fairly small print at the bottom of their wall menu, so they obviously didn't want it widely known. Saw me through several books though. 

EDIT: I think it was only on the basic filter coffee, not all those fancy frappamocca things. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think this has happened for a lot of people since COVID. Most of my colleagues are much less willing to pretend that they care about their job or appear motivated. The majority want to just work from home doing as little as possible. Companies are going to have to try to find new ways to motivate employees and forcing them to come back into the office 3+ days a week won't work either. Now one caveat is that I'm 20 years in the same job, like most of the people I know. At that point I guess everyone loses their motivation. 

I like  my job , to the point that after about  4 days of Covid lock down I was already thinking “**** , is this what retirement will be like “

Plan is to retire at 55 but in all honesty i don’t see it happening 

I do work for myself though which probably makes a big difference to how i feel about work compared to other people … my boss is still an idiot though 😀

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I do work for myself though which probably makes a big difference to how i feel about work compared to other people … my boss is still an idiot though 😀

You should hear what he says about you.

• Haha 1

Â