Things you have lost interest in

Xela

20 hours ago, bickster said:

I know you have nowt better to do than have crumpet but you actually pressed play on a video entitled - 10 Hours of Paint Drying 😴 💤

I watched It was Stoke v Burnley, Dyche v Pullis  good game.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think this has happened for a lot of people since COVID. Most of my colleagues are much less willing to pretend that they care about their job or appear motivated. The majority want to just work from home doing as little as possible. Companies are going to have to try to find new ways to motivate employees and forcing them to come back into the office 3+ days a week won't work either. Now one caveat is that I'm 20 years in the same job, like most of the people I know. At that point I guess everyone loses their motivation. 

Playing devil's advocate, if they want people back 3 days, then they have every right to request that. If people are on an office based contract, i'm not sure what the argument Whether it is right/productive is a different question, but they're the ones paying the wages. We were told at our place to be back 3 days in the office, and while people moaned at first (myself included), we did it as we want to keep our jobs! Civil servants threatening to go on strike as they are being told to go back 2 days is a bit cheeky IMO. 

At our company, results/productivity actually improved when people worked from home as they were doing longer hours as they were working their commuting time generally. Personally, i think 3 days is a bit much, 2 days would have been my preference. 

There will always be people that take the piss though when WFH, those people should be dealt with on an individual basis.  I've kinda drifted off on a tangent here! :) 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I think this has happened for a lot of people since COVID. Most of my colleagues are much less willing to pretend that they care about their job or appear motivated. The majority want to just work from home doing as little as possible. Companies are going to have to try to find new ways to motivate employees and forcing them to come back into the office 3+ days a week won't work either. Now one caveat is that I'm 20 years in the same job, like most of the people I know. At that point I guess everyone loses their motivation. 

You make an interesting point.

I've often noticed how it is group pressure rather than management's threat of sanctions which discipline and even motivate workers.

Late for work - get a chorus of disapproval.

Stay off work sick and get a barrage of sarcasm.

Staff as opposed to menials or manual workers are supposed to be self-motivated but working from home seems to suggest that the difference is a myth.

Working in isolation with no one to bitch about or complain to, might actually be bad for people.

On 30/03/2024 at 22:23, leemond2008 said:

I always say this but lockdown completely ruined my interest in reading, I used to read 3 books a week, I often used to get sent free books by authors to review.

When I started working from home I couldn't bring myself to pick up a book after staring at a screen all day, it felt too similar to work, I haven't read a book in about 3 years now.

Same with my piano, the fact that I had nothing else to sit on aside from my piano stool when working meant that I choosing to sit on it for hours after work was an absolute no no, I sold the piano about 2 years ago now, I've gotta be honest, I really miss it now.

On the flip side though, I found my guitar was great for taking a little 5 or 10 minute break from my keyboard and my passion for that has kicked back in tenfold, I used to play for probably half an hour a week but now I play for hours every day.

I'm  not sure if it was Covid or having children that massively reduced my reading as they happened at the same time. Have been on the same book for months. Though I think it's partly because  I read mostly before I sleep, and have tended to read fairly heavy non-fiction books in recent years. Not because I'm  not interested in novels, but because  I feel I should  find out about the subject of the books. Would like to start reading fiction again. I do manage to sneak the odd 5 or 10 minutes on the piano though

Â