Spotify - an online music service

bickster

3 minutes ago, Tegis said:

You mean like this?

Aye. Their browser will unfold the file once to play it.

Feed it to Audivarna or Roon then the right DAC and the file will unfold three times for supposedly the full effect.

It's causing a row amongst the HiFi dweebs.

One side says it's lossy and snake oil, the other side says just listen to it.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I get Youtube music free as I have Youtube Premium and therefore my music play has been split between that and Spotify. That said I think my wife has been using it as apparently I listened to Metric a lot and Allstar. 

you are the first person I have ever heard of who actually has Youtube premium, what are the actual benefits of it?

I can't imagine them providing anything additional that I would be willing to pay for

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

you are the first person I have ever heard of who actually has Youtube premium, what are the actual benefits of it?

I can't imagine them providing anything additional that I would be willing to pay for

I assume its just the cessation of ridiculous amounts of adverts in videos. I had no issue with 1 or 2 adverts at the start of a video, but they started adding them at various points through videos as well. I watched a 20 minute car video recently and there were about 10 adverts in it. 

Edited by Xela

24 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

No adverts, and downloadable tracks. 

33 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I have it. 

You get the music but also then YouTube has no adverts and videos can be downloaded. 

For me I get more than if I just had Spotify. 

fair enough, my ad blocker sorts out the adverts on my laptop and it doesn't really bother me when they come on mid video on my phone or PS4, I've never had the need to download a video either but if it did occur then there are ways around that online.

I thought the whole YouTube Premium thing had become a bit of a meme in itself but it sounds like a fair few of you have it

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I watch a lot of YouTube content, probably at least 2 hours every day. That might be music or non music video, I don’t like ads, at all. Also their long form content is pretty good, there was a Johnny Cash docu I watched which was worth the figure. Initially it was for the lack of ads, but now they have youtube music its a bonus. 

• 1 month later...
On 03/12/2020 at 12:46, leemond2008 said:

fair enough, my ad blocker sorts out the adverts on my laptop and it doesn't really bother me when they come on mid video on my phone or PS4, I've never had the need to download a video either but if it did occur then there are ways around that online.

I thought the whole YouTube Premium thing had become a bit of a meme in itself but it sounds like a fair few of you have it

I used to have it. No ads, the ability to download videos and the ability to listen to stuff without having the app open were the main attractions for me.

But I decided it wasn't worth £14 a month or whatever it was costing me!

• 3 weeks later...

Gary Numan on the news saying one of his songs was streamed 1 million times ... he received royalties of £37 for this.

I guess 1 million  streams doesn’t mean he would have sold a million copies of the song but even so that is staggeringly low 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Gary Numan on the news saying one of his songs was streamed 1 million times ... he received royalties of £37 for this.

I guess 1 million  streams doesn’t mean he would have sold a million copies of the song but even so that is staggeringly low 

Interesting. My mate is in a small band in Canada. They do ok playing small clubs and a tiny fanbase that buys their CDs and streams their albums. He told me a few weeks ago he gets a cheque every 6 months for 1000 canadian for streams. This isnt Gary Numan stature or even close, so its weird he gets so little. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Interesting. My mate is in a small band in Canada. They do ok playing small clubs and a tiny fanbase that buys their CDs and streams their albums. He told me a few weeks ago he gets a cheque every 6 months for 1000 canadian for streams. This isnt Gary Numan stature or even close, so its weird he gets so little. 

That is interesting indeed   ... Do they have a deal with a record label  ?  seems with Spotify the record labels get 41% , Spotify 29% and the artist 16% ... ( the article didn't say where the missing %'s went )

could be something else that isn't being reported of course ... maybe he sold some of his rights for an advance deal  , along the lines of Mick Fleetwood the other week ?

44 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

That is interesting indeed   ... Do they have a deal with a record label  ?  seems with Spotify the record labels get 41% , Spotify 29% and the artist 16% ... ( the article didn't say where the missing %'s went )

could be something else that isn't being reported of course ... maybe he sold some of his rights for an advance deal  , along the lines of Mick Fleetwood the other week ?

No label so that may be the problem.

• 10 months later...

Cynic I may be but I’m fairly sure (much like Swift) that she purposefully creates drama in her life so that she has material stored and ready for the next time she fancies a mega payout. She also just got streaming platforms to remove the shuffle option from her albums so that people HAVE to listen to the songs in order to understand her melodrama. What a **** self obsessed word removed. 

Â