• Watkins
    • Cash (Lenglet 45)
    • Diaby (Durán 45)
    • Digne (Moreno 63)
    • Zaniolo (Rogers 63)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/03/24 at 23:59

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I'd hardly call getting a point from a difficult away fixture, one we haven't won in 13 years, with so many of our key players missing and while juggling European football, "making a mess".

The setup to start the game was a mess. We were rubbish. As I said, he fixed it at half time to our usual look and it was much better..

You know it's okay to disagree with some things Emery does or is that now allowed on VillaTalk?

Happy with a draw tbh

Would have taken it before the game

Switched off the commentary because they were doing my head in (optus)

Focused on our play today in possession and we are very classy

I know we give away stupid goals which is frustrating but understandable as well considering our various injuries at the back 

We deserved something from the game and VAR helped us for a change

Rogers is looking a good acquisition and Diaby looks like he’s got his mojo back

UTV 💜🩵

• Like 4

The subs made the difference! Cash blocked a potential winner, Zaniolo scored one and Diaby got us on the front foot.

I would have taken this vital point before the game and we got it. :D Two “goals” correctly disallowed by VAR (eventually), 12 additional "Fergie Time" minutes (where did the ref get that?) and 70% possession, but the final result won't be welcomed everywhere! 

Not the reason' - Postecoglou completely dismisses question about Spurs  defeat - The Spurs Web - Tottenham Hotspur Football News

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

West Ham are a horrible team tbh 

I don’t like West Ham fans and hate it when they say, it’s not the West Ham way (whatever that is) but I completely agree with them regarding wanting Moyes out. They have some very good players but that dinosaur Moyes is happy to have 11 men behind the ball. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Probably would have won that if McGinn was playing.

Comfortably. 

This was a tough fixture and a draw is not a bad result, made better by Spurs' surprise loss yesterday. The team in the first half never looked right, we never play with two up top and it's not clear why Emery thought it would be effective here. Duran was completely out of the game, and Rogers not much more involved. 

Obviously, he got the substitutions right, and I think in the end we were probably the more deserving winners. I don't know if we would need to buy Zaniolo or pay a large sum to whichever team owns him and that's why he's not starting, but he offers so much more than Rogers does at this stage and he should IMO be starting every game Ramsey is out. Diaby's assist was brilliant, and he seems to be playing his way back into form, so these seem like two obvious switches going forward. 

You can see all sides of the 'Moyes debate', in that they have good players and they are always going to get results, but on the other hand they are very defensive, content to pack their own half of the field, it felt like we were trying to play past 15 defenders in much of the second half. Champagne football it isn't, but it's a tribute to us as well. 

It's still all to play for. 

• Like 1

Phew..... I thought we finished with the team that should've started. Much better last 30 min. Zaniolo and Diaby imo deserve the plaudits. Both came on and made a huge difference and changed the flow. Matty Cash too. gave him pelters many times this season but thank the lord for that block. 

The defence....WTF. Unai seriously needs to resolve our stupidity at the back. For a eam that looked so good early doors we've become a very sloppy team in defence.  

People were crying for a more attacking line-up after the Spurs game.

It wasn't really the line-up or the formation that cost us three points today, it was players giving it away cheaply in the first half

And then in the second half our final ball wasn't good enough, to many times we were allowing West Ham to get blocks in

But in the end 1-1 was a good result, and overall it wasn't the worst performance when taking the whole game into consideration

Also we were without three of our most important players, Kamara, McGinn, and Ramsey

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Really? He was entitled to go for the ball, showed great strength and is arguably fouled in the box. The ref takes the easy option in booking them both instead. It’s why he didn’t punish the dissent because Alvarez who was already on a yellow pulled his arm back cynically which is an obvious yellow. He was right to be mad. Ref didn’t give Nico any help. 

I'm going to disagree.  The more obvious first.  When he threw the ball away to delay a throw in, the WH were screaming for a caution and to be consistent, the ref should have given it, having just booked them for delaying our restart.

I agree with you that he was pulled back, but the ref did not call it.   The problem was, after the ball was away, he waited until the defender was stepping over him and then jumped up into the oppenents leg and then squared up like he had been offended.  It was stupid as it gave the referee the easy out of booking them both.  If he had just waited to stand up rather than trying to jump into the opponent, or even just acted like the whole thing was just a coming together it would be much more intelligent and controlled.

Up the VAR. Duran starting today was an odd one as I thought Diaby had a good game against Ajax, but fair play Unai recognised the errors at half time. The Luiz / Tielemans midfield wasnt as bad as I feared it would be but West Ham were inconsistent in their press.

Relieved we take a point from the game and onto the next one.

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Clearly grown into his good looks 

15th best looking manager in the prem apparently 🤣

Did we really have 70% possession? Honestly, setting that squad up to play constant 30% possession setpiece grappler idiotball *at home* like that is criminal, with a good manager and a new striker West Ham would easily be pushing the position we're in as well

Â