• Watkins
    • Cash (Lenglet 45)
    • Diaby (Durán 45)
    • Digne (Moreno 63)
    • Zaniolo (Rogers 63)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/03/24 at 23:59

53 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I think the number of injuries and suspensions might have something to do with our changes, don’t ya think?

Please read the forums signs "Don't Feed The **** Chimps"

Cheers 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I scored the ref “very good” because I’m including VAR in that 😂😎

You missed the clear penalty we should have had then? No way was his hand in a natural position. If that was given, it would have changed the game.

• Like 1

I was at the game today and what stood out to me today, especially in the first half, was how uninvolved Watkins was when shunted out to the wing….much better in second half with the substitutes but the hammers were quite poor today and we really should have moved the ball forward quicker to take advantage of them which we didn’t do enough of. We also really need to improve our corners because there were plenty of opportunities to score from set pieces too. 

having seen that in person I’m a bit disappointed that we couldn’t score another tbh. Would have been amazing to go 5 ahead of spurs again but we go again against wolves UTV

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Cash did end up looking better, but prior to kick-off I don't necessarily think that was obvious at all.

Bingo! There has been a lot of criticism against Cash this season, some of it quite unfounded IMO.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Completely agree. We started the first half on the front foot and completely dominated the second half. Apart from that 15 minute spell where we kept giving the ball away in defence, which also lead to their goal, I'd say it was a very solid away performance. Even more so when you remember how many players we have missing, getting bad defeat last week and it's a difficult place to go.

We played some really nice stuff at times. Only things to work on for me are defending set pieces and maybe sometimes we could have got a shot away sooner rather than looking for one more pass.

Emery tried something different. It didn't work so he corrected it during the match.

But no, let's moan moan moan eh?

UTV

How many times have I read that after a match? It’s our main Achilles heel and has cost us a few points this season (have to keep remembering though, we are fourth, which is not too shabby).

Lots of people here apparently think the starting line up was weird/disastrous etc. but we actually started the match really well and had West Ham on the back foot for the opening phase of the game. Then we lost control through poor defensive work, then we got momentum back after the 2nd half substitutions. Like you, I can’t quite buy into the narrative that this was a disaster.

I thought the half time substitutions were decisive and effective, indicating a manager who knows what he is doing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

it definitely should’ve been a penalty 

Clear as day. VAR **** us and NOT West Ham today. 

The only bad and incorrect VAR decision went against us. I won't praise them for correctly ruling out their goals.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

Bingo! There has been a lot of criticism against Cash this season, some of it quite unfounded IMO.

Quite. I think I even read in the past week someone saying they never wanted to see him in a Villa shirt again, And yet suddenly he is apparently the obvious choice to start at RB. Gotta love VT sometimes…

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

VAR didn't want to overturn it. Would be harsh, but the likes of Liverpool or United get that. His arm is in an unnatural position.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

How many times have I read that after a match? It’s our main Achilles heel and has cost us a few points this season (have to keep remembering though, we are fourth, which is not too shabby).

Lots of people here apparently think the starting line up was weird/disastrous etc. but we actually started the match really well and had West Ham on the back foot for the opening phase of the game. Then we lost control through poor defensive work, then we got momentum back after the 2nd half substitutions. Like you, I can’t quite buy into the narrative that this was a disaster.

I thought the half time substitutions were decisive and effective, indicating a manager who knows what he is doing.

Yeah agreed. If we can cut out these sloppy spells we have now and then on the ball and defend set pieces better, that's our two main Achilles heels sorted.

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Quite. I think I even read in the past week someone saying they never wanted to see him in a Villa shirt again, And yet suddenly he is apparently the obvious choice to start at RB. Gotta love VT sometimes…

I think Cash has been one of our best and most consistent performers this year. 

Yes, he has him limitations but he gives 100% and has delivered when we’ve needed him! 

Also, great to see Diaby getting some form back for the run in! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Watch at 0:36 - Zouma concedes a penalty. There's no consistency.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WHY said:

I don’t like West Ham fans and hate it when they say, it’s not the West Ham way (whatever that is) but I completely agree with them regarding wanting Moyes out. They have some very good players but that dinosaur Moyes is happy to have 11 men behind the ball. 

I think that Moyes is doing a splendid job. The fact that West Ham fans aren't happy is an absolute bonus. :D West Ham fans seem to think that it is still the 1960s, they have a couple of decent players, but they haven't got Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst anymore, or even Trevor Brooking, to be able to play "the West Ham Way". There's every chance that a new manager will have them back as the "yoyo club" that they have been more recently (prior to Moyes). Next time we visit, will bring all of our first team with us and give them another good hiding. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Luiz and tielemans can't play in a two in the middle, neither has the legs or movement to cover enough ground. 

Of any player regularly used in a two in the middle this season, Douglas Luiz has probably been the best in the league.  

42 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Watch at 0:36 - Zouma concedes a penalty. There's no consistency.

It’s completely inconsistent, if that’s Fernandez crossing and it’s Cash’s hand its a penalty 

BTW that was premier league goal no. 60 today, 4th best in the PL. Compared with season totals of 51 and 52 in the previous two seasons.

We also have the 6th best defensive record in the league.

• Like 2