England v Brazil /England v Belgium

andykeenan

12 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Won't be surprised if Konsa doesn't even get off the bench. Happy he got another call up but I don't expect to see him on the pitch.

Now Toney is back I bet cocknose put him on before Watkins. 

Again Henderson... I would have more surprised if he had been left out. 

Basically can guarantee Toney goes to the Euros instead of Ollie with this (unearned) selection. 

Under the guise of "seeing what Toney can do", he will play 70 mins, Watkins 20 mins, disjointed at the end of the game.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Jordan Henderson, that selection is baffling. As he ever had a great game for England, I'm sure he has, but I can't recall the performance. 

I can't wait till Southgate departs, all that talent at his disposal, and nothing but fear first football. 

After that comment, he will probably put in a MOTM performance tonight!

1 hour ago, andykeenan said:

Brazil Saturday 23 March 7pm

Belgium Tuesday 26 March 7.45pm

Both on Channel 4

The squad 

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Ajax), James Maddison (Tottenham Hotspur), Declan Rice (Arsenal)

Forwards: Jarrod Bowen (West Ham United) Phil Foden (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle United), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)

Wouldn't have gone with Rashford. Solanke much more deserving of that spot.

Toney is obviously a great footballer, served his ban, and straight back in to scoring form. Not sure I'd have selected him, but if Solanke replaces Rashford I'm not sure who I'd pick instead. Probably another full back.

Henderson... joke. 

But the rest of the squad is surprisingly OK.

Obviously we're kinda shafted at goalkeeper with no great options anywhere. 

39 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Won't be surprised if Konsa doesn't even get off the bench. Happy he got another call up but I don't expect to see him on the pitch.

Considering he was the only outfield player in the squad last time who didn't get minutes, put your house on it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Considering he was the only outfield player in the squad last time who didn't get minutes, put your house on it.

He will get 8 minutes at left back and will be decided he isnt good enough

Edited by Zatman

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Will Douglas Luiz be in the Brazil side?

I'm quite happy to support whichever nation has most Villa on the field at any one time.

I think he got called up., there was a video of his family watching the announcement.  Brazil make a thing of their team selection and it's announced live on TV.

• Like 1

Think it's a pretty good squad, but it demonstrates again how England have a paucity of options at GK and CM. If I had one complaint it's that I'd have liked to see Mainoo; maybe Jones and Elliott are better but Jones is injured and Elliott hasn't done 90 mins very often this season. 

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

After that comment, he will probably put in a MOTM performance tonight!

I've never been convinced about his talents, tbh. He's not a bad player by any stretch, but nothing stands out about him in the way a Bryan Robson or a Steve McMahon did, not for me anyway. 

1 hour ago, calcifer said:

Konsa should be in that defence, definitely ahead of HM.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Book yourself a nice holiday in June you word removed because you won't be on the plane with us.

Who won't? Gareth? Once can only dream.

Edited by fightoffyour

The CB picks are basically an audition as to who'll be the Conor Coady of this summer! White will be back in under the next manager as he's been excellent for Arsenal for 18 months and can also cover CB so actually is the type of player who really should be in the squad given the injury issues.

Is Trippier actually injured, sure he played for Newcastle the other night but could be wrong.

One thing looking at that squad. There's 25 names and it will need to be 23 players for the final selection. England pretty much at full strength in the forward areas. I really can't see how Grealish makes the squad unless he has an incredible end to the season so I think he's a pretty safe bet now to be the big name "shock" omission when the Euros squad is named, Toney will probably have 20 quid on that....

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The CB picks are basically an audition as to who'll be the Conor Coady of this summer! White will be back in under the next manager as he's been excellent for Arsenal for 18 months and can also cover CB so actually is the type of player who really should be in the squad given the injury issues.

I'm not sure White will be back - he turned down this squad, apparently because none of the players like him because he's a bit of a weirdo.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure White will be back - he turned down this squad, apparently because none of the players like him because he's a bit of a weirdo.

He seems pretty popular with Arsenal squad and has brilliant understanding with Saka on a weekly basis.

Not sure what's happened but next manager will surely ask him to reconsider as Walker and Trippier will probably retire from NT after the Euros so RB area won't be quite as stacked as it is now and Reece James is riddled with injuries each season.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

He seems pretty popular with Arsenal squad and has brilliant understanding with Saka on a weekly basis.

He's considered an oddball even there - doesn't like football, doesn't watch it, never has - trains, goes home - he's a peculiar guy. 

I think when he upped and left halfway through the world cup he'd made his mind up and it's rumoured a good chunk of the squad aren't particularly keen on having him back.

• Like 1

Â