England v Brazil /England v Belgium

andykeenan

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah my mate who was ex west brom now doesn't play Sunday league or 5 aside or anything, says the job element of it killed it for him 

I dont blame white, what he should say is he's more focused on arsenal which is fair, he's resting at home for them rather than sat on the bench watching maguire for England

The weird thing is how it's generally accepted that fans put their club first, people hate international breaks, hate maguire, hate Southgate, some outright hate England but when white calls it our there's outrage? I'm 100% with him 

Depends. If he has turned England down for those reasons, then he’s every right to make that choice but I don’t see a path back for him when/if he then does fancy it. However if he’s fallen out with one of his bosses, he needs to grow up a bit (unless there was something misconduct worthy done or said to him which I doubt).

It's not about when he does fancy it, it's about when there's a manager who doesn't see him as 7th choice CB, 5th choice RB and 4th choice DMC regardless of how those ahead of him are playing 

If Reece James and TAA were fit then white wouldn't be getting a sniff anyway, he'd be in this squad to plug a gap, that's it, why should he? Stay at home, rest, finish the season with arsenal 

Southgates an absolute fanny for saying the door is still open for him. Don't wanna play for your country, an consentrate on your day job, that's fine with me. But your England place has gone mate.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Southgates an absolute fanny for saying the door is still open for him. Don't wanna play for your country, an consentrate on your day job, that's fine with me. But your England place has gone mate.

I think you've missed the point 

He does want to play for his country 

He doesn't want to get called up to a squad because Southgates favourites are injured and sit on a bench watching maguire

When maguire, stones, Henderson and kane start both friendlies and there's a meltdown on here - that's why Ben white doesn't want to be in the squad and he's right, we all know it and moan about it 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He doesn't want to get called up to a squad because Southgates favourites are injured and sit on a bench watching maguire

When maguire, stones, Henderson and kane start both friendlies and there's a meltdown on here - that's why Ben white doesn't want to be in the squad and he's right, we all know it and moan about it 

That's fine, but his England place is gone. Unfortunately you cannot pick and choose when you want a call up.

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Probably not one for this thread, but I always find it fascinating when a guy gets to a really elite level and has no identifiable interest in the sport at all. Have no idea how you manage to get this far really.  

It's a strange one as he did really well at Leeds under Bielsa who's a complete football obsessive.

Guess White is one of those just good at absorbing all the tactical stuff as he's played in a fair few different positions in his career so it's a case of being massively switched on in his "work" hours and then no interest in Football after that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

That's fine, but his England place is gone. Unfortunately you cannot pick and choose when you want a call up.

I disagree I think you can when you have a manger like Southgate who picks and chooses when he calls him up

Southgates shown he's got no real interest in playing him, if everyone is fit he's not making the squad let alone the pitch

so why should white now be interested? 

More players should call him out on maguire Henderson and Phillips always being called up and kane play g every minute 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't Jamie Carragher or Ledley King do exactly the same but when we had top class CBs ahead of them? 

This is nothing new, it's just white is vocal about it

Scholes retired in 2004 when he was about 28. That was due to being played out on the left rather than centrally. Carragher was about 29 when he retired so you can understand that more, hitting your 30s, being very important for your club and still not getting much of a game for England with younger players coming through. Shearer also retired from international football very early considering he was still playing to a very good standard in the prem in 2005.

In the 90s Chris Sutton actually refused to play for the England B team when that was a a thing. Wasn't a bad call as in the game that took place Le Tissier scored a hat trick and still didn't get selected for France 98!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Ben White triggered the worst people 

I love Jeff Powell, one of the craziest journalists out there. Pity he actually believes his opinion as he always comes across as satire

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think you can be competitive, talented and dedicated but also like to switch off away from work.  I doubt it’s even that unusual, he just made the mistake of admitting it. 

I get that for 'normal' jobs. I'm a teacher, and some of my colleagues love going to conferences, reading about teaching in their downtime etc, whereas I don't give it a single second thought once the work is done. But on the other hand that doesn't require maintaining performances at an absurdly high standard under an intense public microscope or not getting to eat or drink what I want. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think he actually does. It's well documented he treats football as a job not a passion. Don't get me wrong I totally agrre with how Southgate treats new call ups, but I think your giving White far to much credit just blaming others.

On 16/03/2024 at 10:22, villa4europe said:

I feel a bit conflicted on it. I mean, it should be an absolutely huge honour to go and sit on that bench. The amount of players who get to do that is minimal.

At the same time, it’s obviously fine that he deems sitting on a bench pretty unimportant compared to playing regularly. 

On 16/03/2024 at 10:22, villa4europe said:

There's not much to back this up other than guesswork though, is there? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Davkaus said:

There's not much to back this up other than guesswork though, is there? 

i spoke to him, told me...

but in all seriousness his reason will be whatever reason he fell out with Holland over which im sure at the time was over playing time but i dont think that was ever a fact

15 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

The last thing we need is Ollie playing in both these games unfortunately. 

that's not something we will need to worry about, southgate will want to take a closer look at that Kane fella

a decent manager would start ollie in one game and toney in the other and let them have a shoot out, southgate will more than likely give them each 10 minutes, kane should not be playing more than 50% of these fixtures, i dont care if hes the captain, we learn nothing from it

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that's not something we will need to worry about, southgate will want to take a closer look at that Kane fella

a decent manager would start ollie in one game and toney in the other and let them have a shoot out, southgate will more than likely give them each 10 minutes, kane should not be playing more than 50% of these fixtures, i dont care if hes the captain, we learn nothing from it

I though Kane was injured. If so, Ollie may play by default. 

• Like 1

Â