Most overrated Manager in the Premier League right now?

T-Dog

Most overrated manager in the EPL right now?   

106 members have voted

1. 1. Interested on people's opinions, who do you think is the most overrated manager in the EPL right now? (and why, if you fancy giving extra detail)

• Klopp
    • Pep
    • Arteta
    • Unai "Messiah" Emery (behave yourself)
    • Big Ange
    • Erik ten Hag
    • Moyes
    • Eddie Howe
    • De Zerbi
    • O' Neill
    • Poch
    • Marco Silva
    • Andoni Iraola
    • Oliver Glasner but I'll also allow Roy, given the situation
    • Thomas Frank
    • Sean Dyche
    • Nuno
    • Rob Edwards
    • Vincent Kompany
    • Chris Wilder

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/24 at 10:51

De Zerbi , Postecoglu and Potchettino.

And in Yam Yam land Gary O’Neill who is after five minutes in the job already being labelled a legend 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jenko#4 said:

Ange for me.

The amount of positive press he gets for a guy who’s won 2x Scottish titles in a one team league,

It hasn't been a one team league since he left in fairness. Easy to look down on the Scottish league, but Celtic were on their arse when he came in and he did a very good job

That all translates into him being a decent upper-midtable manager in the PL, he has been overhyped by the media this year though

Haven’t voted. Don’t know.

I’m mainly here for the inevitable annoyance that some managers are allowed to be known by a single name (Klopp, Pep, Nuno) and others are afforded affectionate nick names (“Big Ange”, ”Poch”).

Looking forward to the various suggested nick names for those without. Oliver Glasner half full, maybe. Chris “Wild Thing” Wilder.

Or Eddie Howe many people have the bosses slaughtered this week.

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Who did you vote for? Kompany only has one vote, which I know to be mine. I was feeling very confident I would be joining you. 

Kompany almost got my vote if that helps!

• Like 1

I'll defend de Zerbi a touch. I think they did really well last year and overachieved a bit. And they've lost key players from a smaller pool of players than before whilst managing Europe too. He probably has been naive and made mistakes but i think he's still done well enough

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

I'll defend de Zerbi a touch. I think they did really well last year and overachieved a bit. And they've lost key players from a smaller pool of players than before whilst managing Europe too. He probably has been naive and made mistakes but i think he's still done well enough

He’s done a fine job. That’s not what the thread is about. If it wasn’t for the hype I’d have absolutely no issue with him. 

But he’s been linked to the Liverpool, Barca and Bayern jobs in the past couple of weeks. People seem to be acting like he’s an elite manager

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s done a fine job. That’s not what the thread is about. If it wasn’t for the hype I’d have absolutely no issue with him. 

But he’s been linked to the Liverpool, Barca and Bayern jobs in the past couple of weeks. People seem to be acting like he’s an elite manager

I think he could be a very good manager tbh. Brighton are in Europe, past a group stage, and are 5 points off 6th despite having not spent anywhere near the teams around them (maybe Wolves).

I understand the overrated nod in that he’s being linked to big jobs, but that’s because he’s doing a ridiculously good job with a team that shouldn’t be anywhere near where they are in the table…

…which is why I’ve had to vote for Pochettino.

I'd probably say Arteta.

Won FA cup in 2020 but his cup record aside from that is very very poor. Not even sure they'll get past Porto.

So they're going out of all the cups early to concentrate on the league rather than fighting on 2 or 3 fronts as Liverpool and Man. City consistently do. 

Even Man. United and Ten Hag finished one place behind them last season and they also got to both domestic cup finals (and were in the europa league longer than Arsenal).

He's done well in the league last 18 months but can he overachieve and actually win the title or will they just be nearly men under him?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Who did you vote for? Kompany only has one vote, which I know to be mine. I was feeling very confident I would be joining you. 

I cant vote for 3 so didnt vote 😂

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I went for Frank but I mainly hate the way he chews his gum with his mouth open.

He hasn't managed since Chelsea ditched him........again

1 hour ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

It hasn't been a one team league since he left in fairness. Easy to look down on the Scottish league, but Celtic were on their arse when he came in and he did a very good job

That all translates into him being a decent upper-midtable manager in the PL, he has been overhyped by the media this year though

I like Postecoglu but I see why people dont like him. Its not his fault he is a straight forward speaker but managing Spurs ruins any goodwill

If he managed Fulham he wouldnt get same attention but he would be admired for his words

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Pochettino is an incredibly exciting manager. He's perfect for Chelsea right now, and they're idiots if they sack him. They don't deserve him, actually.

But as great as Poch is for that club's ludicrously expensive, youthful squad, he's overrated. I think he's the most overrated in the PL, on balance, but that by no means makes him a poor manager -- just one who has been absurdly hyped. No one at Chelsea even understands what he's good at. Here's what he's good at: Young players and building community. But will Chelsea give him a real chance? Probably not. Their loss ...

The question wasn't bad manager. It was "most overrated." Given Chelsea's situation (after all, even the much-battered and formerly hyped ETH seems to do more with less), and Poch's recent pedigree, there's just no other contender for this poll winner who achieves the same levels of media puffery matched with mediocre PL performances.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I like Postecoglu but I see why people dont like him. Its not his fault he is a straight forward speaker but managing Spurs ruins any goodwill

If he managed Fulham he wouldnt get same attention but he would be admired for his words

I agree for the most part, do think it's unfair to call him most overrated in the league though

Be interesting to see how the English media react when they hit a real bad patch and his matey routine starts to look a bit more passive aggressive 

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Haven’t voted. Don’t know.

I’m mainly here for the inevitable annoyance that some managers are allowed to be known by a single name (Klopp, Pep, Nuno) and others are afforded affectionate nick names (“Big Ange”, ”Poch”).

Looking forward to the various suggested nick names for those without. Oliver Glasner half full, maybe. Chris “Wild Thing” Wilder.

Or Eddie Howe many people have the bosses slaughtered this week.

Erik Ten ‘touches children’ Hag

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think he could be a very good manager tbh. Brighton are in Europe, past a group stage, and are 5 points off 6th despite having not spent anywhere near the teams around them (maybe Wolves).

I understand the overrated nod in that he’s being linked to big jobs, but that’s because he’s doing a ridiculously good job with a team that shouldn’t be anywhere near where they are in the table…

…which is why I’ve had to vote for Pochettino.

Yeah like I said, he’s doing a good job. It’s just not as good as is being made out, imo

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah like I said, he’s doing a good job. It’s just not as good as is being made out, imo

Talked about in another thread and someone said they can see him getting a step up via a big serie a team, that I can see, someone like Liverpool, bayern or barca going for him is madness though, he's not there yet

That doesn't mean he's a bad manager or Brighton are shit it's just that's he's done nothing to get a seat at the top table 

Did think the links to huge clubs nicely co-incide with Brighton being 9th rather than really pushing on this season, sign of a good agent 

Edit - worth noting that discussion about top table tops also involved alonso, let's be honest alonso has a playing career which will do some heavy lifting for him, de Zerbi doesn't have those links (bar 1 year at napoli?) 

Edited by villa4europe

Â