Most overrated Manager in the Premier League right now?

T-Dog

Most overrated manager in the EPL right now?   

106 members have voted

1. 1. Interested on people's opinions, who do you think is the most overrated manager in the EPL right now? (and why, if you fancy giving extra detail)

• Klopp
    • Pep
    • Arteta
    • Unai "Messiah" Emery (behave yourself)
    • Big Ange
    • Erik ten Hag
    • Moyes
    • Eddie Howe
    • De Zerbi
    • O' Neill
    • Poch
    • Marco Silva
    • Andoni Iraola
    • Oliver Glasner but I'll also allow Roy, given the situation
    • Thomas Frank
    • Sean Dyche
    • Nuno
    • Rob Edwards
    • Vincent Kompany
    • Chris Wilder

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/24 at 10:51

11 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

I couldn't help but went for Pep.

Spends billions on talented players, probably more players have gone backwards then those who held to their standard under his tenure. The narratives of him improving players is a complete myth. 

We will never find out how he would be like if there is no resource available. But my gut feel is that he would be similar to a Tony Adam, or an ex Liverpool player. He will ask league two standard players to play in unfamiliar positions, pinging 60 yard passes etc, and hope for that moment of magic. Not one that would be able to maximise output

There is only one player gone backwards under Guardiola, someone we know well. Other than that, strange take.

56 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

There is only one player gone backwards under Guardiola, someone we know well. Other than that, strange take.

Grealish

Ruben Dias - he was superb when he first came. Remember why Pep signed him? they were having a bit of a shit start and losing at (home?) to Leicester by some shit high score. Pep found a solution though, spend £50m on Dias and he did solve that problem. For me , he seems to have gone backwards for the last 2 seasons.

Laporte - again quite underwhelming since he joined City

Cancelo - great at first, prob fell out with Pep hence the swift departure?

Doku - even he is less exciting (ok he only just came back from injury time will tell)

Leory Sane - he was again exciting to be begin with, complete fell off towards the end of his City career

Kalvin Phillips - i dont need to  explain

Probably have missed a few, but if i look at the positives, i would say, Stone, Walker are the two main one that I think has improved under him. I try not to include KDB, Silva and Rodri as they have just kept up with standard, not improved.

• Like 1

I've gone for Kompany. Hype wise big Ange- he's not done anything other than what was expected so far surely.

Southgate though, he's on another stratosphere. 

I went for Klopp. Even though I think he is a really good manager.  However, since he announced his leaving Liverpool he has effectively been awarded Sainthood. The crying the wailing the gnashing of teeth, the number of people who are treating this more like a death in the family.  He isn't the Messiah, he's just a really good manager. 

I feel the gap between Messianic saviour of the earth and the reality is big enough to make Klopp the most overrated.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Grealish

Ruben Dias - he was superb when he first came. Remember why Pep signed him? they were having a bit of a shit start and losing at (home?) to Leicester by some shit high score. Pep found a solution though, spend £50m on Dias and he did solve that problem. For me , he seems to have gone backwards for the last 2 seasons.

Laporte - again quite underwhelming since he joined City

Cancelo - great at first, prob fell out with Pep hence the swift departure?

Doku - even he is less exciting (ok he only just came back from injury time will tell)

Leory Sane - he was again exciting to be begin with, complete fell off towards the end of his City career

Kalvin Phillips - i dont need to  explain

Probably have missed a few, but if i look at the positives, i would say, Stone, Walker are the two main one that I think has improved under him. I try not to include KDB, Silva and Rodri as they have just kept up with standard, not improved.

Dias has injury problems. Doku is doing great. 🤨

Phillips was never good enough, that was undoubtedly a bad signing

The rest are all attitude issues. Laporte isn't even there anymore.

voted for o'neill. surprised at the number of kompany votes...is he really being highly praised?

and who the **** voted to unai...show yourself!

I'm saying De Zerbi and Howe. The media jumping to conclusions without a track record to back it up is how managers get overrated. Those 2 have one good season each.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Big Ange easily. All hype and little substance. 

I have a spurs supporting mate that says this about Ange. Thinks he’s been given some very good signings and is doing the bare minimum he should be doing re league position given that all their rivals are in Europe.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Dias has injury problems. Doku is doing great. 🤨

Phillips was never good enough, that was undoubtedly a bad signing

The rest are all attitude issues. Laporte isn't even there anymore.

These are all expensive signings, so again, why are we giving any excuse for this? Philips was never good enough, then why did pep sign him? Shouldn't this be part of why perhaps he is overrated? Those you said had attitude problem, so was research done on these players before making any transfer bids?

Doku was doing great from the start, but hasn't really been the same lately. But ok, he was injured before so time will tell.

Dias, you can blame injuries, or may be not who knows.

But the narrative behind him being able to improve players is false.

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Like 1

Dias wasn't £50m 😜 you can add about another £30-35m to it

But personally I think he's the best CB in th league 

I actually lean the other way, I think pep can be underrated, his skill set of managing elite players, and a lot of them, is under appreciated, I don't agree with the notion that anyone can do what he can do as the likes of poch, Tuchel several PSG managers etc have shown 

The one that really gets me about Pep is the use of Stones in midfield. I've watched quite a few games this season and Stones is doing ok in there for a CB. The pundits are going crazy for it. It seems to me to be a bit of the emperor's new clothes though. 

Stones is slow in transition, he can pass it simple, but in comparison to his team mates he is laboured in possession and I would say the same in comparison to his peers in midfield in the Prem. Against a quick break his positioning is below average and his lack of nimbleness and pace is a significant weakness. Pep gets away with it to a certain extent because of how dominant they are as a team. Stones is playing a similar role to Kamara in our team and I wouldn't swap them if you paid me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

voted for o'neill. surprised at the number of kompany votes...is he really being highly praised?

Not now he isn't, but he was at the start of the season, and unlike most of the other names being discussed he's now got a clear record of undeniable failure to compare that praise against. 

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I have a spurs supporting mate that says this about Ange. Thinks he’s been given some very good signings and is doing the bare minimum he should be doing re league position given that all their rivals are in Europe.

I think that's harsh.

Last season they finished 8th and then sold Kane.

It would've been similar to demanding DS finishes top 4 the season after we sold Grealish and then signed all of Bailey, Ings and Buendia. In the end Ings was a bit past it and the other two needed a year to settle in. We were barely above the relegation zone going into that November.

Maddison was one to fit in straight away but there were question marks over the other signings and he also put faith in Richarlison and Bissouma who'd had poor first seasons.

I really don't think Spurs potentially finishing 4th or 5th on 70 + points is doing the bare minimum. Only disappointment I'd say is them going out of the league cup very early in the season.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Confusing overrated with don't like 

Arteta did well last season....but he didn't win anything. I'm not just judging it on the league given Man. City won the treble but Arsenal tend to go out very early in the cups under him and same is happening this season.

21/22 they recovered but still bottled 4th to Spurs in the final six weeks of that season. And didn't do anything in the cups.

He's also a manager who gets a very easy ride in the media compared to others so think that is defined as a bit overrated.

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Arteta did well last season....but he didn't win anything. I'm not just judging it on the league given Man. City won the treble but Arsenal tend to go out very early in the cups under him and same is happening this season.

21/22 they recovered but still bottled 4th to Spurs in the final six weeks of that season. And didn't do anything in the cups.

He's also a manager who gets a very easy ride in the media compared to others so think that is defined as a bit overrated.

I think the easy ride that he gets is based on arsenal are better than what they were rather than arsenal winning stuff like you say

He's considered a good manager because arsenal are no longer considered shit, so don't disagree he's overrated in that regard 

Â