Most overrated Manager in the Premier League right now?

T-Dog

Most overrated manager in the EPL right now?   

106 members have voted

1. 1. Interested on people's opinions, who do you think is the most overrated manager in the EPL right now? (and why, if you fancy giving extra detail)

• Klopp
    • Pep
    • Arteta
    • Unai "Messiah" Emery (behave yourself)
    • Big Ange
    • Erik ten Hag
    • Moyes
    • Eddie Howe
    • De Zerbi
    • O' Neill
    • Poch
    • Marco Silva
    • Andoni Iraola
    • Oliver Glasner but I'll also allow Roy, given the situation
    • Thomas Frank
    • Sean Dyche
    • Nuno
    • Rob Edwards
    • Vincent Kompany
    • Chris Wilder

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/24 at 10:51

Can't be Kompany as not even the Burnley fans rate him.  Pep because he just buys the cream and moulds them into his way of playing. He's never taken an average or small size club like Klopp or Emery 

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I have a spurs supporting mate that says this about Ange. Thinks he’s been given some very good signings and is doing the bare minimum he should be doing re league position given that all their rivals are in Europe.

He's a 12 year old on football manager. Attack attack attack. No plan B, no common sense, no emphasis on keeping a clean sheet, no realism. 

Depends who’s doing the overrating.

In terms of pure disgusting bumlicking it’s probably Pep or Big Ange, although one is an all time great and the other is a pretty decent manager I think.

In terms of being preposterously overrated as a coach and tactician, it’s got to be De Zerbi or Poch

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

This thread might be awkward for some

I dont really get the calls for ange as overrated, surely he's just considered a good manager and Spurs doing alright which is exactly what they are? 

Not seen anyone claim he's a top table manager or world class or spurs will win the league under him or anything like that, no one is sneaking him in to the pep and klopp conversation 

To be overrated firstly you need to be rated... Ange just seems to be going about his business quietly 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dont really get the calls for ange as overrated, surely he's just considered a good manager and Spurs doing alright which is exactly what they are? 

Not seen anyone claim he's a top table manager or world class or spurs will win the league under him or anything like that, no one is sneaking him in to the pep and klopp conversation 

To be overrated firstly you need to be rated... Ange just seems to be going about his business quietly 

Think it's more the media have been fawning over him constantly compared to Unai.

In reality he'd just taken over a side who'd finished 8th and lost Kane so there was no guarantee at all Spurs would just rise up the league so quickly. Yes they made very good signings but he still had to integrate them all and he's done that playing excellent football and also with numerous injuries over the season in most positions.

Not really sure what's to criticise and saying top 4 was expected at the start for them is rewriting history a little.

Next season will be harder for them playing their high tempo football in CL and then having to get back up for more mundane league games so like us they'd probably drop back down the league a bit.

• Like 3

On 10/03/2024 at 00:08, villa89 said:

He's a 12 year old on football manager. Attack attack attack. No plan B, no common sense, no emphasis on keeping a clean sheet, no realism. 

Well this has aged liked a glass of milk on a hot day.... 

• Haha 1

On 08/03/2024 at 20:23, Jenko#4 said:

Ange for me.

The amount of positive press he gets for a guy who’s won 2x Scottish titles in a one team league,  1x A-League and 1x J-League title, does not add up.

‘Angeball’ is not a new fangled philosophy, it’s just a normal football played at 1.5x speed until the players break, and there is no Plan B. 

But all he has to do is call everyone ‘mate’ and they are eating out of the palm of his hand.

I am aware that this could come back to bite me on Sunday, so I apologise now…..

I've only just seen this thread but in spite of today's result I completely agree with this. He's not a bad manager by any stretch, but that's not what the question asks. In terms of the sheer plaudits he gets from the media, it's hard to think of anyone who gets more hype relative to actual success. The media have been over-hyping him since literally the start of the season. If Spurs do get 4th I expect most pundits will be gagging for him to get manager of the season, even though Spurs literally finished 4th the season before last and were regularly competing for the title in the late 2010s.

I don't think Ange is overrated, but equally just because he had a good win today that doesn't prove the people that do think he's overrated wrong, that's just dumb, it's one game, all managers in this thread who have been spoken about as being overrated will have achieved good results, and I know people aren't defending Ange based on just today, but the reactions as if he's proved people wrong is based on just one game.

I think the thing to realize with him is that how he's rated is different to how the likes of Klopp, Guardiola, and Emery are rated, they're rated highly because of what they've achieved in the game in terms of winning things, with Ange he's more celebrated because of the way his teams play football, in that sense he's more in a cateorgy with managers like Bielsa and Potter

And this season, whether Spurs get top four or not, he's done a good job, people seem to have forgotten, but before the season started many were saying that Spurs would drop into midtable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

It's because he's gotten the Klopp treatment from the media to a degree. Do get the sense that its less of a nice guy act with Postecoglu and have respect for the way he's worked his way up to a top job in the PL 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I've only just seen this thread but in spite of today's result I completely agree with this. He's not a bad manager by any stretch, but that's not what the question asks. In terms of the sheer plaudits he gets from the media, it's hard to think of anyone who gets more hype relative to actual success. The media have been over-hyping him since literally the start of the season. If Spurs do get 4th I expect most pundits will be gagging for him to get manager of the season, even though Spurs literally finished 4th the season before last and were regularly competing for the title in the late 2010s.

The media love in with him may be a bit nauseating, but Spurs were on their arse at the end of last season and lost Kane in the summer to boot. He's evidently done a good job there, as he has done in every league he's managed in

16 minutes ago, Mantis said:

They lost their best striker and haven't replaced him.  Next to no-one was predicting a Spurs top 4 finish.  It's OK to say he's done very well should they get there.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Well this has aged liked a glass of milk on a hot day.... 

Indeed. Big Ange has unai's number. Our high line is food and drink for him. 

Mate. 

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They lost their best striker and haven't replaced him.  Next to no-one was predicting a Spurs top 4 finish.  It's OK to say he's done very well should they get there.

9 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

The media love in with him may be a bit nauseating, but Spurs were on their arse at the end of last season and lost Kane in the summer to boot. He's evidently done a good job there, as he has done in every league he's managed in

Here's the thing: not once did I say I don't think he's done a good job - he has. The media have just been hyping him to an insane degree.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Here's the thing: not once did I say I don't think he's done a good job - he has. The media have just been hyping him to an insane degree.

OK - I guess I'd say he's not overrated in the slightest.  He's rated pretty much exactly where he should be; even if that's annoying.

18 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Indeed. Big Ange has unai's number. Our high line is food and drink for him. 

Mate. 

except that time we beat them :P 

Â