Match Thread: Villa v Man United

limpid

These matches when we dominate possession and create the most chances but fail to exploit them, we tend to lose to the one or two chances the oppositions does exploit. Maddening.

• Like 1

We started far too slow and now find ourselves chasing the game. We've been decent but just over playing in the final third and taking too long to get shots off. We really need to be more intensive from the get go instead of giving ourselves  too much work to do. I don't understand why Torres is on the bench if he isn't fit enough to start, you could easily take him off later on if necessary. 

• Like 2

Responded better to going behind than vs Newcastle and Chelsea, so there's some hope here. Feels like not getting the luck of the bounce when it's in the box.. McGinn seems more on it this week. Need to get Bailey into it more.

Obviously danger we'll just get picked off on the break now, but we have to try get a something from this match.

How little ratface isn't on a yellow is a recurring mystery. Vile excuse for a footballer.

• Like 2

Playing well. Not sure we will convert it into anything though.

and if we don’t win it won’t be “refereeing corrupshun” which it seems to be every week in here. 

7 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Agreed.  But noting when it's a bad call is, to me, fair gam.  VErane should have been booked (on Ollie) , bruno should have been booked (on Bailey)  Kamara did not fould rashford,  KAmara was fouled 3 times in quick succession and nothing given.   Those were all errors.  If I was a MC fan (besides being ashamed of myself) I would have probably seen others that favor us.

"Noting" yes, but have a look at what people here write. 

We were complete shit until they scored. We're down because of our own doing.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Is Mcginn for **** real?

He's gone back to Gerrard McGinn. Receive ball. Get it stuck under feet. Don't lift head. Swivel and hit it anywhere. **** me.

He's been o.k. Was unlucky with that thunderbolt shot and he at least is realising there are players either side of him to pass the ball to when he receives it.

Second half is the type of moment in the season where we need to see Luiz getting on the ball and dominating. Both their CMs are on yellows now so they'll drop off. It's great he puts in world class performances v Sheffield United but this is the 45 minutes where he has to step up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

It’s not neutral. I can see why the free kick was (incorrectly) given and why a very marginal offside wasn’t given.

Unlucky for us, but hardly terrible refereeing. 

It wasn't marginal though - the guy was standing further offside and getting closer to being onside but never made it.  If he'd broken past the defender then maybe but the linesman should spot that he never got back into an onside position before challenging for the ball.

5 minutes ago, jim said:

No we shouldn’t, if we scored we would. We didn’t so we shouldn’t.

You watching the same game!? They've down sod all apart from that goal. We've been by far the better team after their goal and had a shitload of chances.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

The ref giving that foul and the Lino not giving offside is literally the reason it’s 1-0. It’s terrible officiating. 

No. It’s incorrect decisions, but not terrible officiating. They’re so marginal.

Unless you want VAR to have a say on literally every decision across the pitch.

The far bigger issue is having Maguire dominate Kamara and somehow allowing a striker to be entirely free in the 6-yard box. Not the ref/linesmen not getting marginal calls right. 

• Like 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Lol no he absolutely doesn't. Not everything is a conspiracy against Villa.

IT IS. THE SHIT REFS OMG.

Every. Single. ****. Match. Thread. 

• Like 3

Just now, duke313 said:

Why? We’ve been the better team. 

Maybe because we’re losing and our defence is terrible and cannot be relied upon.

I’d leave the midfield and attack as is for now even though the finishing has been awful but we need Pau to come on and maybe Digne as our defence is so ropey again.

Our response to the goal has been really encouraging and it’s the best we’ve played for while (apart from Sheff U, obviously) but we’ve been sloppy around their box. I just can’t see us scoring, sadly.