Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think we'll be letting Digne, Chambers and KKH leave in summer. We have Sousa and Nedeljkovic as our young LB and RB to progress and provide the needed depth and competition to the squad. I think we require two attacking full backs Moreno and Cash are essentially providing this. We also need 5 CBs to allow us to play with a LB being a LCB (like we did in pre season with Pau there) or a RB be a RCB (like we do now with Konsa). I think Carlos and Mings are perfect for the central point of the back three. Mings will need time to get over his injury and back up to speed so needs to be eased back into it next season, there is a new tactical set up he needs to learn too. Lenglet is going back to Barcelona in summer so I think a key signing for us is another LCB ball progressive passer / carrier like Pau. Also if we can get the attacking right wing back and move Cash on. 

Then for midfield we move on Dendonker and Sanson, so we need another 6 as competition for Kamara. People seem to forget we started the season with high press tactics which failed in a couple of key games. Kamara wasn't suited to pressing high, so the tactical switch where he instead remained a CDM and filled into back 3 was pivotal to our run of form post Liverpool loss. So I think a different profile of player is needed, still a more defensive 6 but one who is suited to the press and all action midfield to chase down teams higher up the pitch. 

I think Buendia is really best suited to playing the second striker role off Watkins or the left sided free 8/10 role. If we think of Bailey/Diaby covering the RM winger slot. We would need to replace Zaniolo but with a player who can play as the central striker or in support. Think of Liverpool who have Nunez as their only Striker and Gakpo is that versatile alternative. We need that profile in. The versatile striker/forward. Ferran Torres is a great example too. 

So that for me would be the 4 key areas for us to solve in summer.

Left Center back who can progress ball and key for build up play

Right Wing Back who can replace Cash and provide consistent attacking threat

Central Midfielder an aggressive 6 to provide alternative to Kamara

Striker / Forward versatile player who can play as Striker or in support

Left Center back - Hermoso.

Right Wing Back - Arnau Martinez or Molina.

Central Midfielder - Palacios from Leverkusen or Keph Thuram from Nice.

Striker / Forward - This could literally be anyone.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Carlos was because i thought getting 100k p/w off our books for a backup CB, might be a good plan with the further reducing salary limits next year.

opinions, i guess.

Surely if you're putting together a spreadsheet like that, you should be focusing on more than just opinions. Players out of contract would be definite outs, for example. 

Wolves would probably want stupid money for him but someone like Cunha would be a great fit in our team currently.

Was sceptical when they signed him for 40m + but after six months settling in he has been very good this season.

He was making the Chelsea players look like schoolkids out there and fully deserved his hat trick.

Prefers coming in on the left and also in attacking midfield when receiving the ball but can play at CF if required so that is exactly what we need to cover Ollie unless we're going to take another Duran style punt.

Of course it's important to be patient with Diaby as he could easily come good soon but if we're in the CL having another pretty proven player at top level in final third is very very important just for rotation purposes.

On 04/02/2024 at 13:04, mikeyp102 said:

We will sign someone from Leverkusen again 

Tapsoba would be my pick, always rated him and he's still only 25 so great age to get prime years from CB.

Hopefully we give Mings a chance when he returns but given his age and seriousness of the injury it's probably a case of him losing a yard of pace and so it will be hard to continue to be effective in Emery's system. We'll see.

If we do have to replace him then Jonathan Tah's game has been enhanced by Xabi Alonso just like Mings has been by Emery's presence. Despite being around for decades seemingly he's actually 27.

So those are two very solid players off the never ending Leverkusen conveyer belt although Frimpong is more obvious link.

Cash would actually do pretty well in the Bundesliga with the general style so wonder if he's interested in playing abroad? You'd think so with playing for Poland and I remember about 18 months ago there were some links to Atletico Madrid but they randomly signed Matt Doherty instead.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Tapsoba would be my pick, always rated him and he's still only 25 so great age to get prime years from CB.

Hopefully we give Mings a chance when he returns but given his age and seriousness of the injury it's probably a case of him losing a yard of pace and so it will be hard to continue to be effective in Emery's system. We'll see.

If we do have to replace him then Jonathan Tah's game has been enhanced by Xabi Alonso just like Mings has been by Emery's presence. Despite being around for decades seemingly he's actually 27.

So those are two very solid players off the never ending Leverkusen conveyer belt although Frimpong is more obvious link.

Cash would actually do pretty well in the Bundesliga with the general style so wonder if he's interested in playing abroad? You'd think so with playing for Poland and I remember about 18 months ago there were some links to Atletico Madrid but they randomly signed Matt Doherty instead.

I think we’re linked to Palacios in Jan very briefly and of course Frimpong. Wirtz would be absolutely amazing in our system under Emery and would take us to the next level, but he’s probably a long way out of our reach. Good shout on the cbs 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think we’re linked to Palacios in Jan very briefly and of course Frimpong. Wirtz would be absolutely amazing in our system under Emery and would take us to the next level, but he’s probably a long way out of our reach. Good shout on the cbs 

Palacios would be very decent, 25 and a decent number of caps for Argentina already. He wouldn't be coming here to be subbed so I assume he'd be seriously considered as a Kamara/Luiz replacement if/when that times comes.

Would rather not but ultimately that's the sensible forward planning clubs should be doing.

On 04/02/2024 at 11:48, smg said:

Why bring Ramsey back he’s not even a regular in a shit Burnley team. Also Archer is hardly justifying a place at an even worse team than Burnley.

You may well not rate Archer, he's hardly pulled up trees, but we will be re-signing him because we have a compulsory buyback clause in the event of their relegation, which is now basically guaranteed. I don't know what price this buyback is set at, but whether people like it or not we're going to be spending a part of our summer budget on bringing him back. 

• Like 1

On 02/02/2024 at 22:00, Hank Scorpio said:

Let's start on a negative. Who being sold? Luiz, Martinez, Kamara? Got to comply to FFP...unless your a sky 6 team of course.

who, if anyone that gets sold will be down to who comes in for what player and what offer is tabled.

At the end of the day if Arsenal paid 100m for Luis then we aren't going to sell Watkins for example unless the player agitates for a move as we wouldn't require the finances.

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

You may well not rate Archer, he's hardly pulled up trees, but we will be re-signing him because we have a compulsory buyback clause in the event of their relegation, which is now basically guaranteed. I don't know what price this buyback is set at, but whether people like it or not we're going to be spending a part of our summer budget on bringing him back. 

Apparently its 10 million

• Thanks 1

On 02/02/2024 at 23:00, Hank Scorpio said:

Let's start on a negative. Who being sold? Luiz, Martinez, Kamara? Got to comply to FFP...unless your a sky 6 team of course.

Cash be probably the obvious one to sell and might stop us selling a star player. McGinn might be a wildcard sale

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Apparently its 10 million

Ha, no it isn't. Have you made that up? Be honest now.

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

McGinn might be a wildcard sale

I'd be really against that. Need a stalwart to keep the dressing room culture right.

Bearing in mind the fees we'd get, I'd sell Luiz before McGinn.

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Ha, no it isn't. Have you made that up? Be honest now.

I'd be really against that. Need a stalwart to keep the dressing room culture right.

Bearing in mind the fees we'd get, I'd sell Luiz before McGinn.

Has been reported in Sheffield that they paid 8 million and mandatory buy back is 10 million

If they stay up we get 10 million as an add on

So many questions need to be answered in defence before Sep 1st . 

Do we still want to get Digne off the wage bill despite being our best leftback

Is Moreno going to regain his explosiveness 

Is Mings going to be fit for September and if so will he be as good as he was 

Is Carlos going to be sold on to get his 100k off the books 

Is Sousa going to compete at lb or will he need another loan 

Will Kosta come in and be competitive at rb or will he need a loan. 

Are we selling Cash and if so are we moving Konsa to rb full time meaning we need another centre back ? 

Or do we need a new senior right back. 

The one good thing we have is that all things being equal and fitness withstanding Pau and Konsa would be a decent first choice pairing at a good age. 

Â