Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

On 13/02/2024 at 22:33, paul514 said:

I take these threads of discussing transfer business, past, present, future.

Don’t let the mods here you say that mate ;)

Be interesting to see which areas we try to strength this summer considering the injuries we’ve had.  DM cover, a striker and a potential RB look the obvious areas

Does kind of feel like the club missed an opportunity to get bodies in during Jan but who could have predicted all these injuries !

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They’re meerkats TRO.

I know.....That was supposed to be the message from Monchi.

It WAS meant to be a joke.....sorry.

I'll get my coat.................

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Be interesting to see which areas we try to strength this summer considering the injuries we’ve had.  DM cover, a striker and a potential RB look the obvious areas

Does kind of feel like the club missed an opportunity to get bodies in during Jan but who could have predicted all these injuries !

I think you have answered it.

10 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you have answered it.

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A lot did say we needed to strengthen our depth. And suggested we'd be better singing someone than no-one.

I dodnt agree  and shared the view of those that thought it would be better to buy only those that improve the first team and make the bench stronger by proxy. Given we couldn't afford to do that, it meant signing no-one (or at least no-one on a current first teamer's salary).

The fact the others were right in hindsight,  doesn't mean they were right at the time. Looking at the bad luck nature of some of the injuries,  many couldn't have been predicted, although Kamara and Carlos seem to be showing distinct injury proneness now, and should be expected to miss chunks of next season.

We have to sign big this summer if we want to sustain another season of European football and a top 4 challenge.

Edited by MrBlack

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know.....That was supposed to be the message from Monchi.

It WAS meant to be a joke.....sorry.

I'll get my coat.................

Lol I was just messing with you TRO. My crap sense of humour. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Lol I was just messing with you TRO. My crap sense of humour. 

sorry, for biting....I should Know Better.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Mbappe has told PSG he's leaving in the summer.

Get that it's happening gif up and running boys!

drooling dog.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Our name has been thrown in with others as looking at Paqueta in the summer 😂

Is this funny because it's likely not true or because you don't rate him?

Just now, Tom13 said:

Is this funny because it's likely not true or because you don't rate him?

Well he is still potentially facing a gambling ban and had pretty much signed for City before was revealed

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MrBlack said:

A lot did say we needed to strengthen our depth. And suggested we'd be better singing someone than no-one.

I dodnt agree  and shared the view of those that thought it would be better to buy only those that improve the first team and make the bench stronger by proxy. Given we couldn't afford to do that, it meant signing noone (or at least noone on a current first teamer's salary).

The fact the others were right in hindsight,  doesn't mean they were right at the time. Looking at the bad luck nature of some of the injuries,  many couldn't have been predicted, although Kamara and Carlos seem to be showing distinct injury proneness now, and should be expected to miss chunks of next season.

We have to sign big this summer if we want to sustain another season of European football and a top 4 challenge.

it wasn't right in hindsight though, it was just right. One player in the squad that can play DM, fatigue, injury and form exist. They exist even more so in a season of something like 55 games too

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

it wasn't right in hindsight though, it was just right. One player in the squad that can play DM, fatigue, injury and form exist. They exist even more so in a season of something like 55 games too

But who were we signing for the 10m or so we had available that is better than Tim Iroegbunam?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Regardless of FFP January is a terrible window to bring in players. FFP made it worse hence the lack of players in across the PL

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

But who were we signing for the 10m or so we had available that is better than Tim Iroegbunam?

Diaby signing just shows every signing is a gamble/work in progress. Can say this about numerous signings at other clubs. I posted along these lines in previous window including mentioning some transfer person on a podcast saying stats show only around 40-50% of transfers across all leagues qualify as a success according to data over long period. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

9 hours ago, MrBlack said:

1, Any player available for loan
2 We spent more than that, you could have had Arthur Vermeeren for less than what we spent just as an example.

10 hours ago, MrBlack said:

We shall find out a bit about "Young Tim" in the coming weeks, it's a great opportunity for him, but there is a lot of pressure upon him too, hopefully he will thrive on it.  🤞

1 minute ago, John said:

We shall find out a bit about "Young Tim" in the coming weeks, it's a great opportunity for him, but there is a lot of pressure upon him too, hopefully he will thrive on it.  🤞

We will.

@paul514 Whether an unproven 19yr old, only experienced in a Belgian league that is a notoriously poor indicator is better than him,  and would have been worth curtailing all our other business for is something we'll potentiality find out in the coming months.

Also, whether he'd have even come to us with no likelihood of playing is a serious factor.

• Like 1

Â