Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

37 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A quality DM and RB for me, if we only signed those and nothing more i'd be happy enough.

I’m the same. I really want to see this squad get another season together but without all the injuries. Bring Mings and Buendia back in, maybe Philogene too. We’ve got a great team that can still improve. 

Of course we do have to factor in the injuries to Kamara, Mings and Buendia, we don’t know how well they will recover. Plus the loans ending for Lenglet and Zaniolo. 

I think we’ll bring a few players in to increase the quality and depth, but I’m still fairly relaxed because of the quality of this squad.  

15 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

In finance we'd call what we did a contingent repo.

We needed cash to satisfy FFP, Sheffield needed a striker but knew they couldn't afford the bill if they dropped.

So we sold with an obligation to buy back at a fixed price if they dropped.

And so we monitized 16 million for him, then buy back at slightly less which we now amortize over however many years he signs for. Cant remember what the exact $ buyback number is, say 13:

23/24: we recognize 16 million pure profit on FFP

24/25 (and 3 more seasons): say 3.25 million a year for 4 years of FFP cost

Its all financial engineering, but isn't the whole world these days...

Thanks for that, CV,  sounds like a clever piece of work.

26 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It was aimed at Ornstein who should know better. Transfer rumours are rubbish at the best of times. Tanswell wrote similar copy days later. 

Ornstein during the Jan window 

“But funds must be raised before the end of June to stay compliant with profit and sustainability rules and that has alerted suitors, who believe offers above £50million will at least be contemplated.”

The next rumour was selling Duran to Chelsea.

By March the club publish this that despite losses “we continue to operate within the Premier League’s Profit and Sustainability rules.“

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2024/march/04/aston-villa-end-of-year-accounts/

Newcastle have legitimate FFP issues though and would be in no position to afford JJ so the story was entirely speculative from the get go. 

Both Villa and Newcastle are within PSR for 22/23 (we know this because neither club was charged) but that doesn't mean that either or both clubs will be within PSR without selling a player before June 30th. Nothing about the club's statement contradicts that reporting. And to be clear, the reason I mention Tanswell is because he specifically mentioned both Ramsey and Luiz as possible sales after the accounts were released as well; that was speculation, not a promise, but it wasn't just in January that interest from other clubs was rumoured. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Football Insider linking us with Callum O'Hare.

lol

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Someone mentioned him before.

No problem at all with him as a body. Won't break the bank. Home grown. Always had a good attitude on the pitch.

The wider 'problem' we have is that we have four key players in Mings, Buendia, Ramsey and Kamara all coming back and we don't know what level they'll be at.

They're all unsellable because of last year's injuries so we have to sort of cover them, but equally don't over pack the squad. If they're back to where they were they'll all be hoping to start 35 games a season.

Firstly think there's no chance we'd be interested in him or that he'd be interested in us, but also thought he was pretty much definitely going to Celtic?

Why would we think of selling Ramsey. It is not a problem to have 2 players for 1 spot.

If this year taught us anything it is that we need quality back up players in all areas of the pitch.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

In finance we'd call what we did a contingent repo.

We needed cash to satisfy FFP, Sheffield needed a striker but knew they couldn't afford the bill if they dropped.

So we sold with an obligation to buy back at a fixed price if they dropped.

And so we monitized 16 million for him, then buy back at slightly less which we now amortize over however many years he signs for. Cant remember what the exact $ buyback number is, say 13:

23/24: we recognize 16 million pure profit on FFP

24/25 (and 3 more seasons): say 3.25 million a year for 4 years of FFP cost

Its all financial engineering, but isn't the whole world these days...

I think it will work even better when we sell him again this summer (let's say to Leicester) on a similar deal.  We get to monitize another £15m this summer.  So basically we'd have made over £30m in 2 years at a cost of £3.25m over the next 4 years.  Sounds like a genius plan to me.  Unless of course the amortisation is forfeit when a player is sold?  But even then we'd have made additional profit than on a straight sell.

Edited by allani

One to look at for the future: IFK Göteborg in Sweden have a 18 y.o guy from Mali named Malick Yalcouye that is playing his first couple games of senior football this season. He's been probably the best player in the league so far and is outshining Lucas Bergwall and everyone else in midfield. He's been ridiculously dominant.

As mentioned he's only 18 and he doesn't speak English and hardly even French. He'd be a perfect guy to sign and then loan out to Vitoria or the Championship if possible. Never know with young players but he looks special. He does everything at twice the speed than the players around him, both on and off the ball and with his thought process. Hope we send someone to scout him. Apparently Liverpool and a bunch of French clubs already have.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Why would we think of selling Ramsey. It is not a problem to have 2 players for 1 spot.

If this year taught us anything it is that we need quality back up players in all areas of the pitch.

The only reason we'd even consider selling Ramsey is for FFP, that's it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

As mentioned he's only 18 and he doesn't speak English and hardly even French. He'd be a perfect guy to sign and then loan out to Vitoria or the Championship if possible. Never know with young players but he looks special. He does everything at twice the speed than the players around him, both on and off the ball and with his thought process. Hope we send someone to scout him. Apparently Liverpool and a bunch of French clubs already have.

Didn’t stop Gerrard becoming an England international 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Oliver Arblaster big talent. lets get it done.

Wonder could we include Archer in any deal?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Oliver Arblaster big talent. lets get it done.

That surname makes him sound like a Final Fantasy Character. That alone makes me want him. 

level him up so he goes from scoring goals to goalagas

gaming hat off, he’s highly rated and if I’m correct he captained a game the other week, so has something about him as a person 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

That surname makes him sound like a Final Fantasy Character. That alone makes me want him. 

level him up so he goes from scoring goals to goalagas

gaming hat off, he’s highly rated and if I’m correct he captained a game the other week, so has something about him as a person 

Quality name! 

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

it provides a massive profit that allows us to spend several hundred million.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't sell him but that is a good reason to accept a very high offer for him.

We could use the money we get from selling Dougie to buy a replacement for him. The new guy could be anything! He could even be as good as Luiz!

JJ is the only player of first team quality that can take one of the homegrown spots in the European squad. Selling him at this point makes no sense to me. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, trom_borg said:

JJ is the only player of first team quality that can take one of the homegrown spots in the European squad. Selling him at this point makes no sense to me. 

Agreed.  If we want to add depth, giving us one less name in our euro squad is a strange way to go about it. 

36 minutes ago, sne said:

One to look at for the future: IFK Göteborg in Sweden have a 18 y.o guy from Mali named Malick Yalcouye that is playing his first couple games of senior football this season. He's been probably the best player in the league so far and is outshining Lucas Bergwall and everyone else in midfield. He's been ridiculously dominant.

Add it to the pile.

Champions League player in 5 years then.

The club should really look to get in touch with you.

• Haha 1

Â