Life goals & spending money

ender4

So this is a weird question but I’m a little bit confused with life right now and I’m hoping the VT hive mind has some ideas.

In my life, I’ve always had a goal. Started with educational goals, then career goals, then family goals, then material goals, then experiences goals. So started by getting a degree, then getting a job and advancing my career, then meeting my wife, getting married, buying a house together, having kids, buying decent cars, going on regular holidays. 

And now I’ve just got the point where everything in life is settled, just paid off my mortgage, have 2 decent cars, go on 3 nice holidays a year, have a job that I really enjoy. 

So what to do with life now? Feels like I’ve completed this game. 

Also, I’m on a decent salary and I’m not a big spender. I’m pretty content with what I own and spend money on. My pension pot is healthy and I have savings. I’m not into flash cars or have any expensive tastes or hobbies. What do I spend my money on now? Do I make myself spend on ‘bigger & better’ things? Or just keep saving for no purpose. 

Im a little freaked out. 

Get yourself a massive vinyl record collecting habit. That'll soon empty your pockets of any disposable income you've got kicking about. 

If I get in a position where I've got some spare money and/or time, I think I'd start following the England cricket team around the world. Get to watch the cricket and visit some lovely, warm places. I get if you're not into cricket, that might not be for you though. 

Can you start doing more of the things you enjoy? Have you got time to do some volunteering? Could you get invovled in a local community group? If you're in a trade union, could you start getting more involved in that? Are you into local politics? Could you try and become a local councillor?  

• Like 3

@Anthony is bang on, the one thing you can't buy is time. Use it. Can you retire yet? Maybe go down to 3 or 4 days a week? 

You are in a wonderful position, that 95% of the rest of the population would love to be in. Down to your hard work and non-materialistic ways, so you deserve to be in that position. Enjoy the spoils now. If you don't want to buy stuff, then you can create memories instead.

• Like 1

You don’t necessarily need to do anything. You have kids, focus on them instead. (Not saying you don’t already of course). Treat them to the nice things, make their lives easier, because they sure as hell aren’t getting help from the government. As soon as I had my kids, first at 29, my goal was pretty clear. Everything I have done in the past six years of my life is for them, and it will be going forward as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

So this is a weird question but I’m a little bit confused with life right now and I’m hoping the VT hive mind has some ideas.

In my life, I’ve always had a goal. Started with educational goals, then career goals, then family goals, then material goals, then experiences goals. So started by getting a degree, then getting a job and advancing my career, then meeting my wife, getting married, buying a house together, having kids, buying decent cars, going on regular holidays. 

And now I’ve just got the point where everything in life is settled, just paid off my mortgage, have 2 decent cars, go on 3 nice holidays a year, have a job that I really enjoy. 

Also, I’m on a decent salary and I’m not a big spender. I’m pretty content with what I own and spend money on. My pension pot is healthy and I have savings. I’m not into flash cars or have any expensive tastes or hobbies. What do I spend my money on now? Do I make myself spend on ‘bigger & better’ things? Or just keep saving for no purpose. 

Im a little freaked out. 

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Im a little freaked out. 

Life problems aye?

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

@Anthony is bang on, the one thing you can't buy is time. Use it. Can you retire yet? Maybe go down to 3 or 4 days a week? 

You are in a wonderful position, that 95% of the rest of the population would love to be in. Down to your hard work and non-materialistic ways, so you deserve to be in that position. Enjoy the spoils now. If you don't want to buy stuff, then you can create memories instead.

Still 20+ years to my official retirement, though I will retire much much earlier. The other issue with that is that I really (currently) enjoy my job. 

I also can’t cut down hours as my workload wouldn’t change whether I do three, four or five days at work. It’s flexible enough that I can do whatever hours I need to do to get the job done. 

Im a little stuck what memories I want to create. Obviously time with the kids is great, especially the holidays. But what else to do unless I go crazy with a full-blown midlife crisis mode.

Im a little freaked out. 

Do whatever you’re comfortable with. If you ain’t a spender you ain’t a spender although I have heard of people saying that when they get diagnosed terminal that they wish they had spent more of their money having fun. You’ve got kids so you’ll no doubt find comfort knowing they will have a bit when you’ve gone.  How about putting a bit of your time back into the planet and the less fortunate ? Not saying donate money but you could get a lot of satisfaction helping a good cause with your time, but maybe that’s not you. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

Â