Life goals & spending money

ender4

As some have alluded to, the only thing you have diminishing is time.

My old man (HEITS) had a paper cutting with a verse on in his wallet for years which I remember to this day:

He gave his health in search of wealth
to gold became a slave
He gave his wealth in search of health
and only found a grave

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 31/01/2024 at 14:11, ender4 said:

So this is a weird question but I’m a little bit confused with life right now and I’m hoping the VT hive mind has some ideas.

In my life, I’ve always had a goal. Started with educational goals, then career goals, then family goals, then material goals, then experiences goals. So started by getting a degree, then getting a job and advancing my career, then meeting my wife, getting married, buying a house together, having kids, buying decent cars, going on regular holidays. 

And now I’ve just got the point where everything in life is settled, just paid off my mortgage, have 2 decent cars, go on 3 nice holidays a year, have a job that I really enjoy. 

So what to do with life now? Feels like I’ve completed this game. 

Also, I’m on a decent salary and I’m not a big spender. I’m pretty content with what I own and spend money on. My pension pot is healthy and I have savings. I’m not into flash cars or have any expensive tastes or hobbies. What do I spend my money on now? Do I make myself spend on ‘bigger & better’ things? Or just keep saving for no purpose. 

Im a little freaked out. 

The answer is obvious.  Buy a Porsche on credit and run up enormous debts on credit cards on hookers. Snorting coke off their tits appears to be compulsory in such circumstances. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

The answer is obvious.  Buy a Porsche on credit and run up enormous debts on credit cards on hookers. Snorting coke off their tits appears to be compulsory in such circumstances. 

Or buy a boat.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, sidcow said:

I can remember being highly delighted by The Testament by John Grisham, where some guy arranges his will so his relatives think they are going to inherit millions but would get nothing, and to make sure they all fell out.

Knowing what people are like when it comes to sorting out wills, the latter would be the easiest part to arrange.

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I can remember being highly delighted by The Testament by John Grisham, where some guy arranges his will so his relatives think they are going to inherit millions but would get nothing, and to make sure they all fell out.

Knowing what people are like when it comes to sorting out wills, the latter would be the easiest part to arrange.

Never fails to amaze me how grubby people can get with Wills.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sidcow said:

When siblings fall out over who gets the mantlepiece clock, you know it has more to do with who Mom and Dad liked the best, rather than a clock which never gets wound.

• Haha 1

On 31/01/2024 at 14:11, ender4 said:

So this is a weird question but I’m a little bit confused with life right now and I’m hoping the VT hive mind has some ideas.

In my life, I’ve always had a goal. Started with educational goals, then career goals, then family goals, then material goals, then experiences goals. So started by getting a degree, then getting a job and advancing my career, then meeting my wife, getting married, buying a house together, having kids, buying decent cars, going on regular holidays. 

And now I’ve just got the point where everything in life is settled, just paid off my mortgage, have 2 decent cars, go on 3 nice holidays a year, have a job that I really enjoy. 

So what to do with life now? Feels like I’ve completed this game. 

Also, I’m on a decent salary and I’m not a big spender. I’m pretty content with what I own and spend money on. My pension pot is healthy and I have savings. I’m not into flash cars or have any expensive tastes or hobbies. What do I spend my money on now? Do I make myself spend on ‘bigger & better’ things? Or just keep saving for no purpose. 

Im a little freaked out. 

Altruism is your way forward. I could with £10k to fill a financial hole I've managed to get myself into. Write me a cheque and you'll feel much better. 

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Or people factoring in inheritances into their financial plans. 

Â