villan95

We might not ultimately win as is always a possibility in any game, but I'm not sure how it's hard to see us beating them, only Arsenal and Liverpool have won more game than us, and we're playing a team that has lost more games than any other team in the Premier League this season, they've got less points after twenty-two games than our relegated team had after twenty-two games, in other words they're one of the worst teams in Premier League history, so it's really a game we should be winning.

After the lacklustre performance yesterday, we must try something different, whether it be change in personnel or system, or both. We cannot keep churning out this narrow 4222 every game because teams have worked us out and it’s all too predictable.

Clearly missing Pau, but several players are either not 100% fit or woefully out of form. I’m not sure what the answer is, but I very much hope Emery can work something out. Perhaps we just need a positive result and a couple of goals to get us going?

Wilder will be licking his lips at our non-existent press and the way we’re defending set plays/crosses right now. He’ll love a tight game and to pinch a 1-0, which is why we need to mix it up a bit.

I don’t think Emery will but I would basically play a 433 / 4231 and get two forward players from either Bailey, Diaby, Zaniolo or Ramsey pulling wide to stretch the opposition a bit. I wonder if we can get 60 minutes out of Ramsey? If we don’t think we can, then Diaby or Zaniolo will have to start. I would also bring Carlos back in to replace Cash and hope we can defend a little bit better?

Martinez

Konsa      Carlos       Lenglet       Moreno

Kamara       Luiz              

Bailey             McGinn            Ramsey 

Watkins            

Subs:  Olsen, Wright, Cash, Chambers, Iroegbunam, Tielemans, Rogers?, Zaniolo, Diaby

I think it’s going to be a tight game but hoping that we can cause them problems with some width to our play. It’s a game we really should be winning after all. I’m going with a narrow 1-2 win though.  UTV

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Absolutely this is a must win. They are bottom for a reason and the f*ckers jammed a point against us at VP by playing ultra defensive Wilder tactics.

Basically if we can't beat these at least once this season we may as well pack up and go home. Unai needs to show that he's an elite manager by putting an end to this horrific run we're on.

I wouldn’t say they jammed a point. WE jammed a point. We had absolutely no answer to their defensive tactics. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

I wouldn’t say they jammed a point. WE jammed a point. We had absolutely no answer to their defensive tactics. 

Apart from the disallowed perfectly good goal

• Like 1

First time I think I've ever given Unai a very poor rating was the Newcastle game.

Let's hope I'm not doing the same after this one! (Which I'll probably have to do if we don't win, given how poor the opposition have been all season.)

10 hours ago, Rodders said:

Hard to see how we win as we show no ability to adapt or respond to changing circumstances. We've been found out and unless subsequent performances show some evidence of positive responding, we're going in a tailspin. I have no confidence this side will show the capacity to respond to their tactics. Without the strokes of luck we had before Christmas,we're currently quite anemic. 

Can hope for better, but been too long since we've shown serious spark to be able to expect it. Another loss.

We won a league game all of two games back. It just feels longer because of the winter break.

Infact if you break it down it's not like we're just been throwing any endless winnable games. Man. United was a horrific second half but not like everyone wins there, Chelsea and Spurs haven't in recent times and again just before xmas Everton beat Newcastle and Chelsea at Goodison so a 0-0 there wasn't terrible.

Not beating Sheffield United again would be terrible. It must not happen.

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Wilder does seem one of these managers who has a good record v us compared to others.

They thrashed us 4-1 in 18/19 and then a 3-3 at VP (although of course they messed up a 3-0 lead with 10 minutes left). Then the following season we lost 2-0 at Bramall Lane and then the infamous 0-0 and ghost goal.

They were terrible in 20/21 but still beat us 1-0 when we were flying.

Overall Wilder has just one loss in 7 games v us and we're trying to avoid losing at Bramall Lane on a fourth consecutive occasion.

The good news is it'll take about 10 mins to tell if we're still playing at a snail's pace.

That happens, I'll be turning the game off. Not watching another painful death by a thousand cuts.

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

The good news is it'll take about 10 mins to tell if we're still playing at a snail's pace.

That happens, I'll be turning the game off. Not watching another painful death by a thousand cuts.

Looking for a new team then ?

59 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Nope.

You?

Nope, quite happy with the progress the club is making looking forward to continued development in the next couple of seasons that could allow us to have a serious impact on the Champions league rather than do a Newcastle this season. Patience is the key.

Any idea if Pau will be fit for this one? 

Of he was fit I’d push Konsa back to right back and put Carlos in the middle. 

Again if fir Bailey has to start. 

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Moreno

Doug Kamara

Bailey Tielemans McGinn

Watkins

2 hours ago, smg said:

Nope, quite happy with the progress the club is making looking forward to continued development in the next couple of seasons that could allow us to have a serious impact on the Champions league rather than do a Newcastle this season. Patience is the key.

Cool. So you don't want to qualify this season? I'd like us to.

• Like 2