Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

I was only listening to the match on 5 live but the co-commentator was Mark Warburton and he was talking about Rogers being a weakness targeted by Luton for a long time before he was taken off in the second half.

It was interesting to hear a professional coach / manager’s opinion. That’s not to say that he didn’t do well on the ball but the fcommentary really highlighted how often he was out of position off the ball or beaten too easily etc. And then Unai hooked him so it seemed he was thinking the same thing.

'The positives outweighed the negatives, he looked brilliant on the ball, great control, showed good strengh at times, played some excellent passes, could have scored but for a brilliant save from the Luton keeper, and also could have had a few assists' 🖊️ just watchig the highlights and was reminded that it was also good play from Rogers that lead to our second goal, they had to foul him to stop him and from the resulting set-piece Luiz assisted Watkins

• Like 1

I was impressed by his performance, defensively even Bailey had his issues, but it will come. His presence and strength is important for our run. Hopefully Ramsey is back soon, the issue is without Kamara we’re already too attacking minded. With Ramsey we’re more balanced. But I think Emery will find a way, even if it wasn’t from a starting point.

1 hour ago, mallett said:

I was only listening to the match on 5 live but the co-commentator was Mark Warburton and he was talking about Rogers being a weakness targeted by Luton for a long time before he was taken off in the second half.

It was interesting to hear a professional coach / manager’s opinion. That’s not to say that he didn’t do well on the ball but the fcommentary really highlighted how often he was out of position off the ball or beaten too easily etc. And then Unai hooked him so it seemed he was thinking the same thing.

His teammates were yelling at him and pointing him in different directions all through his time in the second half so it seems like he’s not up to speed on where he should be and what to do when out of possession. 

Presumably Emery thought it was a comfortable match to give him minutes in, which the first half was, but he’ll need more time on the training pitch before he can slot in in a match where we’re under pressure. 

• Like 1

Going forward good, but defensively suspect. He particularly struggled once they changed their shape. Its a worry that both him and Moreno look better going forward than they do defending the goal. 

I do remember criticising Ramsey for the same thing a few years ago and he's vastly improved that aspect of his game. I'm sure Emery will be all over it but for now I'd much prefer to see him in play as a striker or in the Tielemans role to negate any defensive frailties.

I'm not sure he has ever really been used as a left midfielder in the Ramsey role before so the defensive positioning just wasn't there.  He looked the part going forward to me though, I'm really encouraged.  Unai should be able to coach the other parts of the game into him.

Reminds me a bit of Dele Alli when he first came through, in the way he moves and his stature. he is a lot taller than you think, and has a great touch for a big man. 

4 hours ago, mallett said:

He was really struggling with the speed and intensity Luton started to play at. It would have been something he has never experienced before. To be fair the whole team struggled so a youngster from the championship was going to find it hard to cope.  Being on a yellow didn’t help him either.

Was the right move to get him off.  There’s definitely a talented player there though. 

I really like what I saw, thought he was good on the ball, had good awareness and fitted in seamlessly, for the most part. Yes he tired, yes he struggled when momentum swung to Luton - but that has happened to far more experienced players this season, and will continue to do so.  No issues with taking him off, he probably planned for 5mins, hoped for 30 but got a good 65 mins run out - all positives.

i saw enough to see he will be a good player for us, as I said in other thread would like to see him in the second striker/10 role youri played in - think will give us more there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

I really like what I saw, thought he was good on the ball, had good awareness and fitted in seamlessly, for the most part. Yes he tired, yes he struggled when momentum swung to Luton - but that has happened to far more experienced players this season, and will continue to do so.  No issues with taking him off, he probably planned for 5mins, hoped for 30 but got a good 65 mins run out - all positives.

i saw enough to see he will be a good player for us, as I said in other thread would like to see him in the second striker/10 role youri played in - think will give us more there.

I agree. He would give us greater mobility and physicality in the Youri role. It is easier to play from a defensive perspective too. After a pre season with Unai, I think this guy will really blossom next year.

Rogers also gave away three fouls which was probably against the game plan.

I think he will come good. The improvement we have seen in the defensive side of Bailey’s game shows that this management team can coach that in a player. And I think that naturally Rogers is much better defensively than Bailey, for a start he’s a real unit.

This season in particular our defence has relied heavily on a brilliant off side trap and that can’t be easy for a player such as Rogers to pick up quickly. For Middlesbrough he was playing in a 10 position this season which is very different defensively compared to where he played yesterday. 
It should be a good learning experience for him even if it’s not been enjoyable being subbed. Unai gave him much longer on the pitch than he could have been expecting and when he substituted him it was part of a quadruple substitution that meant Rogers wasn’t the focus. Once again great management.

• Like 1

It took our senior players a while to really get what Emery wanted them to do. No shame in this kid not being up to speed after a month with minimal match experience, and there were enough promising signs to be encouraged

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Focus on what he did with the ball rather than what he did without. I thought he was actually very good for the most part when asked to attack and given the ball in reasonably tight areas. 

Christ, I’d be much more worried if he was dreadful with the ball but always in the right place. 

Position, tactics etc. will come with coaching. Emery’s system demands a lot. It isn’t just, ‘go out there and play left mid’, it’s, ‘When he has the ball, you go there. When we have the ball, you need to be over here. If he moves infield, you need be there’.

I’m much more concerned with the footballing aspect of his game given he’s so young and like I say, I thought he was very good for the most part.  

A sensible perspective on a forward player... who are you and what have you done with Delphinho123?

:trollface:

• Haha 1

He's used to playing in a different role, it will take time for him to know what to do when he's coming on for Ramsey rather than Oliver Watkins.

Obviously defensively he has to learn which is fine and understandable, but he will. Look at his coaches.

My main take away is I can see why we signed him as an attacker. He's huge, physical, strong quick and has good movement.

Exciting!

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mallett said:

I think that assessment is harsh.  Luton were targetting their right (our left) but that was as much down to Moreno as it was Rogers.  It didn't help that he got a yellow and was worried that one mis-timed tackle would result in a red.  I mean he's definitely better going forwards than defensively (but I think we all knew that already from where he played for Boro).  But I think we should have brought on Digne earlier to help shore up the defence.  It would have been interesting to see how he did with a better defensive LB behind him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Obviously defensively he has to learn which is fine and understandable, but he will. Look at his coaches.

My main take away is I can see why we signed him as an attacker. He's huge, physical, strong quick and has good movement.

Exciting!

Yep - he looked to be good at playing against a press (good ball control, quick feet, good vision and awareness of where other players are).  He was good at laying the ball off and immediately looking for space to run into for the return or to drag his marker out of the way to give others more space.  He made a couple of excellent long passes too (one of which was up there with Dougie's best but unfortunately Ollie mistimed his run).  His run and shot in the first half brought out a great stop - another 4 or 5 inches further to the right and it would have been unstoppable - but it was really encouraging.

A lot more positives than negatives for sure.  Plus his height causes panic too - so gives us an extra option if needed.

Â