Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Both. It's such a strange deal! Can't think of one anything like this ever.

Edit: Three (!) facts:

• Boro signed him six months ago for under £5m
  • He has not been in outstanding form for them since
  • We have literally just sold them a player

Can't get my head round Azaz not being worked into any deal.

Will the whole thing work out? Possible.

Do we have Unai Emery and that makes success much more likely? Yes.

Hopefully it comes off because it definitely looks like we want him.

Hey? He was either a free transfer or £1m signing as as far as I could see/find

City paid WBA £4m for him before he ended up at Boro

Has been one of the most creative players in the Championship

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Seems to be joining a long list of players who have played for both clubs in the last 25-30 odd years- Ugo, Southgate, Boateng, Alan Wright, Joe Bennett, Traore, Albert, Rudy, and probably more that I have forgotten about.

Luke Young, Neil Taylor, Stewart Downing, Paul Merson, Yannick Bolasie, Cameron Archer, Aaron Ramsey, Finn Azaz, Brad Guzan, Ritchie De Laet, Shay Given, Isaiah Osbourne, Benito Carbone, Andy Townsend, Neil Cox.

Edited by AndyClarke
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

Luke Young, Neil Taylor, Stewart Downing, Paul Merson, Yannick Bolasie, Cameron Archer, Aaron Ramsey, Finn Azaz.

I appear to have erased Bolasie from my memory 😳

On 25/01/2024 at 15:58, Tomaszk said:

Can't get my head round Azaz not being worked into any deal.

Player swap deals are extremely rare and there's a reason for that, they are very complicated. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Player swap deals are extremely rare and there's a reason for that, they are very complicated. 

They are.

The complication mostly comes from getting two willing players and two willing clubs at the right time. I think we had all that. As evidenced by one deal going through and the other being currently worked on.

On 25/01/2024 at 23:09, The Fun Factory said:

Seems to be joining a long list of players who have played for both clubs in the last 25-30 odd years- Ugo, Southgate, Boateng, Alan Wright, Joe Bennett, Traore, Albert, Rudy, and probably more that I have forgotten about.

I forgot Joe Bennett totally 😅

21 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They are.

The complication mostly comes from getting two willing players and two willing clubs at the right time. I think we had all that. As evidenced by one deal going through and the other being currently worked on.

Is there also an FFP complication now that makes them more unfavourable?  I can't quite get my head around it but if Player A is signed for £20m on a 5 year contract and you sell Player Z for £5 million then might you have a smaller hit on FFP in Year 1 than if it was £15m + Player Z?  I would assume that both clubs would have to agree on the nominal value of Player Z as part of the deal - so in theory it should come out with the same answer.  But it really wouldn't surprise me if two separate transfers somehow ended up with a slightly different FFP calculation for both clubs then completing a Player + cash swap.

32 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They are.

Doesn't this bit slightly prove that player swap deals are complicated?  I mean we have all the ingredients that you suggest should make it easier (willing players, seemingly willing clubs and a similar timeframe) and yet 1 deal has been done and with 3 days of the transfer window the other hasn't as yet.  It would be an added risk (probably more so for us than Boro) if the Azaz deal was still in the balance because we were still trying to negotiate / resolve a couple of sticking points on the other deal.

12 minutes ago, allani said:

Is there also an FFP complication now that makes them more unfavourable?  I can't quite get my head around it but if Player A is signed for £20m on a 5 year contract and you sell Player Z for £5 million then might you have a smaller hit on FFP in Year 1 than if it was £15m + Player Z?  I would assume that both clubs would have to agree on the nominal value of Player Z as part of the deal - so in theory it should come out with the same answer.  But it really wouldn't surprise me if two separate transfers somehow ended up with a slightly different FFP calculation for both clubs then completing a Player + cash swap.

That's a good point actually.

Can't recall if Juve and Barca got actually punished but they tried to fiddle this once I think.

They swapped Arthur and Pjanic but put it through as something like a €70m sale and a €55m sale.

And with the football amortisation free money magic accounting they could say they'd both profited that year from it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

£12.5m is a lot for him, hopefully it's closer to smething like £8/9m + add ons

its the feeling, I get, too.

No way, would I doubt the words of the master.....but I don't really care, if it falls through.

I don't really see the attraction.....but thats why he is the manager.

although 6'4 is having me wobbling from that view.😆

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

£12.5m is a lot for him, hopefully it's closer to smething like £8/9m + add ons

I understand the sentiment of this kind of statement but, as with any signing, is it possible to judge what fee is good or poor value, until sometime in to the player's tenure at a club?

Supposing Rogers joins us for an initially perceived bargain of £8m and is a flop? Yet a fee of £15m would trigger comments of Boro 'pulling our pants down' - way before he could possibly prove a bargain signing.

• Like 1

Â