1. 1. What is your preference in order from most preferred to least

• Lerner shield, Current round badge, New shield
    • Lerner shield, New shield badge, Current round badge
    • Round badge, Lerner shield, New shield
    • Round badge, New shield, Lerner shield
    • New shield, Lerner shield, Current round badge
    • New shield, Current round badge, Lerner shield

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/01/24 at 18:35

I don't understand why we had to keep the animal cracker Lerner Lion?  It's literally the thing fans hate the most on the current badge...

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

It's arguably one of the best badges of the whole bunch. There are some horrors though (and it's obvs not this season).

Badgenew copy.jpg

My ranking of these badges (affinity or hatred aside, as I **** despise Spurs for instance...):

20. Burnley

19. Fulham

18. Leeds

17. West Ham

16. Villa

15. Everton 

14. United 

13. Wolves

12. Baggies

11. Brighton

10. Leicester 

9. Newcastle

8. Chelsea

7. Sheffield United

6. Liverpool 

5. Citeh

4. Spurs (rocket polishers)

3. Palace 

2. Southampton

1. Arsenal 

41 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Disagree, there are well established rules of design for a reason

And there are also well-established experts in well-established rules of design for a reason.

• Like 1

The original (rejected) gaslamp one for this season was the best one really. The main thing that bugs me about the new one is the yellow and blue colours. I actually like the design. Both colours are so lacking in vibrancy though. If it was a gloriously golden lion then maybe.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

And there are also well-established experts in well-established rules of design for a reason.

Yes and plenty of people with such expertise have criticised the new badge for being objectively bad

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

My ranking of these badges (affinity or hatred aside, as I **** despise Spurs for instance...):

20. Burnley

19. Fulham

18. Leeds

17. West Ham

16. Villa

15. Everton 

14. United 

13. Wolves

12. Baggies

11. Brighton

10. Leicester 

9. Newcastle

8. Chelsea

7. Sheffield United

6. Liverpool 

5. Citeh

3. Palace 

2. Southampton

1. Arsenal 

I think Wolves is no.1. Iconic, immediately recognisable, clean, minimalist, works in every format, unique shape but without being insane. I think it’s perfect tbh. It’s what I wanted ours to be - a lion but just quite simply and recognisably the Villa lion 

• Like 1

I wonder if they are designing this to sit on a claret background, so they put so little claret in for fear of it being washed out by the home kit. 

they aren’t seeing it on white background, in other words, maybe?

28 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I think Wolves is no.1. Iconic, immediately recognisable, clean, minimalist, works in every format, unique shape but without being insane. I think it’s perfect tbh. It’s what I wanted ours to be - a lion but just quite simply and recognisably the Villa lion 

Yeah, Wolves have the best logo in the country. 

Generally speaking, IMO I like the fewest graphical elements with the clearest meaning, so all of Wolves, West Ham, Spurs, Fulham, Palace, Brighton and Arsenal have good ones for me. Sheff Utd not bad but the Yorkshire rose is too small and looks like clutter. Similarly, ours is not too bad in terms of number of graphical elements but laid out like this the 'Aston Villa' is too small and hard to read, while '1874' just looks like a smudge. Also the edging looks quite shit, though it's hard to tell if that's just because it blends into that background. 

Basically I'm glad we're going back to a shield which removes the Chelsea problem, but we'd have been much better off keeping the Lerner shield and maybe changing 'AVFC' to 'Aston Villa'. 

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

20. Burnley

19. Fulham

18. Leeds

17. West Ham

16. Villa

15. Everton 

14. United 

13. Wolves

12. Baggies

11. Brighton

10. Leicester 

9. Newcastle

8. Chelsea

7. Sheffield United

6. Liverpool 

5. Citeh

3. Palace 

2. Southampton

1. Arsenal 

Interesting to me you have ours as 16 and Arsenal as 1 when basically they are the same key things (crest, big symbol, name). Guessing the differences are the colours, the quality of the lion, the positioning of the letters etc but funny how the main design is so similar but they are opposite ends of your scale. No judgment in this comment, we all like what we like!

3 hours ago, rbcuk said:

It just looks so shit with Aston Villa at the bottom of it, can’t think of any team that has the name on the bottom of the badge

…there’s a graphic directly above this post with Everton, Newcastle, Spurs, Palace and Southampton all with names at the bottom of badges! I do agree with you though on where ours should be.

39 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

…there’s a graphic directly above this post with Everton, Newcastle, Spurs, Palace and Southampton all with names at the bottom of badges! I do agree with you though on where ours should be.

Yeah all in a banner underneath and not squashed into the main part, as with them clubs it just looks right underneath as there badges ain’t in a shield, so aesthetically looks right, we should just keep the round badge and have the lion facing the other way around 

The round badge is the best of an uninspiring lot. The new lion is a clear improvement. I don't really agree with it facing right, it still look off 6 months later. I feel like it's a bit safe, bit of a missed opportunity to do something incredible. However it looks good on the kit, it looks good with the other badges and i'd be happy enough to continue with it given the alternatives.

Both the Lerner and leaked badges commit the cardinal sin of a lack of contrast, with the yellow lion on a sky blue field. The leaked badge drops below the Lerner badge because of the drop shadow which is laughable. They've identified that they've made a design mistake with the yellow on blue, and attempted to solve it by making another design mistake, a drop shadow. Looks like something a 12 year old who had just gotten a copy of photoshop would knock up. Sky blue and yellow should never touch on our badge.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

That all died down after about half an hour.

Has it?  I still hate the round badge.  It is a bad Chelsea rip off.  There are elements of it that are OK (for example I think the claret lion stands out much better than the yellow one) but in general it is utterly bland and undistinguishable.  I'm not necessarily against a round badge per se (although I think that the shape of the badge can help to differentiate it and so I'd prefer something that is different) but the current one is just bad (in my opinion) because it is so easy for it to become difficult to identify.  That's not to say that I necessarily think the other two options are perfect - probably the answer lies in a combination of the three somehow.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Rolta said:

The original (rejected) gaslamp one for this season was the best one really. The main thing that bugs me about the new one is the yellow and blue colours. I actually like the design. Both colours are so lacking in vibrancy though. If it was a gloriously golden lion then maybe.

It is a shame that they didn't put the same effort into the gaslamp version as they did the round badge - because it always looked like it was designed to be nothing more than an alternative.  I think that had they refined that design then it would probably have been very close to being superb.  I suspect that with a fan vote the round badge would probably still have won - but that's just proof (imo) that democracy often doesn't make the right decision.

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, allani said:

Has it?  I still hate the round badge.  It is a bad Chelsea rip off.  There are elements of it that are OK (for example I think the claret lion stands out much better than the yellow one) but in general it is utterly bland and undistinguishable.  I'm not necessarily against a round badge per se (although I think that the shape of the badge can help to differentiate it and so I'd prefer something that is different) but the current one is just bad (in my opinion) because it is so easy for it to become difficult to identify.  That's not to say that I necessarily think the other two options are perfect - probably the answer lies in a combination of the three somehow.

We've already discussed this, it's not a Chelsea rip off. Villa had the round badge on our kits well before Chelsea. 

• Like 3