1. 1. What is your preference in order from most preferred to least

• Lerner shield, Current round badge, New shield
    • Lerner shield, New shield badge, Current round badge
    • Round badge, Lerner shield, New shield
    • Round badge, New shield, Lerner shield
    • New shield, Lerner shield, Current round badge
    • New shield, Current round badge, Lerner shield

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/01/24 at 18:35

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Any Shield that has 1874 and Aston Villa on it.

No. F'n. Round. Badge. It's run of the mill and 99% of clubs have round badges. 

We're Aston Villa. We're not run of the mill. Round badge is for nostalgia. We had it this season. Be happy and move on. 

83.5% disagree with you at the moment on the poll

12 hours ago, Spoony said:

I think Wolves is no.1. Iconic, immediately recognisable, clean, minimalist, works in every format, unique shape but without being insane. I think it’s perfect tbh. It’s what I wanted ours to be - a lion but just quite simply and recognisably the Villa lion 

Agree that Wolves is the best crest in the league, but just can't get behind the idea of a standalone lion for us. A wolf's head is instantly recognisable as Wolves, a fox's head would work for Leicester even, but a standalone lion wouldn't scream Aston Villa to anyone IMO, because as has been discussed at great length in this thread and others, we aren't even the only club in our own league who use a lion in our branding

I genuinely think the design on the new badge in principle is fine. The main problems for me are the shitty lion and the pairing of two desaturated colours. I tried to make the lion more golden, but it just disappears even more, so I upped the saturation of the blue (more like our sleeves?) and replaced the lion with the new one, and it looks so much better. I think this is good. Villa should pay me (oh I **** up the colour in the 'A's). The old lion is sooo shit compared to the new one.

Villa Badge 2.jpg

Edited by Rolta
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

We're Aston Villa. We're not run of the mill. Round badge is for nostalgia. We had it this season. Be happy and move on. 

31 of 67 teams from the PL, Champ and League 1 have shields in some form. (46%)

21 have roundels (sometimes with embellishments) (31%)

The remainder I would call 'other' (i.e just a logo like Spurs, or hexagon like Wolves) (23%)

Shields are the most popular crest by a distance. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

31 of 67 teams from the PL, Champ and League 1 have shields in some form. (46%)

21 have roundels (sometimes with embellishments) (31%)

The remainder I would call 'other' (i.e just a logo like Spurs, or hexagon like Wolves) (23%)

Shields are the most popular crest by a distance. 

The crucial distinction here is that circles are all the same shape and the shields are mostly all unique. We're talking about having an original shape. We'd all have a shot at guessing the shields based only on their silhouettes. The circles are boring.

8 minutes ago, Rolta said:

The crucial distinction here is that circles are all the same shape and the shields are mostly all unique. We're talking about having an original shape. We'd all have a shot at guessing the shields based only on their silhouettes. The circles are boring.

Fair point but would you confuse Sheffield United's badge with Chelsea's? 

No one in the league would have a round badge with our colours.

Burnley have a similar baby puke blue background to our current (and proposed) badges, and also have a shield. Wycombe (whilst a roundel) have the same colour blue, but our round badge had a huge dose of claret.  

Also seven other teams use a lion as their emblem, in the case of Middlesborough the lion is rampant like ours. The chelsea lion is regardant, which looks different.  

Finally, I would also say that if you are talking about unique badge shapes, only Man U, Watford and Wolves have a crest with a unique shape, and you could argue Man U's is a distorted roundel. The remainder of the 'others' simply don't use a crest at all, and just have a logo on it's own (again like spurs). 

FWIW I wouldn't mind a unique crest shape, but I've yet to see one I liked. The diamond and gas lamp shaped ones did nothing for me at all. I don't mind having the gas lamp in the badge somewhere, but mostly weird shapes look weird. 

I could get on board with no crest at all, perhaps. No one has done that with a lion. 

43 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I genuinely think the design on the new badge in principle is fine. The main problems for me are the shitty lion and the pairing of two desaturated colours. I tried to make the lion more golden, but it just disappears even more, so I upped the saturation of the blue (more like our sleeves?) and replaced the lion with the new one, and it looks so much better. I think this is good. Villa should pay me (oh I **** up the colour in the 'A's). The old lion is sooo shit compared to the new one.

Villa Badge 2.jpg

Lion shouldn't be gold or yellow, looks awful to me and as you say it disappears, when you see it small with other clubs badges as above it gets completely lost and the text is unreadable. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Villa Badge 2.jpg

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Actually only 5 other clubs in the premier league has round badges 

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

Y'all missed your chance on this. It lost the vote by quite some distance. IMO should have won.

It looks a bit West Midlands Village/MLS and would date horribly. Incidentally this one was also trademarked but has been withdrawn.

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

Villa Badges.jpg

I think we are falling in to the trap of too much traditionalism.

I like the Wolves Badge or the Spurs one....unfussy, no need for the explanations of who it is, unless the icon is so vague.

Spurs don't need their name either.....we know who it is, and if we don't we research it...and it sticks.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, punkymonkey666 said:

It looks a bit West Midlands Village/MLS and would date horribly. Incidentally this one was also trademarked but has been withdrawn.

Obviously. Because it was voted against. That's not a judgement against its quality. 

Villa fans don't know what they want.

It doesn't look like an MLS badge though. The West Midlands Village badge had unicorns on it, wasn't claret blue and had no yellow on it, so I've no idea what you're talking about; nor do you.

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

Villa Badges.jpg

Based on this, if I had no prior knowledge, I would assume the only team that have claret as a primary colour is West Ham.

I would assume we play in blue and/or yellow. 

If marketing forms a large part of the thinking for this design, brand consistency and all that, I think it would be wise to make it clear to the otherwise unaware that we play in claret and blue.

West Ham’s badge isn’t great, but it has plenty of claret and still stands out on that darker background.

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we are falling in to the trap of too much traditionalism.

I like the Wolves Badge or the Spurs one....unfussy, no need for the explanations of who it is, unless the icon is so vague.

Spurs don't need their name either.....we know who it is, and if we don't we research it...and it sticks.

Spurs have their name on their badge.

• Like 1

Can we not have a new round badge as all of the current ones are a bit garbage.

I'd quite like Aston Villa in white on a claret background as it would really make the name stand out, similar to Arsenals and Chelsea's on the above badges image.

I can only assume that the handful of people at the forum who saw the badge signed some kind of NDA...otherwise this would have been quashed straight away... If it is not the badge of course. 

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

Lion shouldn't be gold or yellow, looks awful to me and as you say it disappears, when you see it small with other clubs badges as above it gets completely lost and the text is unreadable. 

Gold lion works great on a claret circle/shield....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1