1. 1. What is your preference in order from most preferred to least

• Lerner shield, Current round badge, New shield
    • Lerner shield, New shield badge, Current round badge
    • Round badge, Lerner shield, New shield
    • Round badge, New shield, Lerner shield
    • New shield, Lerner shield, Current round badge
    • New shield, Current round badge, Lerner shield

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/01/24 at 18:35

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Too much yellow in the first one.  We have to be predominantly claret and blue imo.  The second one isn’t as good as that tweeter did yesterday, the designer dude that somebody posted.

I do wonder… if they’d have not turned the lion the other way on the round badge we have this season… maybe it wouldn’t have been cancelled… maybe we would’ve stuck with it…

It’s the main issue, probably the only one, for me…

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

Was thinking that with a darker shade of blue and a gold lion with detailing (as per the old Trinity) it could work. 

But then I look at the crap font layout at the bottom and how out of proportion it all is and I just think no. 

Get it in the bin. 

You can’t polish a turd…

FWIW I don't actually care about the badge shape, shield, round, whatever. It's more important that the colours are correct and it doesn't look like it's been designed by a 5 year old. Unfortunately the proposed design doesn't meet that criteria. 

Am I in the minority here that doesn't think the badge design really matters that much?

I think all 3 designs are fine honestly. The new one is alright.

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Y'all missed your chance on this. It lost the vote by quite some distance. IMO should have won.

It’s 100 times better than the Heck one but still a bit cack!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I can break down what makes the leaked one so fundamentally flawed:

• Colours - reverting back to the pale yellow lion on a light blue background makes it look ill-defined/washed out, which was the worst component of the Lerner-era badge.  A retrograde step.
  • The Lion - reverting to the less detailed/defined Lerner version, further adding to the washing out effect and another retrograde step.
  • Drop-Shadow - flawed from a design perspective and only serves to further muddy/blur the Lion into the background.
  • Text positioning - the club name should be the top-most element, above the lion, not below it.  If we are including the year also, this element needs to positioned away from the name so it doesn't become visually redundant.
  • Crest shape - if we are to move away from the circular badge, then we have a clear and current remit from the fan survey that the gas-lamp shape is the next preference - discarding this wholesale a) shows yet more contempt for the fan engagement exercise and b) though I may have personally preferred the current round version, the gas-lamp shape did offer an opportunity for a more unique look to the badge and should therefore be the obvious next choice were the round version to be discarded; the leaked crest shape is generic and does nothing to stand out from other badges.

The more I ruminate on it, honestly I just simply refuse to believe that anyone with any experience in graphic design whatsoever could be so stupid as to legitimately be considering the leaked badge as a viable option.

I dabble and there's no design rule saying the text needs to be at the top, nor that similar elements can't be grouped. In fact, I'm sure there are principles that say otherwise (about the grouping anyway). Of course there are different ways of approaching the design.

The colours are pants though. And better lions are better. And the drop shadow is dodgy.

I totally get that from a functional perspective, but our name really should be at the top as it's possibly the most stand-out thing about us.

1 minute ago, GarethRDR said:

I totally get that from a functional perspective, but our name really should be at the top as it's possibly the most stand-out thing about us.

Yeah, it's a question of vertical balance. The lion looks like it is standing on one foot precariously balancing on the 1874. Achieving a harmonious balance in a design is tricky. If you look at other premier league badges (including the current AVFC shield), most achieve this reasonably well. Spurs and Palace have birds perching on a ball with text under, but it looks natural

The small size of the 1874 and its position between the text and lion also creates awkward space in the lower centre of the badge. This is made much worse when coloured and scaled down (i.e. on most mobile apps) since you loose the white 1874 within an expanse of sky blue. This is a similar problem to the yellow lion on sky blue that has been an issue for years with the flat version of the badge. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

We've already discussed this, it's not a Chelsea rip off. Villa had the round badge on our kits well before Chelsea. 

Chelsea had 2 round badges before we had one

Any Shield that has 1874 and Aston Villa on it.

No. F'n. Round. Badge. It's run of the mill and 99% of clubs have round badges. 

We're Aston Villa. We're not run of the mill. Round badge is for nostalgia. We had it this season. Be happy and move on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Chelsea had 2 round badges before we had one

On their Kit?

Anyway Chelsea ripped us off with the lion. The also ripped us off by starting a football club. Fake ass copy cats. 

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

More I see the Heck badge the more I like it. Would be a lot better without the shield though

"Like" being relative, though, right?  As in, I like the nice solid, skid-free poop I did yesterday, as opposed to the cascading, scotch-bonnet induced waterfall of diarrhea I ejected from myself this morning.  It still makes yesterday's poop a poop though.

I do like that notion of an "uncaged" Lion though, no container, just the club name above and year below.  Possibly the only circumstance under which I'd live with an interchangeable monotone badge.

Edited by GarethRDR