1. 1. What is your preference in order from most preferred to least

• Lerner shield, Current round badge, New shield
    • Lerner shield, New shield badge, Current round badge
    • Round badge, Lerner shield, New shield
    • Round badge, New shield, Lerner shield
    • New shield, Lerner shield, Current round badge
    • New shield, Current round badge, Lerner shield

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/01/24 at 18:35

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

We've already discussed this, it's not a Chelsea rip off. Villa had the round badge on our kits well before Chelsea. 

Sorry but the new badge looks far more like the current Chelsea badge than it does any of the previous Villa round badges.  It looks like it has been designed by someone who thinks that the Chelsea badge is great and that they have used that as the inspiration / template.  In that context whether who had a round badge first is utterly irrelevant.  As I said above I'm not completely against a round badge (although I think it makes it harder to really stand out) but I really dislike the version they've come up with.  That's not to say that I am a great fan of the other options being discussed either.

• Like 2

People who need beating around the head with a stick, in order:

1. anyone who thinks that the leaked monstrosity is in any way, shape or form acceptable.
  2. anyone bemoaning the current badge for being a "Chelsea knock-off".
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

If anything Chelsea ripped off our original round badge ('if anything', so I am not saying they did, for all the pedants out there).

They didn't introduce the round badge on their kit until 1986, we'd had the round badge since 1973. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

They didn't introduce the round badge on their kit until 1986, we'd had the round badge since 1973. 

But this is completely irrelevant.  The new badge looks more like the current Chelsea badge than it does Villa's round badges.  Therefore, the Chelsea comparison is perfectly legitimate and valid.  Arguing that we had a round badge first does not change the fact that our current badge looks like a Chelsea knock-off.  It is much, much closer to the Chelsea "template" than it is the 1982 badge for example.

Just now, allani said:

Sorry but the new badge looks far more like the current Chelsea badge than it does any of the previous Villa round badges.  It looks like it has been designed by someone who thinks that the Chelsea badge is great and that they have used that as the inspiration / template.  In that context whether who had a round badge first is utterly irrelevant.  As I said above I'm not completely against a round badge (although I think it makes it harder to really stand out) but I really dislike the version they've come up with.  That's not to say that I am a great fan of the other options being discussed either.

The previous Villa round badge was claret and blue, and had Aston Villa on it so could never have looked more like the current Chelsea badge than a Villa badge lol. That's just nonsense talk and for those with a memory that doesn't go back very far. The younger generation may see it as a rip off but a little look back on history proves otherwise. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, allani said:

But this is completely irrelevant.  The new badge looks more like the current Chelsea badge than it does Villa's round badges.  Therefore, the Chelsea comparison is perfectly legitimate and valid.  Arguing that we had a round badge first does not change the fact that our current badge looks like a Chelsea knock-off.  It is much, much closer to the Chelsea "template" than it is the 1982 badge for example.

You think actual facts,  that Aston Villa for 19 whole years had a claret and blue round badge with Aston Villa on it, are irrelevant because,in your opinion, our 2022 round badge reminds you of a 2000s era blue and white badge with Chelsea written on it?

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

People who need beating around the head with a stick, in order:

1. anyone who thinks that the leaked monstrosity is in any way, shape or form acceptable.
  2. anyone bemoaning the current badge for being a "Chelsea knock-off".

I'd say the same in reverse! The overreaction to the new badge design is bonkers imo. But as I've said, I don't like those colours though. 

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

The previous Villa round badge was claret and blue, and had Aston Villa on it so could never have looked more like the current Chelsea badge than a Villa badge lol. That's just nonsense talk and for those with a memory that doesn't go back very far. The younger generation may see it as a rip off but a little look back on history proves otherwise. 

Well I suspect that I have 10 years + on you age wise for starters.  There's more to design than just colours but hey ho different people have different opinions.  I want a badge that shouts Villa at you immediately - for me the current badge doesn't do that.  I don't particularly like the leaked version either - both have missed a real opportunity (imo) to come up with something really iconic.

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

You think actual facts,  that Aston Villa for 19 whole years had a claret and blue round badge with Aston Villa on it, are irrelevant because,in your opinion, our 2022 round badge reminds you of a 2000s era blue and white badge with Chelsea written on it?

I think people need to realise that it's not as simple as saying we had a round badge back in the day and that we were first. Chelsea are a much bigger and better recognised brand than we are, and us going from our modern (not good) branding and using a badge that looks almost identical in template to a huge established brand is a silly move and one that doesn't make sense when trying to brand us for the future. It doesn't matter about the past.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Nailed it.   Thanks.

1 minute ago, allani said:

Well I suspect that I have 10 years + on you age wise for starters.  There's more to design than just colours but hey ho different people have different opinions.  I want a badge that shouts Villa at you immediately - for me the current badge doesn't do that.  I don't particularly like the leaked version either - both have missed a real opportunity (imo) to come up with something really iconic.

Well if this is the case I'm a little shocked that your crying about a ripping off a Chelsea badge considering you'd have been around during the 70's and 80's during the clubs heyday and would've seen Villa with a round badge whilst Chelsea just had the lion on it's own, no round badge. A year after they introduced the round badge we got rid of it. 

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I think people need to realise that it's not as simple as saying we had a round badge back in the day and that we were first. Chelsea are a much bigger and better recognised brand than we are, and us going from our modern (not good) branding and using a badge that looks almost identical in template to a huge established brand is a silly move and one that doesn't make sense when trying to brand us for the future. It doesn't matter about the past.

Lets change the club name, get rid of the lion for a house cat, change our colours and be as different as possible.

I'm sick to the back teeth of people talking about branding like we should change everything just to be different! "We don't want to look like Chelsea". 

Success on the pitch is how the brand and finances get better. We don't need to reinvent the wheel ffs. 

Was thinking that with a darker shade of blue and a gold lion with detailing (as per the old Trinity) it could work. 

But then I look at the crap font layout at the bottom and how out of proportion it all is and I just think no. 

Get it in the bin. 

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So far

85% Round Badge

10% Lerner Badge

5% Heck Badge

just about sums it up…

This “leaked design” has made the round badge look better and more favourable, it’s too similar and worse than the Lerner version (and retains the stupid yellow on blue scheme).

If we had a better alternative or two the votes would be very different…

how about these?

spacer.png

image.thumb.jpeg.aa49ff61594f0f773ef864d7342694f1.jpeg

11 minutes ago, allani said:

Reading your comments it sounds like you are in exactly the same place and just as frustrated as I am with the current round badge design. It's not that I hate it it's just that I want us to be unique...and not blend in with the literally about a dozen teams with the same template. Which is why I don't actually mind the "new" badge... Yeah I understand peoples comments on it but at least it's unique. (FWIW I'd rather just keep the recent Lerner version over all) 

We can't walk around with a picture of us lifting the European cup in our pockets and pull out the badge anytime someone mentions our badge looks like Chelsea's. Like it or not most football fans in their early 30s/20s know us as a mid to bottom side that fights relegation and our current form is a flash. We remember the good times but the club don't care about our opinion... It's the future fans.. It's shirts hanging in shops in other countries and a brand on social media. (That's not to say I don't think our history shouldnt be taken into account of course) Unless we can incorporate "we had it first" on the round badge somewhere or go for a different format I am for a shield style.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

This “leaked design” has made the round badge look better and more favourable, it’s too similar and worse than the Lerner version (and retains the stupid yellow on blue scheme).

If we had a better alternative or two the votes would be very different…

how about these?

spacer.png

image.thumb.jpeg.aa49ff61594f0f773ef864d7342694f1.jpeg

Too much yellow in the first one.  We have to be predominantly claret and blue imo.  The second one isn’t as good as that tweeter did yesterday, the designer dude that somebody posted.