Villa keep improving. Do Villa fans also need to?

Marka Ragnos

Kind of a weird topic I've been thinking about a lot this autumn into winter, although I don't really have a name for it: How do we keep up with Villa's improvements, as supporters?

I was saying to a mate the other day that I wasn't sure Villa supporters have really "kept up" with the team's successes. I may be speaking mostly for myself, I realise. But I've wonderecd whether there are some aspects of my usual Villa fan attitudes that I'm starting to question more. 

An example would be the knee-jerk negativity, thinking, "Oh, classic Villa." It doesn't really make sense any more. I haven't always been that way with Villa, but I'm so used to waiting for the other shoe to drop before and during matches, I think I need to re-evaluate myself a bit. 

Do you think Villa fans need to grow, too? Do we have a responsibility to mature and embrace change right along with our squad?

• Like 2

As of yet we haven't really had any success , we have had improvements on the field ,inline with what the club shoud be acheiving.  Taking away the inter toto and play offs its been 27 years since we had success , the club still receives large support at home and away support that many can't compete with.

• Like 1

The fans have been great in my opinion. Ok we are winning home games but thw fans are geftjng behind the team. It started under deano and has generally continued despite thw blip under gerrard. Even when we lost games last season under emery the fans backed the team and manager.

There is a real togetherness between fans and the players. Its superb

• Like 1

Huge belief now among the fan base and the team. I heard someone talking the other day about how the manager is the barometer of the club. Arsenalswhingeing and entitlement can be traced directly back to how Coach Arteta acts. And i think we act nowadays much in the way that Unai acts. With a bit of humilty. Respecting the referee and not going all JFK with conspiracy theories. Knowing that we have a brilliant manager and we should just enjoy it . All the while telling people who think we are in a purple patch that its a 40 game purple patch.  But not saying things like we deserved to win when we lose . 

Edited by MWARLEY2

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Maybe. The main thing for me is that we don’t become self-entitled, arrogant rocket polishers like most of the so-called ‘big six’ fans. I’d like to think Villa fans can take their lead from Unai Emery and his humble ways. 

The price of success will be the annoying online glory hunters that come with it and I dread these clowns following us. When people on line be calling our players Penkins or Penglas Luiz

• Like 1

Totally get where the OP is coming from. For me personally I’m always saying to people I’m waiting for it to go tits up . Growing up in the late 80s 90s we were a very big club but we’ve obviously been overtaken now. So much potential here and I just hope one day we get it right , but yeah we are on the right road UTV 

When going to games, I’ve noticed how much more patient and appreciative the fans are now of the way the team plays. There also feels like there’s a real belief that we are on an exciting journey and everyone is buying into this.

I really can’t remember anything like it, certainly not since the early 1980s.

• Like 1

I’d say the fans have grown a lot with the passing around at the back. When we first started playing that way the groans around the stadium were ridiculous. The fans trust the players now and I think the players rely on the fans to get behind them. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The price of success will be the annoying online glory hunters that come with it and I dread these clowns following us. When people on line be calling our players Penkins or Penglas Luiz

Oh come on...  You know damn well that us current members of VillaTalk aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer ourselves!  Hopefully some of the new guys would be better to laugh with/at than previous trolls like SecretLeedsLadMessiScout21...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Maybe. The main thing for me is that we don’t become self-entitled, arrogant rocket polishers like most of the so-called ‘big six’ fans. I’d like to think Villa fans can take their lead from Unai Emery and his humble ways. 

This. It's inbuilt Brummie diffidence. 

We aren't arrogant blowhards like Mancs. 

And I'm OK with that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I see villa as a big club but we have under achieved for about 20 years so there is probably a young generation that isn't used to seeing us this good. We need to trust the manager, relax and enjoy this. 

And the rest. We've won **** all in 27 seasons.

Â