viivvaa66

Their home form is impressive but most of their wins last season came against sides that were either relegated or finished near the bottom. This season they've already drawn with Luton & Burnley - games they'd have expected to win. 

They had 3 home wins last season that stands out: Arsenal, Brighton and Liverpool. Arsenal had just choked and the title had effectively gone and Brighton were playing the sixth of seven games in April and had played extra time and penalties (and lost) at Wembley a few days before playing Forest. So a narrow victory over Liverpool (when their form was patchy) is the only one that doesn't have an asterisk next to it for me. 

I'm not saying it's an easy game (I like the look of Mangala and Sangare and they will test our midfield) but it's not one we should fear unduly, IMO. 

• Like 1

Nottingham Forest PL home form in the last 8 games:

Man Utd - L

Brighton - W

Southampton - W

Arsenal - W

Sheffield - W

Burnley - D

Brentford - D

Luton - D

There are some tricky fixtures there that they have done really well in. 

• Like 2

Apologies for repeating what I said above, but I think there are some caveats to a number of these results:

Nottingham Forest PL home form in the last 8 games:

Man Utd - L

Brighton - W  The sixth of seven games for Brighton in April and they had played extra time and penalties (and lost) at Wembley a few days before.

Southampton - W Effectively already relegated at this point.

Arsenal - W had just choked and the title had all but gone

Sheffield - W

Burnley - D  Even game, that Forest would have expected to win

Brentford - D Could easily have lost (shots 18 to 6 in Brentford's favour)

Luton - D 

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 30/10/2023 at 08:25, OutByEaster? said:

This will be tougher than some seem to think. Forest have some decent players and at home they can be very awkward.

On 30/10/2023 at 08:49, Villa87 said:

Tough game this. Forest at home are pretty solid. Same team again, but perhaps a Bailey in for Zaniolo. If we have aspirations of top 4 we need to win the next two with some very difficult fixtures coming up. 

On 30/10/2023 at 08:51, Mark Albrighton said:

Won’t be an easy one, that being said their home form is currently one win in five this season (all competitions).

Beat Sheffield United 2-1. Since then, lost to Burnley in the league cup, then three draws against Burnley (again), Brentford and Luton.

Drew the fixture last year, pre Emery. A good chance to improve on it this time. 

Which is it VT?

Not sure if to be excited or dreading it 😬 

On 30/10/2023 at 17:51, Rodders said:

Will be favourites to win, and the way we're going we should. Definitely got an emotional buffer to this one though, wife and her family are from Nottingham, so if we're going to drop points a bit unexpectedly, rather it be against Forest than other sides. Not a popular statement and I'm sure people will tell me I'm doing football supporting 'wrong', but plan a a villa win is still the goal. 

You're doing football supporting wrong.

• Haha 1

Should win, but I've a feeling they will be up for this one. I remember us getting tanked by six which led to the demise of Graham Turner, thankfully. Funny thing is, on paper, he brought in some talent, but for some reason, as soon as they got to Villa Park they seemed to have left their talent behind. Stainrod, Foster, Elliot, Keown and Steve Hodge, we were bloody awful that season, hence, relegation. 

No need for any doom and gloom this weekend. What a job this man has done, absolutely spoiled the lot of us, and Boy, do we love it. I'm going for 3 - 1, with an Ollie double. 

Come on me Babbys!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Great opportunity to make up some ground on Arsenal and Spurs. 

Would rather Arsenal beat Newcastle.

Beat Forest and we'd be 8 points clear of Newcastle (and potentially Brighton if they don't win at Everton which is possible).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Beat Forest and we'd be 8 points clear of Newcastle (and potentially Brighton if they don't win at Everton which is possible).

True, we'll have a better chance of reeling them in, in a few weeks.

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Should win, but I've a feeling they will be up for this one. I remember us getting tanked by six which led to the demise of Graham Turner, thankfully. Funny thing is, on paper, he brought in some talent, but for some reason, as soon as they got to Villa Park they seemed to have left their talent behind. Stainrod, Foster, Elliot, Keown and Steve Hodge, we were bloody awful that season, hence, relegation. 

No need for any doom and gloom this weekend. What a job this man has done, absolutely spoiled the lot of us, and Boy, do we love it. I'm going for 3 - 1, with an Ollie double. 

Come on me Babbys!

I was there that day and Cloughie praised the Villa fans for defiantly singing through the whole game....He said he was amazed at our support in such dire circumstances.

That was one to remember, for the sheer truculence from us fans.

Lets just hope we can reverse the scoreline on Sunday

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Nah. They draw and we win and we're still 7 ahead of Newcastle, but also level on points with Arsenal (will need 3-0 to go above them in this scenario). Don't think we should be thinking anyone is a gimme to finish above us while we are still amongst them. Getting into the top 4 for the next international break would be huge for momentum.

• Like 2

Could be very like Wolves away. They have been waiting for us to come to town. Fans will be up for it.

Their main attackers are struggling for fitness though. Taiwo is only coming back from injury and played 20 mins last game. 

Gibbs white hasnt been playing well either. 

We know our best team though. I don't think Cooper does yet. 

• Like 1