viivvaa66

On 01/11/2023 at 17:03, srsmithusa said:

I was thinking 3-0 win.  But with all the alarm and worry here, I’ll change to a 2-0 win.   

If we score early, we will steamroll them. We are a irresistible Force at the moment and nobody yes nobody can deal with it.

19 hours ago, TRO said:

I was there that day and Cloughie praised the Villa fans for defiantly singing through the whole game....He said he was amazed at our support in such dire circumstances.

That was one to remember, for the sheer truculence from us fans.

Lets just hope we can reverse the scoreline on Sunday

Another great one was being  five nil down at Leicester on an early Saturday morning game mid 80’s (the year we went down) always look on the Bright side of life was consistently sang from start to finish by every villa fan in the ground

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, rubberman said:

Nah. They draw and we win and we're still 7 ahead of Newcastle, but also level on points with Arsenal (will need 3-0 to go above them in this scenario). Don't think we should be thinking anyone is a gimme to finish above us while we are still amongst them. Getting into the top 4 for the next international break would be huge for momentum.

Arsenal will finish on about 85 points I reckon, maybe less but that's a very big ask for us to compete with them still once April rolls around.

Newcastle will get nowhere near that, even last season I think they got 72 points in the end and they had two very long winning runs so we can finish above them and the more points they drop with 3-4 key players out the better.

20 hours ago, TRO said:

I was there that day and Cloughie praised the Villa fans for defiantly singing through the whole game....He said he was amazed at our support in such dire circumstances.

Imagine Clough managing us in the 80s, especially after Ron.

Mind you he'd have lasted fewer days than at Leeds working under Ellis!

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Arsenal will finish on about 85 points I reckon, maybe less but that's a very big ask for us to compete with them still once April rolls around.

Newcastle will get nowhere near that, even last season I think they got 72 points in the end and they had two very long winning runs so we can finish above them and the more points they drop with 3-4 key players out the better.

Well, we've been up there with them since Unai arrived so don't see why we should accept that they are better than us. It's a bit like Gerrard's chelsea quote. 

Anyway. What we need to do is continue the form and pressure on those around us and see where we end up. What happens in other games will happen regardless. I think we'll have enough for Forest and would be happy with 0-1 and another 3 points. 

10 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Another great one was being  five nil down at Leicester on an early Saturday morning game mid 80’s (the year we went down) always look on the Bright side of life was consistently sang from start to finish by every villa fan in the ground

I was at both those games too…gallows humour at its best..😂

Edited by Vincenzo

Forest are good at avoiding defeat at home, as much as they're not a great side going away to them just has one of those awkward feels to it. Would be delighted with a win however it comes, feels especially important to pick up as many points as possible over the next couple of games before the fixtures start to get a bit trickier.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

image.png.bc061fa23cffd1cd026137dc5180a1d8.png

🤔 I've seen it written in a number of articles - maybe it refers specifically to group games? Either that or a mistruth is getting spread around the internet (which never happens!).

Aston Villa cruised to victory in the Netherlands, beating AZ Alkmaar 4-1 at AFAS Stadion, ending the Cheeseheads’ 29-game unbeaten home run in Europe.

https://www.flashscore.com/news/soccer-europa-conference-league-aston-villa-score-four-again-as-they-ease-past-az-alkmaar-in-europe/QmSfic5b/

Regardless, it was billed as a tough game and we excelled, so hopefully can do the same against Forest on Sunday.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Apparently, cloughie was close to joining us, at one point.

21 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Now we are looking on the "Bright side of Life"

On 02/11/2023 at 00:54, TRO said:

"Cloughie, Cloughie, give us a wave," and he did. I distinctly remember Graham Turner shrinking more and more in the dugout as each Forest goal went in. He knew it was curtains after that performance. That one is definitely in the top 5 of bad performances that I've had the misfortune to witness. David Norton, remember him?

• Like 2

On 02/11/2023 at 15:06, VillaChris said:

Nah, Cloughie would’ve driven Doug off a cliff and installed Steve Stride as Chairman… 

I think after 30 odd years of supporting for the most part an awful aston villa, I feel like I'm hardwired to go into every game thinking we are going to lose.

It's been hard getting used to the fact we're actually really good now. 

Given that, I'm not overly optimistic of our chances of 3 points 😂

But this is a game we should absolutely be winning.

An early goal is important to quieten the crowd as they will be well up for it, and I suspect Forrest will be set up to sit back, defend and counter. 

If we score early, I think it could be a comfortable win. The longer it stays level the harder it'll be. 

I can see a game similar to Wolves, but hopefully with a narrow Villa win.

• Like 2