Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

On 29/01/2022 at 20:59, Xela said:

The Vauxhall Corsa was the best selling car in the UK in 2021. 

The first time it hasn't been a Ford since 1971. In 1971 it was the Austin/Morris 1100/1300

Yes, I saw that the other day and frankly didn't believe it.  Ford are messing up in so many ways. 

12 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My father survived Pearl Harbour. Admittedly he was an infant in Newport Shropshire, but survive he did. 

How does a landlocked part of the Midlands get a town called Newport?

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, I saw that the other day and frankly didn't believe it.  Ford are messing up in so many ways. 

The Corsa is quite nice. Although, its essentially a rebadges Peugeot now, since PSA purchased Opel/Vauxhall.

I think there may have been a shortage of Fiestas last year (the usual top seller). 

Boring fact - never owned a Ford. 

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

How does a landlocked part of the Midlands get a town called Newport?

Good question. It was known for fishing back in days of yore. It's emblem is fishes. So it may be named due to that. The fishing was confined to the local number of rivers though. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

The Corsa is quite nice. Although, its essentially a rebadges Peugeot now, since PSA purchased Opel/Vauxhall.

I think there may have been a shortage of Fiestas last year (the usual top seller). 

Boring fact - never owned a Ford. 

I've owned loads of Ford's.......... And so has my wife 

I was just thinking it's hard to judge much by last year as so few cars were sold full stop and it probably just depended on who could get hold of the most chips as much as anything. 

But as I said in the cars thread, I can buy (on pcp) a VW Polo for less than a Fiesta. Its better looking to my eyes and feels more premium. Why would I buy a Fiesta? It's supposed to be cheaper than a VW and by quite a lot. 

Mrs Sidcow leases and got an A6 for far less than a Mondeo.  Indeed almost all luxury cars were cheaper than a Mondeo. 

I think Ford are basically too expensive, most new car buyers will push the boat out by an extra £1k for get an Audi or VW ahead of a Ford.  They need go somehow get cheaper or find a USP. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've owned loads of Ford's.......... And so has my wife 

I was just thinking it's hard to judge much by last year as so few cars were sold full stop and it probably just depended on who could get hold of the most chips as much as anything. 

But as I said in the cars thread, I can buy (on pcp) a VW Polo for less than a Fiesta. Its better looking to my eyes and feels more premium. Why would I buy a Fiesta? It's supposed to be cheaper than a VW and by quite a lot. 

Mrs Sidcow leases and got an A6 for far less than a Mondeo.  Indeed almost all luxury cars were cheaper than a Mondeo. 

I think Ford are basically too expensive, most new car buyers will push the boat out by an extra £1m for get an Audi or VW ahead of a Ford.  They need go somehow get cheaper or find a USP. 

The rumour was that Ford saved their chips for their commercial vehicles - Transits, Customs, Connects, Rangers, etc. The fleet contracts with businesses for vans is more valuable than Mrs Miggins having a new Fiesta every 3 years. 

In terms of PCP, you are right. The higher residuals for VW, along with Audi, BMW and Mercedes now make the 'premium' brands cheaper per month than the more traditional mid-range brands. 

Funny because over here Ford are considered pretty cheap plasticy cars. You've got Chevrolet at the bottom of the pile and then Ford and GMC sort of tied above that. They don't hold any sort of value.

Hyundai and Kia are really making inroads especially with the Telluride & Palisade which share the same chassis. Those are 3 row SUV's but you can just about get away with them around town and in US parking lots etc. (which you couldn't do in the UK.)

Toyota & Honda are very desirable because of their reliability and then you get up into the Lexus/Audi/Merc range for flash rocket polishers who like to let everyone know how loaded they are.

13 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Funny because over here Ford are considered pretty cheap plasticy cars. You've got Chevrolet at the bottom of the pile and then Ford and GMC sort of tied above that. They don't hold any sort of value.

Hyundai and Kia are really making inroads especially with the Telluride & Palisade which share the same chassis. Those are 3 row SUV's but you can just about get away with them around town and in US parking lots etc. (which you couldn't do in the UK.)

Toyota & Honda are very desirable because of their reliability and then you get up into the Lexus/Audi/Merc range for flash rocket polishers who like to let everyone know how loaded they are.

File under 'Things I find interesting'. Dunno if it's still true today but the fact that, in the USA, the Toyota brand is so unsporty that the notion of a Toyota sports car to Americans is borderline hilarious. To the extent that the GT86 in the USA was sold as a Scion. Whereas around the rest of the world Toyota are well known to have a racing pedigree and a long list of sports cars in their portfolio.

I am reading an excellent book by Randall Munroe. He answers theoretical questions using scientific methods.

In 1972 all the world's computers had the same potential data processing power as all the humans alive using pen and paper. 

In 1994 a single average desktop computer had the same data processing power as all of the humans alive using pen and paper.

9 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am reading an excellent book by Randall Munroe. He answers theoretical questions using scientific methods.

In 1972 all the world's computers had the same potential data processing power as all the humans alive using pen and paper. 

In 1994 a single average desktop computer had the same data processing power as all of the humans alive using pen and paper.

As an extra bit of info to add to the above.The first home computer,the ZX81 by Clive Sinclair had a massave 1mb of memory.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

File under 'Things I find interesting'. Dunno if it's still true today but the fact that, in the USA, the Toyota brand is so unsporty that the notion of a Toyota sports car to Americans is borderline hilarious. To the extent that the GT86 in the USA was sold as a Scion. Whereas around the rest of the world Toyota are well known to have a racing pedigree and a long list of sports cars in their portfolio.

Done this one before, but hey ho... 

During the 70s/80s in the UK, Japanese cars had the reputation of being cheap tinny crap. When we visited relatives in the USA, I discovered that the reputation of Japanese cars there was of the highest quality. Maybe that said something about American built cars, I dunno. 

12 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

As an extra bit of info to add to the above.The first home computer,the ZX81 by Clive Sinclair had a massave 1mb of memory.

I had one. I thought it was 1k?  I remember upgrading to a ZX Spectrum.  I think that was 16k?   I further upgraded to a Spectrum 128k.  Wow.....that was stuff from science fiction movies.  

18 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

1 kilobyte, and the ZX80 predates it, and its quite a stretch to call either of them first. Apple2, Commodore PET and TRS80 where introduced in 1977 just to name three

Edited by Tegis
Missed one
  • Like 1

Yes,I could be wrong there.A friend of mine actually had a ZX81.I had a 48k Speccy and later upgraded to a Commodore C64.I remember I would put the "Pit Stop"tape in and make a cup of tea and when I got back I only had to wait about 30seconds for the tape to finish loading.

• Like 1

I believe the attitude to Japanese cars in the US originally was similar to here - they were cheaply made small knock off vehicles that couldn't hold a candle to home car brands. And the very first generation of Japanese cars imported were rough. But improvements coupled to the oil crisis and American brands inability to react successfully to the changing market turned the tide and Japanese models were perceived as well made reliable and efficient, if bland, vehicles.

Saying that the story goes that for many years of you drove a Toyota in Detroit you were talking your life in your hands.

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Done this one before, but hey ho... 

During the 70s/80s in the UK, Japanese cars had the reputation of being cheap tinny crap. When we visited relatives in the USA, I discovered that the reputation of Japanese cars there was of the highest quality. Maybe that said something about American built cars, I dunno. 

It was true in the UK too by all accounts. It was just a loyalty thing.

31 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I remember I would put the "Pit Stop"tape in.....

I think I had Pit Stop.   If I remember correctly you raced F1 circuits against the clock.  There were on other cars.  There was also glass strewn across the course in several places that would cause a puncture. I seem to recall that a pitstop was performed by driving very slowly along the home straight as your tyres "healed".  

Ultra-realistic.  

Is that the same game @PussEKatt?

Â