Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

3 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Pedantic I know, but Pegasus is the name of a particular winged horse rather than a species so their dad would have to be Pegasus rather than "a Pegasus".

Well as we are being pedantic, Pegasus names many things, so v01 could be referring to one of them, and that might be the fictional winged horse.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Well as we are being pedantic, Pegasus names many things, so v01 could be referring to one of them, and that might be the fictional winged horse.

I'm not sure Pegasus names many things that would be relevant in the context used! To be fair I'm not usually pedantic but its not often you get chance to use anything learnt from a classics degree!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually this may not qualify as "totally useless" if you're ever over there, but here it is anyway.

We all know everything that draws breath in Australia is able to kill you, nay hellbent on killing you.

But which animal, statistically, is the most dangerous animal in Australia?

Great White? Snakes? Hornets? Spiders?  Jellyfish?

Nope.  The most dangerous animal in Australia is

the horse.

The deadliest animal in Australia has been identified - and it's not what you think

The University of Melbourne set out to answer a very specific question.

What is the most dangerous animal in Australia? Or, more specifically, which animal has caused the most human deaths?

To answer their query, researchers from the University looked at hospital admissions and coroner records that related specifically to animal incidents. 

They discovered that bees and hornets were responsible for 27 deaths and a whopping 12,351 hospital visits. Snake-related incidents caused 27 deaths, and 6,123 hospital visits.

But there was one animal species, however, that killed far more people than all the animals surveyed, put together:

Snakes?

Spiders?

Jellyfish? 

No. The animal responsible for the most deaths - 74 to be exact - between 2000 and 2013, was the humble horse. 

Tieing in second place came snakes, bees wasps and hornets with their 27 deaths, and deaths by ticks and ants took third place - as this chart from Statista shows.

20170119-horses.png

Is nothing safe in Australia? 

37 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Exactly. There would have been fewer fatalities throughout history if men had ridden jellyfish into battle instead of horses.

@darrenm look, I think I used 'fewer' correctly!? ^_^

Excellent. I highly commend you on your grammar. I tend to find I almost never have to use the word 'less'.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BOF said:

Actually this may not qualify as "totally useless" if you're ever over there, but here it is anyway.

We all know everything that draws breath in Australia is able to kill you, nay hellbent on killing you.

But which animal, statistically, is the most dangerous animal in Australia?

Great White? Snakes? Hornets? Spiders?  Jellyfish?

Nope.  The most dangerous animal in Australia is

the horse.

Interesting addendum to the above.

Spiders in Australia have now become more of a threat to people indirectly - people spot one in their car whilst driving and end up having accidents.

Today I learned ... that the steel bar at the back of an articulated trailer that runs widthways below the level of the doors is called (in America anyway) a Mansfield bar.  After boobilicious actress Jayne Mansfield was killed when the car she was travelling in went under the trailer of a truck that had been travelling slowly in poor visibility.  There were false rumours at the time that she had been decapitated in the accident.  The bar (which wasn't there for the accident) became mandatory by law afterwards.

Mansfield-Bar-underride-guard.jpg

• Like 2

Â