Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Dutch love hagelslag, or hundreds and thousands. There is an entire industry making different types of them, and everyone seems to enjoy a slice of bread and butter topped with aniseed, chocolate or fruit flavoured sprinkles. They even have a tradition of giving people hundreds and thousands covered bread when visiting a new born, the colour depending on the gender. They like them so much they eat 14m kilos a year.

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Dutch love hagelslag, or hundreds and thousands. There is an entire industry making different types of them, and everyone seems to enjoy a slice of bread and butter topped with aniseed, chocolate or fruit flavoured sprinkles. They even have a tradition of giving people hundreds and thousands covered bread when visiting a new born, the colour depending on the gender. They like them so much they eat 14m kilos a year.

Haven't seen any since I was about ten. Didn't know they still existed. 

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Go to the Netherlands. Apparently you'd be tripping over them everywhere.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I think they call it Fairy Bread. 

It sounds like the shittest snack ever. Bread covered in hundreds and thousands. 

20 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And you with grandkids.  I'd have thought it would come up in conversation about desserts :) 

47 minutes ago, BOF said:

And you with grandkids.  I'd have thought it would come up in conversation about desserts :) 

She's only two, still at the stage of (mostly) eating what she's given, and not yet that au fait with the full range of sugary poisons. Although she does know (and frequently uses) the words "chocolate" and "cake". 

• Like 2

so shes about another year away from you buying a box of cake mix that come with paper discs with the faces of beano* characters on them which she thinks taste brilliant and you think are utter shite

*might not be beano characters anymore

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

so shes about another year away from you buying a box of cake mix that come with paper discs with the faces of beano* characters on them which she thinks taste brilliant and you think are utter shite

*might not be beano characters anymore

Yep. It's all about Frozen and Peppa Pig these days. 

22 hours ago, Chindie said:

Go to the Netherlands. Apparently you'd be tripping over them everywhere.

Yep,  its still really popular.  The new baby thing is actually pink or blue rice bready type things about the size of a crumpet. 

They just get 100's and 1000's and put it on Bread FFS.  Sick, sick population.

On  the other hand they are the tallest nation in the world with hardly any fatties to speak of and the happiest kids in Europe so I dunno.

Back in the day (as in when my Dad was a wee lad), there was such a thing as sugar sandwiches.  Not so popular now obviously, but I imagine it's along the same lines.

theres a lad who i play football with on a thursday night who considers it a litmus test for anyone claiming to have grown up poor, if your mom sent you to schoold with sugar sandwiches you were poor!

once or twice for me, preferred banana or crisp sandwiches

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

theres a lad who i play football with on a thursday night who considers it a litmus test for anyone claiming to have grown up poor, if your mom sent you to schoold with sugar sandwiches you were poor!

once or twice for me, preferred banana or crisp sandwiches

Similar nutritional value but different flavour, I did on occasion have the odd ketchup sandwich as a kid in a mate's house.  They're not bad :) 

Â