Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Similar nutritional value but different flavour, I did on occasion have the odd ketchup sandwich as a kid in a mate's house.  They're not bad :) 

One of my occasional gulity pleasures is ketchup on (buttered) toast. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, BOF said:

Back in the day (as in when my Dad was a wee lad), there was such a thing as sugar sandwiches.  Not so popular now obviously, but I imagine it's along the same lines.

My (irish) gran used to make me a snack.

It was bread, covered in sugar and soaked in milk.

I used to love it. But I still remember the time, I was probably 8 or 9, when I was given it and made the switch from liking it just because it was sweet, to thinking "what the **** is this?"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

a litmus test for anyone claiming to have grown up poor

Washing hair with washing up liquid ?

Hiding in your dad's coat and getting in the Villa for free.  Looking back I think the Turnstile people knew kids were sneaking in but my dad always tried it.  Approx 1977 - 1979.

7 hours ago, BOF said:

Back in the day (as in when my Dad was a wee lad), there was such a thing as sugar sandwiches.  Not so popular now obviously, but I imagine it's along the same lines.

I can remember vividly having fried bread topped with sugar as a Sunday morning treat.

This 'Far Side' cartoon actually invented the term thagomizer for the spiky arrangement at the back of a Stegosaurus.  An area which, up to then, had no specific term.  It now appears in scientific texts.

thagomizer.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/12/2017 at 13:54, mjmooney said:

tenor.gif

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 13:54, mjmooney said:

Not ketchup for me, but I regularly used to get home from school and have a couple of rounds of toast with brown sauce or BBQ sauce on top.

Usually dribbled down the middle and folded in half to make a nice toasted sauce sandwich.

Yum!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Since when has 'airplane' been accepted in British English?

Since the mid-90's, seemingly. 

I actually find these results surprising, but I suppose 'aeroplane' has declined so significantly as people prefer 'plane' these days. 

bkH4qWn.png

36 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Since the mid-90's, seemingly. 

I actually find these results surprising, but I suppose 'aeroplane' has declined so significantly as people prefer 'plane' these days. 

bkH4qWn.png

But the above post suggested that 'airplane' was proposed by the BBC committee in the 1930s, and caught on in Britain. But it didn't. No RAF wallah in WWII would have said anything but 'aeroplane'. It may be creeping in nowadays, but that's due to the current prevalence of Americanisms, not any prewar BBC diktat. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But the above post suggested that 'airplane' was proposed by the BBC committee in the 1930s, and caught on in Britain. But it didn't. No RAF wallah in WWII would have said anything but 'aeroplane'. It may be creeping in nowadays, but that's due to the current prevalence of Americanisms, not any prewar BBC diktat. 

Yeah, I'm not arguing. 

Â