• McGinn
    • Diaby
    • Watkins
    • Bailey (Zaniolo 75)
    • Tielemans (Diaby 84)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/10/23 at 22:59

A routine home win versus a bogey side. West Ham got lucky with their goal and tried to set piece us to death. Other than that they offered very little. Luiz is on his way to being world class. Slightly confused by the set up today- the BBC said it was 3 at the back with Digne and Cash as wing backs and the guardian said it was a back four. We do a lack a bit of width sometimes as Mcginn doesn't really stay on the right. But that is nick picking if you are winning 11 home games in a row. 

2 points from the top and we are still barely getting mentioned compared to Spurs' laughable title talk. That suits us fine. On we go.

West ham forum....... some posters  think we was lucky to win and they were dominant from the 34 min to the 70th! Not sure what game they watched, goes to show how deluded some fans are I suppose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, tinker said:

West ham forum....... some posters  think we was lucky to win and they were dominant from the 34 min to the 70th! Not sure what game they watched, goes to show how deluded some fans are I suppose. 

34th min? They were rubbish in the first half. And only probably for 10 mins in 2nd half did they look remotely dangerous and that was cos we kept giving them the ball.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Two points off first place, two points! Not many other seasons that I've been so optimistic and thrilled, long may it last!

Its no glorydays of hoping QPR, Reading or Watford drop points to get out of the relegation zone😝

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

11 wins at home in a row must be close to a record ?

As long as my teeth are I can not remember near or better, 

interestingly, I was talking to my dad as I always call him on the way home from the match, it’s really got this kind of Ron Saunders feel about it, if the other team score, you just know we’re gonna score again. We are developing that kind of certainty, it’s frightening

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Christ, I just had a look. Forget delusional, this is just horrible (censoring added by me). This is just the tip of the horrible turd iceberg:

I don't know why some are surprised.
It's a well known fact that when c#ntface comes up against anyone with an attack minded set up with fresh ideas we're f#cked.
But until we're taken over that's how it'll always be.
He's not the only one whose at fault, the owner and his cronies are equally culpable and this kretinsky c#nts turning out to be a no mark sitting back counting his Dosh.
Can't wait for the day when sky announce that we're being bought and shortarse is gone, then we'll see just how quick that bug eyed c#nt sticks around.”

My pre-game thoughts

I'm surprised by the amount of hype West Ham are getting, they're not a bad team, but their away form isn't actually that good, they beat Luton and Brighton, not exactly the most difficult games, Brighton win pretty good, but that's just one game, and then going into last season, their away form wasn't great either, again won't be easy, but beating them wouldn't be on the same level as the victory against Newcastle, I'd have us as favorites, past results against them shouldn't matter as for the most part that was a different manager, and some different players

Although of course we shouldn't underestimate them either, when we're over confident it's when we sometimes struggle, so in a way good to seem them being hyped.

My post-game thoughts

Well done lads, fantastic win, Bailey's goal was one of the smoothest I've ever seen

7 minutes ago, tinker said:

Well objectively speaking looking at the flashscore stats (xp, shots, corners etc) we 'should' have won 2-1 but we CLEARLY edged the stats. So their only argument could be that the score was a bit flattering but we definitely deserved to win. 

38 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh I think it helped that West Ham tried to press so we had to speed it up.  The crowd are finally fine with us playing from the back too. He’s made us such a good team. 

I noticed the amount of space Kamara, Luiz and at times McGinn had, especially in the second half. The midfield press from West Ham was borderline non-existant. 

3 hours ago, Indigo said:

West Ham are always going to be a horrible team to play against. They're limited in parts but so effective at what they do well and I don't think you'll see anyone have an easy time with them this season. Cases in point even in games they've had this season against City, Liverpool, Newcastle etc.

The fact that Villa handled them so well outside of the burst of momentum their shitey deflected goal gave them is seriously impressive. That felt like the performance of a big team today, almost as much of a statement as the Brighton result given how much more sturdy of a side West Ham are than them defensively. 

I've no doubt we'll continue to fly under the radar and I'm happy for it to stay that way. The job Emery is doing is something else. Two points off the top after a relatively difficult set of fixtures, scoring for fun and battering quite fancied sides, it's a fun time right now.

I know all teams have injuries but a word also for the fact that all this season has been without Mings, Moreno, Ramsey and Buendia. It really is some going, as that was 40% of our starting eleven last season.

Professor Unai Is making me one happy man 😆 let me start by saying UTV!

Finally! Finally! we have beaten the hammers…long awaited victory, i dont like Benrahma and wanted him to feature in this loss, cocky and very arrogant met him couple of times. Also dont like Moyes and i know he hates losing against us thats why he has such a good record so happpy days.

Douglas is pure magic, two misplaced passes and ignoring the two goals he was so dominant and controlling, weird as he only scored once across a season and a-half then he scores two in one match and 6 straight at VP. Definitely my MOTM

Diaby seemed to lack confidence he usually has in large parts, Bailey is usually useless but came on today and made all the right decisions , didn’t try too much and  oozed class for his goal such a clean finish unfortunately he isn’t consistent enough

i know many wont agree but Zaniolo has been overhyped massively, yes he can do some sensational stuff with the ball better than anyone in our team without a doubt but his end production and sharpness overall is way off for our side , not sure if its the fancy Italian name that psychologically has fans thinking his Del Piero because that isn’t the case, for me he is not a starter in this squad but i guess we dont have many options. 

Never in my life of 24 years watching us have i ever thought we are a better team than Manchester United until today and genuinely believe it.

Mcginn in the second half was quieter, i think if we have JJ where Zaniolo is playing now we have a serious force.

Edited by RicRic

51 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

11 wins at home in a row must be close to a record ?

Villa managed 13 home wins in a row in 1983 (across 1982/83 and 1983/84).

I don’t know if that’s even the club record. It’s just the most recent record that’s currently better than the one we’re on.

• Like 1

Â