David Beckham

Wurzel

there's 2 problems with Beckham

man utd

scoring an overrated goal - he's actually scored far better ones too, I personally don't like long range goals as they're largely reliant on the keeper having a shit starting position 

but other than that yeah he's a decent bloke, almost underrated because of what he was off the field, got to be something somewhere keeping him from being knighted 

Keep telling myself that I’ll one day rewatch England v Greece to see how my memory of his performance that day compares to the reality.

My memory is that he was everywhere and it was one of the best one man performances I’ve ever seen. Or at the very least, one of most determined performances I’d seen.

Maybe there’s some reluctance to rewatch because it probably doesn’t quite stand up to my memory. And I don’t want to have to change my go to example of “that’s a game where one player carried an entire team”.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Less serious but his desperation for a knighthood is another blow to his good character too.

Tbh I'm surprised he doesn't have one, he had an excellent playing career and since then has contributed heavily to stuff like London 2012's bid.  Compared to people like Cook and Strauss getting them in cricket I think he is a bit unlucky.

• Like 1

I always thought Beckham was quite a simple, not that clever, humble bloke who was thrust into the limelight because he was good at football and played for the best team in the country at the time. He then got with a Spice Girl which rocketed his public appeal.

Having watched the 1st episode of the documentary it's obvious he was quite a bit more calculating than that. He comes across as quite smarmy and he understood all of the circus that was going on around him. It seems he wanted it and enjoyed it - I suppose he's loaded now and I'm sure everyone is very nice to him all the time. I just didn't realize that's what he was really like.

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

I thought he was an overrated player. He had a great cross and could take free kicks but I wouldn't rate him as highly as our former manager.

Is a reason Scholes was still playing at top level for 10 more years while Beckham was an act in USA. Ferguson seen it and he was a flop at Real though the media tried spin he won them a league in 2007

• Like 1

Â