David Beckham

Wurzel

Scholes quit international football early, he didn't publicly blame Beckham, but I think he meant him as a main culprit. It's a shame because Scholes was the far better footballer. Beckham was all about Brand Beckham, what Posh Spice did to him reminds me of Megan Markle and Harry.

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/Premier League/Why-Paul-Scholes-ended-his-England-career-at-the-age-of-just-29/2309104

'I just got fed up. When you are going to a team, you want to be part of a team and play well, but there are individuals who are after personal glory. That is the biggest problem with English players – most of them are too selfish.'

13 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Scholes quit international football early, he didn't publicly blame Beckham, but I think he meant him as a main culprit. It's a shame because Scholes was the far better footballer. Beckham was all about Brand Beckham, what Posh Spice did to him reminds me of Megan Markle and Harry.

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/Premier League/Why-Paul-Scholes-ended-his-England-career-at-the-age-of-just-29/2309104

Always assumed that was Stevie Me and his 30 yard Roy of the Rovevs shots

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

For a couple of seasons he was pretty sublime in open play too

True. I didn't just mean from set pieces. Because even in open play he had a knack of finding space and time to receive and trap the ball before crossing. He rarely hit those passes on the run. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Tbh watching the doc, it just confirms the view a lot of people (inc Ferguson) had at the time that his wife was part of the problem. She could have waited until after the Argentina game to tell him she was pregnant. There are various points throughout the whole thing where she seems to relish making him prioritise her ahead of the career that has made them so wealthy and famous.

And she could never sing either.

Hoddle was a bit of a prick about it all, but he’s been deliberately cast as a villain for dramatic effect.

I think @Zatmanis being overly harsh on him, as he was a world class player in his prime, but the England team was definitely built around him for far too long, when he just wasn’t the kind of player you could build a team around.

I think it’s easy to forget just how famous the Spice Girls were in that era. She was the bigger celebrity than him when they got together imo, or on an equal footing at the very least.

Not to argue with any of the points you’re making, but I don’t think you can claim she was only famous because she married Beckham (although their wealth probably does mostly comes from him).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I think it’s easy to forget just how famous the Spice Girls were in that era. She was the bigger celebrity than him when they got together imo, or on an equal footing at the very least.

Not to argue with any of the points you’re making, but I don’t think you can claim she was only famous because she married Beckham (although their wealth probably does mostly comes from him).

For sure, but you detect a hint of … resentment perhaps, that he was famous for being good at something, and she had basically won the fame lottery. I wonder if that’s why she’s so dismissive of football. IMO not a very likeable person, but whatever, they obviously seem happy together

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

England football captain marries girl group popstar? 

Pffft. Billy Wright and Joy Beverley did that in 1958. 

17 hours ago, KentVillan said:

For a couple of seasons he was pretty sublime in open play too

His delivery of any kind of ball in the box was the best in the world, from deep, from a dead ball, on the run, from the 18 yard line,  first time, after a touch.

He absolutely was the best in the world at it. Watch a Ruud, Raul or R9 compilation.

Because of his fame it’s forgotten just how good of a player he was. It wasn’t just his free kicks. He worked hard, he was pretty fast and had a nasty streak alongside delivering pure quality, the way he struck the ball was a joy to behold. 

Also blaming Victoria for the way he grabbed fame, he says in the documentary it’s what he wanted and he sort it out. I think marrying her is a result of that not the cause. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

Watching some of the documentary I don't think that is the case.

As @Zatman alluded probably more the shoe horning of other players in the side. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

His delivery of any kind of ball in the box was the best in the world, from deep, from a dead ball, on the run, from the 18 yard line,  first time, after a touch.

He absolutely was the best in the world at it. Watch a Ruud, Raul or R9 compilation.

Rolls Royce of a delivery

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

He worked hard, he was pretty fast and had a nasty streak alongside delivering pure quality, the way he struck the ball was a joy to behold

He definitely wasn't fast. He couldn't go past a man to save his life. 

Â