David Beckham

Wurzel

Regardless of anything else I never doubted his passion and commitment to England. Never seen a player before (in my time) or since that was prouder to play for us. For that reason I find it very hard not to like him.

• Like 1

I watched the first couple of episodes of the series yesterday and whilst I knew he got a lot of abuse after 98, I didn't appreciate the sheer extent of it. 

Seemed a bit over the top. Can't imagine anything like that happening now if that same scenario occured.

Edited by PieFacE

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I watched the first couple of episodes of the series yesterday and whilst I knew he got a lot of abuse after 98, I didn't appreciate the sheer extent of it. 

Seemed a bit over the top. Can't imagine anything like that happening now if that same scenario occured.

With social media?

I can imagine the comments and messages being worse but the threats in the street, spitting, the effigy etc I can see being less

• Like 1

I watched the first episode of the documentary last night and I enjoyed it. I’ve always thought Beckham came across like a nice guy. I’m willing to forgive a young man with the world at his feet for chasing money and fame.

I’m sure VT will want to focus on the negatives, but I remember the thread we had about him was actually quite positive about him when he announced his retirement. Most people (like me) were won over by that performance he put in against Greece, and probably the realisation that the hate campaign against him after ‘98 was maybe a wee bit over the top.

• Like 1

Makes Mrs Stewie weak at the knees (pre-head shave) so I'll be watching the documentary at some point. Seems a decent enough guy, pretty good player - overrated because of being a massive celebrity, but there are worse players who are higher regarded Id say

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I can't get past how weird he looks these days. Botox on men just looks off.

It looks shit on women too.  Judging Beckham as a player is a difficult one, he basically could do in half a yard what it takes most wingers at least three runs down the line and that's put a perfect cross in.  That and he had a great attitude and work ethic to get everything out of what he had, but if he was ugly he'd be nowhere near as famous.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

World class footballer criminally underrated by those who don't actually known the game and for me as a kid growing up I idolised everything about him.

Just one of many childhood heroes that turned out to be a complete Representative for Wellingborough.

I think Ashley Cole of the golden generation is the best of the lot, at least he is honest.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

With social media?

I can imagine the comments and messages being worse but the threats in the street, spitting, the effigy etc I can see being less

Was more the abuse he got in every ground he went to. Maybe the introduction of social media allows people to vent in a different way now. 

Finished the doc tonight, really enjoyed it.

Didn't know about the beef with Landon Donovan and forgot Capello froze him out before bringing him back into the side.

I think he comes across as a really likeable bloke on the whole.

Debate - How good was he as a player? I can remember the unbelievable goals, passes, crosses and workrate but strangely his general play is a bit of a hazy memory for me. Undoubtedly world class?

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Finished the doc tonight, really enjoyed it.

Didn't know about the beef with Landon Donovan and forgot Capello froze him out before bringing him back into the side.

Debate - How good was he as a player? I can remember the unbelievable goals, passes, crosses and workrate but strangely his general play is a bit of a hazy memory for me. Undoubtedly world class?

Far from World Class, great set pieces and a good work rate but his in game play wasnt really that great. Long passing was lauded but when he went abroad it wasnt as well received, his short passing and creativity were mediocre

Again Ferguson saw through it, got rid in his prime I think he was 27 and brought in Ronaldo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

It was made by his own production company so it was always going to show him in a good light. I do like him though, he seems like a genuine person and was a top drawer footballer.

People who say he was over rated don’t know a true talent when they see it. He’s famous for his right foot but his passing in crossing with his left foot was better than most peoples strong foot.

I can’t warm to his wife though. She appears extremely contrived and fake in front of the cameras. She desperately wants to be perceived a certain way. It’s incredible she made tens of millions as a pop star who doesn’t sing or dance. She’s the luckiest person alive.

He's not perfect as a person but he was a good player and he carried the England team on his back, when other players kept underperforming. 

The spotlight he had on him seemed far bigger than anything that happens nowadays. The hate against him after WC '98 was insane. He'd gone from being one of the countries golden boys to public enemy number one. It was an age of celebrity that doesn't exist anymore IMO.

Did think the Wimbledon goal was overrated though. He scored many that were better. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

He's not perfect as a person but he was a good player and he carried the England team on his back, when other players kept underperforming. 

The spotlight he had on him seemed far bigger than anything that happens nowadays. The hate against him after WC '98 was insane. He'd gone from being one of the countries golden boys to public enemy number one. It was an age of celebrity that doesn't exist anymore IMO.

Did think the Wimbledon goal was overrated though. He scored many that were better. 

Yeah just seen that episode, and it was shocking. 

Imagine someone hanging an effigy of one of the players now, it just wouldn't be tolerated, quite rightly. Then the media were interviewing the guy who did it on prime TV. 

And the threats to kidnap his newborn son. Some absolute head wobblers in this world.

Also Glenn Hoddle came across as an utter ba****d. Threw him under the bus. Terrible management and just a low down thing to do. 

• Like 1

On 05/10/2023 at 19:59, PieFacE said:

Was more the abuse he got in every ground he went to. Maybe the introduction of social media allows people to vent in a different way now. 

I never understood why people singing about his Mrs taking up the wrong un was classed as insulting or negative, I would’ve wore it as a badge of honour

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

To walk into a room full of Spice Girls and pick Posh Spice. The guys a moron. Good footballer but a moron.

Baby, ginger, scary, posh sporty in that order 

Â