Jareth

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Top 5 will still be amazing, but the problem is, if we miss out on top 5 it'll most likely be because Tottenham and man U are above us. Lets pray and hope we have put that little slump behind us.

We're effectively 9pts ahead of Manure with +20 goal difference and they might have lost Martinez for the season. If we beat them I think the top 5 is virtually set in stone

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

It was the same in 1981 Mate. The moment they woke up to the fact we might win it we did 

Was it though. From memory it was always us or Ipswich and we were never far from top spot.  

At the end of January 1981 Ipswich were top on goal.difference we were 2nd Liverpool 3rd 4 points adrift. By the end of February it was effectively a 2 horse race 

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're effectively 9pts ahead of Manure with +20 goal difference and they might have lost Martinez for the season. If we beat them I think the top 5 is virtually set in stone

If we ever beat them. I think it's phycologiical more that anything. 

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Hypothetically if we go on a run from September to December, again, we could potentially be top of the league by seven or eight points.

Won’t help us mate, we need those points by May ;)

• Haha 1

Main article on the BBC website:

"Arsenal place themselves at heart of three way title race" by Phil McNulty

I mean I get it - Villa probably aren't gonna win the league. I'm realistic enough to know this. But the utter disrespect shown by that sentence is unreal. Villa have the same number of points as one of those teams, within 3 of second place and 5 of first! Form over the last 12 months as good as anyone

It's stuff like this that means we simply have to keep winning games cos it so clearly messes with the media agenda and they hate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

I mean I get it - Villa probably aren't gonna win the league. I'm realistic enough to know this. But the utter disrespect shown by that sentence is unreal. Villa have the same number of points as one of those teams, within 3 of second place and 5 of first! Form over the last 12 months as good as anyone

It's stuff like this that means we simply have to keep winning games cos it so clearly messes with the media agenda and they hate it.

This 'media agenda' stuff amazes me. 

It's an amazing story for the media if Villa win the league. They would love it. 

Pundits aren't saying it because it's highly unlikely (as you admit yourself) not because of an agenda.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

It's an amazing story for the media if Villa win the league. They would love it. 

Pundits aren't saying it because it's highly unlikely (as you admit yourself) not because of an agenda.

I’m not sure I agree, last week I watched a section on tv where they discussed Villa and whether we could get Top 4 and the next section Ange was about to do his pre Everton press conference and we were both on the same points and they were discussing whether Spurs were in the title race.  This is only one example of a few over the last few weeks.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not sure I agree, last week I watched a section on tv where they discussed Villa and whether we could get Top 4 and the next section Ange was about to do his pre Everton press conference and we were both on the same points and they were discussing whether Spurs were in the title race.  This is only one example of a few over the last few weeks.  

And probably the pundits said no?

That said, I do think there is arguably a bit of a pro Spurs bias more than anti Villa. Because they've had more success in recent years, but there are also undoubtedly a lot of Spurs fans in media roles. 

In the end, it's hard for a team that hasn't been challenging regularly to be seen as a contender. That underdog status isn't necessarily unhelpful for us though.

• Like 1

Villa definitely do not get the respect our stature in the game deserves deserve but I made a similar point during the FA Cup 4th round draw where Chelsea were described as 8 time winners and it wasn't mentioned we are 7 time winners and on here a people were sort of laughing at me for mentioning it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Condimentalist said:

meh you are probably right (and I do love a good outlandish conspiracy theory!) but I think the wording of it is so deliberate so as to scoff at the idea of Villa being worthy of being in the conversation

I don't mind the coverage. Nobody expects city to lose much ground in their two games in hand and that makes us very much part of the chasing pack. We don't have the mentality yet to lead from the front so where we are will suit us, until we get our mojo back. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We have a decent record against them since 2019, a couple of wins a couple of draws

Yep. I think that particular voodoo has gone now, despite what happened in the last game.

We'll still lose plenty of games to Man Utd, but it's not longer just because they're Utd and we're Villa

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

That's not an agenda though, that's understandable bias towards bigger clubs.

Whether we like it or not, Spurs are a bigger club in recent years than we are, and them winning the title is far more feasible than us going on reputation (FWIW there's no chance that they will)

Same reason Arsenal are being talked about in title race conversations and we're not. It's Arsenal. They were 2nd last year and they've won the prem countless times.
We're Aston Villa, we've been (mostly) completely shit for 25 years and haven't won a league title for over 40 years. 

Is it bias? Sure, of course it is. The media will always have a bias to big clubs.

But it's not an agenda. As has been said above, the media would absolutely **** love it if we won the league. It would be a huge story

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

I am very happy with the media thinking it’s a three horse race. Means we are back under the radar and Emery and the players can just concentrate on improving our football and trying to get a good run of results.

I don’t think Emery has ambitions to be a media celebrity/darling and we Villa fans should certainly pay no regard to what sports journalists and pundits say. They rarely have anything of value to add. 

I still think we could get our “horse” up there making things a bit uncomfortable for the other three so let’s just keep our heads down and see where our football gets us.

It's like FC Copenhagen fans being upset at not being mentioned as contenders for the trophy because they qualified for or are in the Champions League.

Really not sure why people are so desperate for us to be labeled as " Title Challengers " , it just opens us up to more embarrassment imo.

The teams they mention as " Contenders " are teams with deeper squads which have historically been contenders/winners in modern history.

It's really not that controversial whatsoever.

If we did win it, fantastic, and as you say, the media, and i'm sure a wide range of Football fans would probably love it.

I was routing for Leicester that season and it was brilliant to see.

These are some of the reasons people get so pissed off when things don't go our way as well, unrealistic expectations.

We've gone from " Being found out " and " In a worrying dip " to " Title Challengers " within a week 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree somehow, it’s the sane as when we were talking about Man Utd catching us while West Ham were above them. No agenda’s against West Ham but we see them overperforming. Yet they can prove us wrong.

Before our bad form, a lot used to talk about our chances. This form made everyone think we dropped (which happens with a lot of teams). 

Then there is a big issue which is Man City. Hopefully if they fail to win tonight It’s going to be fun again. Brentford usually do good against them. 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

These are some of the reasons people get so pissed off when things don't go our way as well, unrealistic expectations.

We've gone from " Being found out " and " In a worrying dip " to " Title Challengers " within a week 🤣

Completely agree. This thread was deservedly languishing in obscurity, we get an (admittedly good) win against one of the worst teams in PL history and out it comes again. Of course the vibes are better after a win, I get it, but beating Sheffield United changes nothing at all really. If people expect us to be in the title race, there's going to be a lot more negativity when we inevitably drop points, there's no point people doing this to themselves. 

• Like 1

We are a big club though, we aren't Blackburn or Leicester. We have underachieved for a long while but have won it more recently than Spurs and have been 2nd twice since we last won it.

We have pedigree and I think the way we as a club don't tend to puff out our chest impacts how we are seen by others/media