Jareth

One of the criticisms for why Villa won't win the league I've heard is that 'we concede too many goals' but since the Liverpool defeat, our goals for and against numbers are pretty comparable with anyone's (stats from Transfermarkt):

stats.jpg

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One thing in the back of my mind in all this is that I hope we do the double against Man City. If we don't challenge for the title I at least want to see anyone other than Man City win it. Our amazing season so far also highlights how a lot of other contenders have completely pooped the bed over Christmas when there was a chance to put a buffer between the top 3 and Man City. 

However I can't tolerate a lot of Liverpool and Arsenal fans either with the way they cry after every bad decision and anything other than a win. Several Liverpool fans I saw last night saying they'd opened a 5 point gap now at the top because "Villa don't count" is infuriating. 

So I guess we're just going to have to win it ourselves. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Several Liverpool fans I saw last night saying they'd opened a 5 point gap now at the top because "Villa don't count" is infuriating. 

So I guess we're just going to have to win it ourselves

Unai should pin that up in our dressing room. 

With a picture of Ron Saunders. 

• Like 2

Liverpool have something that City and Arsenal don't have and that's multiple ways of scoring. Arsenal have been completely ineffective trying to score and City are a shadow without KDB - still dangerous but definitely yeoman-like trying to score.

Liverpool can hit you with long balls, they can go through Salah, Szobo and Jones as their #8's have really turned that midfield around and can counter-press like mad. With Trent's delivery, they're dangerous on set pieces and have enough wild cards (Nunez, Diaz) to make something happen.

City, of course, could always go very robotic about their business but Liverpool will be hard to overtake.

But you never know with injuries and AFCON!

• Like 1

Looks like Liverpool are the only ones capable of challenging the half a billion pound bench that City can call on. Realistically we can't do that, we need a couple of really good players in Jan to stay in hunt for top 3/4. Even if we repeat the first half of the season points tally we'd be on around 80 points and the title winner you'd think would be around 90 points?

I believe we could win it, in so much as we're part of a group of 6 teams who are mathematically/logically likely to do so.

If we had the squad depth that Man City and to a lesser extent Liverpool have then I'd think we've got as good a chance as either of them and an injury free Arsenal, but I think we'll either need to keep everyone magically fit and fresh or sign 2 or 3 players who can immediately slot in and don't need to learn our system.

Realistically even from our current position, anything above 7th (i.e Europa League qualification) is success/progress. Problem is, if we ended up 5th/6th now then it's going to have a negative taint attached to it because we're 2nd in the middle of January.

Perspective is a great thing, lets not lose it. The very fact we can dream and even have this thread is a testament to the manager, owners and players

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skarroki said:

One thing in the back of my mind in all this is that I hope we do the double against Man City. If we don't challenge for the title I at least want to see anyone other than Man City win it. Our amazing season so far also highlights how a lot of other contenders have completely pooped the bed over Christmas when there was a chance to put a buffer between the top 3 and Man City. 

However I can't tolerate a lot of Liverpool and Arsenal fans either with the way they cry after every bad decision and anything other than a win. Several Liverpool fans I saw last night saying they'd opened a 5 point gap now at the top because "Villa don't count" is infuriating. 

So I guess we're just going to have to win it ourselves. 

liverpool fans worse i critized them and said  was having a go athem because of hillsbourgh  ionly mentioned them being full of entitlement

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

I believe we could win it, in so much as we're part of a group of 6 teams who are mathematically/logically likely to do so.

WHO IS THE SIXTH TEAM?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

One of the criticisms for why Villa won't win the league I've heard is that 'we concede too many goals' but since the Liverpool defeat, our goals for and against numbers are pretty comparable with anyone's (stats from Transfermarkt):

stats.jpg

That’s a fair point, I didn’t know that

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Unai should pin that up in our dressing room. 

With a picture of Ron Saunders. 

I’d love unai to use the ‘ do you want to bet against us’ quote

Bloody hell, City losing to Newcastle, Ederson off injured.

We have to beat Everton, such a good opportunity now.

Liverpool could be without Salah for 4 Games between now and mid Feb (Bournemouth, Chelsea, Arsenal, Burnley)