Jareth

55 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Is that really how belief works, or just what they're saying to remain realistic and keep the fans grounded?

Because I would have rather thought that many sportspeople are rather elevated by belief and carried by that momentum to reach higher levels.

And I'd be looking at that fixture list thinking if we get a result at Brentford, especially if it's a win, we've got a great chance of going top of the league (albeit perhaps only briefly) on Friday 22nd. Then I'd be thinking another result at Old Trafford and we have a good chance of starting the year top as well.

And then I'd be looking at the schedule up to April and thinking we could even pull ahead of the pack here. And if we could do that, we'd then have the extra belief to go into those next games against our rivals and a tough last two months of the season in a great position and dull of confidence.

Put differently, the underdog mentality is exceptionally motivating. Sitting on the top and looking down is much harder.

Keegan Newcastle is my best example.

Even saw it live on Sunday - early goals against an opponent you see as better than you then it is much harder to manage the mentality than a last minute grab.

We talk about his tactics and style of play and coaching ability, but the way he has changed the psychology at VP may be his most unsung achievement.

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Put differently, the underdog mentality is exceptionally motivating. Sitting on the top and looking down is much harder.

Keegan Newcastle is my best example.

Even saw it live on Sunday - early goals against an opponent you see as better than you then it is much harder to manage the mentality than a last minute grab.

We talk about his tactics and style of play and coaching ability, but the way he has changed the psychology at VP may be his most unsung achievement.

Agreed.  How many times have we crumbled when winning, losing or drawing? We just look so composed and assured now whatever is happening on or off the pitch.

Unbelievable 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Adman said:

Agreed.  How many times have we crumbled when winning, losing or drawing? We just look so composed and assured now whatever is happening on or off the pitch.

Unbelievable 

Yeah - the fact that we haven't dropped a single point after taking the lead in 11 games is extraordinary. Great, great mentality.

• Shocked 1

On 11/12/2023 at 19:15, HKP90 said:

To add a little more sauce to your point there, our run in for the next month or so is chock full of teams we'd back ourselves to beat. That 2.2ppg has survived some very difficult games on paper.

Forest, Bournemouth, Wolves and Everton ( cup)....have proved that is not as easy as it sounds.

Teams who are just intent on stopping us playing, are a difficult prospect.....and we have to motivate ourselves to the level, we mustered for the top teams.

Its just not easy....no easy games in this league.

Would you back any of the top teams, to takes 6 points back to back against 2 further top teams?

for example would you back Liverpool to win on a wed against Arsenal and then win again against  Man City on a Saturday.

It was a fair old scalp.

Its the lesser teams, we need to do better against.

• Like 3

Out of morbid curiosity I had a look at the 98-99 league to see what happened there. We were top at Christmas with 36 points after 18 games (so one more point than now having played two more). The second half of the season we only brought home 19 points in the last 20 games, collapsing to finish 6th by a point.

I'm a bit too young to remember any details but what happened? Injuries? A 1-D play style that got figured out? Too intense play style that led to fatigue similar to Newcastle? Or were we just playing out of our skin/lucky results and reverted to type?

Edited by VillaJ100

40 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Out of morbid curiosity I had a look at the 98-99 league to see what happened there. We were top at Christmas with 36 points after 18 games (so one more point than now having played two more). The second half of the season we only brought home 19 points in the last 20 games.

I'm a bit too young to remember any details but what happened? Injuries? A 1-D play style that got figured out? Too intense play style that led to fatigue similar to Newcastle? Or were we just playing out of our skin/lucky results and reverted to type?

From the Champions league thread, as a little summary.

Particularly Chris’ post. My post really is just me looking back, thinking that an FA cup defeat to lower league opposition doesn’t have to derail the season, before finding Villa taking me and everyone into the abyss for a few months.

On 30/10/2023 at 21:27, Mark Albrighton said:

John Gregory was the manager. Villa were joint top after 22 games, behind first place Chelsea on goal difference. Think we were on 43 points.

Then we died. Really died. We were knocked out of the FA cup by Fulham - they were a league one side at the time, albeit a good one - and that carried over for the rest of the season.

We ended the season in sixth with 55 points. Twelve points from the final 16 games. Utter collapse. 

On 30/10/2023 at 23:00, VillaChris said:

Losing Bosnich in the October meant our brilliant defensive record went to pot. Oakes had done well covering for him in previous two seasons but couldn't handle being keeper for top of table team and we started conceding 2s and 3s on regular basis home and away which wasn't sustainable.

Exactly like now if god forbid Emi was out for a couple of months and Olsen had to come in....

Also lost Ugo with eye injury when Shearer deliberately kicked around Feb time. Dublin also had fitness issues so he wasn't the same as he first joined.

You can always split the Gregory era in two parts. First up from when he joined to the cup final, a genuine rollercoaster of incredible unbeaten runs and long winless runs and some memorable games I can still recall to this day, losing 4-2 at home to Liverpool when it could've easily ended 8-8 and also 3-2 cup win over Leeds which is still in top 5 great games I've attended (Carbone hat trick and Merson spilling blood setting up the winner).

Then kick off of the cup final and the last 18 months were as dull as anything, can only recall about 5 matches from 2000/01 season it was that boring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

They are very bad at podcasting - all talking over each other.

Or some would say that because it's simply mates having a chat, that is the best for of conversation.

I enjoyed the vid - I think that Rory often makes some good points against the narrative. 

Over the last few days I thought that if Aston Villa was called Tottenham or Arsenal, a lot more people would think we could win the league.

It's not just this season - it's a 12 month consistency which only seems to get stronger.

We are in the title race at this point, no question about it. In 3 months time we might very well not be in it, but right now, we are in it.

Predicting football 3 months ahead is like predicting the weather for 2 weeks ahead. Sure, you can make some reasonable assumptions, but you have no idea.  

Given the drama of some about Newcastle and Man Utd going out it's great that Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal are still in European competition at a more competitive level. It should hopefully tire them out as we battle for the title, especially in those later months 😉😁

Edited by VillaAlex
  • Like 2

Had a dream we came from behind to beat Liverpool 2-1 and keep the home record going.

giphy.gif

some blonde guy with the winner, looked like Birkir Bjarnasson from a distance but I guess it could be a January signing.

Edited by fightoffyour