Jareth

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Only once in the last 12 seasons would our current PPG have been enough to win the league. And that was the Leicester season.

I'm not trying to put a dampener on things. Just highlighting how ridiculously hard it is to win the league. Even if you're good. You need to be really really **** good

Even this weekend's football demonstrates just how hard it is. We beat Arsenal not playing our very best, but that's also how Manchester City and Liverpool won, which they've proven they can do for several seasons now to add to long, unbroken spells of brilliance. For us, as for most clubs in the top half, it's still relatively novel. There's no way we're at that level. Yet.

10 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Even this weekend's football demonstrates just how hard it is. We beat Arsenal not playing our very best, but that's also how Manchester City and Liverpool won, which they've proven they can do for several seasons now to add to long, unbroken spells of brilliance. For us, as for most clubs in the top half, it's still relatively novel. There's no way we're at that level. Yet.

we will get there

We would also be sat 1st in 2021 after 16 games and 2 points clear, we’d be first in 2014 on goal difference and 3 points clear of City, first in 2011 and a point clear. 

The comparisons to Leicester aren’t the only season in the last decade or so that our points would have us either leading the league or ahead of the eventual winners so it’s just a lazy comparison to get clicks and engagement.

From what we’ve seen so far this is probably going to be the most compacted top 6 and one of the smallest gaps between 1st and 12-14th that we’ve seen in a while. The league is absolutely stacked and no one is scared of taking points off another - this could lead to some nasty surprises if we do go on a bad run as it could be very easy to drop down quickly but it also means our current PPG shouldn’t be compared to previous seasons winners without looking at the much wider context. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mantis said:

One thing I would say which does put a dampener on things a little is that we still have to play City and Arsenal away, and you'd imagine those could end up being key title decider games if we were to make a serious push for it for the rest of the season. We also have Liverpool at home but obviously you'd be a lot more confident backing us there.

We also get to play Newcastle, Spurs and Liverpool at home. 

More than anything this is all massive vindication for Don Unai after this disgraceful treatment from media and those rocket polishers on AFTV and their influence on that poisonous fanbase whilst at Arsenal.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

More than anything this is all massive vindication for Don Unai after this disgraceful treatment from media and those rocket polishers on AFTV and their influence on that poisonous fanbase whilst at Arsenal.

Agreed.

Although I do think Unai is the kind of guy who continues evolving and getting better, so he's probably not making as many mistakes now as he did at Arsenal.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Agreed.

Although I do think Unai is the kind of guy who continues evolving and getting better, so he's probably not making as many mistakes now as he did at Arsenal.

He also has better players to work with at villa

2 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I've never seen so many people talk about Villa online and real life. People I've never met before coming up to me congratulating me. 
Casuals football fans are onboard.
We're the new media darlings.
Villa are trendy again.

The new Brighton. But if we fade away we will be dropped as quick as we have been picked up.  It is up to us not to. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I've never seen so many people talk about Villa online and real life. People I've never met before coming up to me congratulating me. 
Casuals football fans are onboard.
We're the new media darlings.
Villa are trendy again.

Funnily enough I had this as far back as April. I feel like the Emery magic has been there from the very beginning and it's just sort of snowballed gradually.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Funnily enough I had this as far back as April. I feel like the Emery magic has been there from the very beginning and it's just sort of snowballed gradually.

We're now more respected in society thanks to Villa's form😂 Its like when Marge Simpson gets that chanel dress or Homer Simpson gets in the Stonecutters  

Edited by Pongo Waring
  • Haha 3

What people don't realise by this week is normally you'll play the top two in different weeks. We just beat them back to back okay City were a bit weakened but that was Arsenal's first choice team.

We just played both in a 72 hour period, 2ith less rest between each game and won both, deservedly.

Our manager is a genius. The real deal. He has found his home.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

What people don't realise by this week is normally you'll play the top two in different weeks. We just beat them back to back okay City were a bit weakened but that was Arsenal's first choice team.

We just played both in a 72 hour period, 2ith less rest between each game and won both, deservedly.

Our manager is a genius. The real deal. He has found his home.

The extra day of recovery that both City and Arsenal had in their recent run of games before playing us is a huge factor. That we could still win both games, bodes very well for us continuing the run.

So much to be happy about at the moment,  and if we pick up, just slightly, our away form, we're in with a shout.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The extra day of recovery that both City and Arsenal had in their recent run of games before playing us is a huge factor. That we could still win both games, bodes very well for us continuing the run.

So much to be happy about at the moment,  and if we pick up, just slightly, our away form, we're in with a shout.

I mean we were both absolutely terrible because of the lack of rest, if they had 1-2 more days of rest they'd have been out of sight. People really underestimate how much the lack of recovery between games affects teams. Even the 24 hour rest advantage arsenal had just gave them such a massive advantage in all facets of play. 

On 07/12/2023 at 10:50, Vive_La_Villa said:

Imagine if we managed 19 home wins in a row. Season ticket holders definitely getting their moneys worth! 

Anyone know what the PL record is for all teams?

1 - 24 - Liverpool
2 - 20 - Man City
3 - 19 - Man Utd
4= 15 - Man City
4= 15 - Aston Villa
6= 14 - Newcastle
6= 14 - Tottenham

On 08/12/2023 at 01:40, maqroll said:

I keep staring at the league table like an obsessive maniac. 

Not just me then :D

Edited by VILLAMARV
editing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1