Jareth

4 hours ago, TomC said:

He's a winner. I will never forget the way he (and Gundogan) put the team on their back when they came from behind to beat us on the last day of the season. One of my favorite non-Villa players of recent years.

Rodri has 17 goals for man city. 3 in cup finals, 1 in that game, (he also has 4 vs Villa overall) he's one of the clutchest players ever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Given where we are in the league and being a strong contender for the Conference, do we heavily rotate for the FA Cup to give us a better chance in the league and Europe? 

Presumably, but that could still be a very strong team depending on who we sign in Jan. 

New GK

Cash - Carlos - Lenglet - Digne/Moreno

New DM - Tielemans

Bailey/Ramsey/Diaby - Zaniolo

Traore - Duran 

That's a team that would finish like 12th in the prem. Once we start getting to later rounds is when we'd need to start our better players. Quarter or Semis is when you might consider playing our first XI

3 hours ago, birdistheword said:

I’m normally pretty pessimistic and still think we will end up 6th… but if you look out out next 11 fixtures…

Brentford (a)

Sheffield United (h)

Manchester United (a)

Burnley (h)

Everton (a)

Newcastle United (h)

Sheffield United (a)

Manchester United (h)

Fulham (a)

Nottingham Forest (h)

Luton (a)

Dare I say that looks like a relatively nice set of fixtures? And if we repeat last seasons results we are still higher than 2 points per game. Achieve that and we'd probably get top 4 with less than a point a game from final 11 fixtures.

To win tile we'd need to win 9 of our last 11 I think...

If we win most of them which we're capable of we'll be on 60-61 points. Do that and we'd probably make top 4 with less than a point a game from that point.

To actually win the league we'd probably then need to win 9 of our last 11...

Edited by VillaChris

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Random stat I know, but the Aston Villa Wikipedia page yesterday got more hits than any other day in the past 8 years except for the day we got promoted in 2019.

Clipboard01.jpg

Alright mate what else are you tracking about me?

• Haha 1

One thing that is very hard to instill a team because it's so intangible, is belief.

And you can tell that we have that running through our veins at the moment. Absolute belief that we can beat anyone.

If we can carry that on, you never know where we could end up

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Still no respect from pundits on TV and radio, plenty of patronising "plucky Villa" and can Villa " do a Leicester".

What's the issue with this?

A year ago we were facing relegation with the worst manager in our history. Why wouldn't pundits and fans think it would be "doing a leicester"?

• Like 2

Forget it lads, Garth Crooks has spoken:

"However, talk of winning the title is sheer fantasy. There's more chance of Prince William taking charge of Villa's remaining fixtures than them winning the Premier League"

• Haha 2

Bosnich was on SKY this morning saying Villa are very much in the Title Race.

And you know we are having just beaten two of the best PL teams in the space of three days; it's incredible really.

Brentford are tough at their place though so i'd take a point. 

• Like 1

We would've lost that match against Arsenal every time for the last 15 years.

But we didn't.

Being a winning team isn't just having the best players, it's about believing you're the best players.

Lampard talks about this is what Jose did so well.

Unai has our players believing they can do things that they never thought they could do.

Can win the title?

Of course we can

To say otherwise says you lack belief.

Enjoy the journey!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

They're all expecting villa to go in a bad period. Have we had a bad period since Emery has been in charge?

The closest thing was a 3 game losing streak to Leicester at home, man city away, arsenal at home.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What's the issue with this?

A year ago we were facing relegation with the worst manager in our history. Why wouldn't pundits and fans think it would be "doing a leicester"?

Well, for a start we have finished in the top two three times since 1981, two more times in the top 5 and about 6 top six finishes on top as well as four other major trophies. We aren't a minnow FFS

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

They're all expecting villa to go in a bad period. Have we had a bad period since Emery has been in charge?

Not really, apart from the three games mentioned above, when we actually played quite well against Arsenal and Leicester. He's averaging over two points a game in his Villa career now, and I think I saw a stat at the weekend that said a mere 1.6 points a game for the rest of the season would see us with enough points to finish top 4 most years.

• Like 1