Match Thread: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

2 tackles in the entire half, 2 I saw where players bothered trying to win it.

Carlos Injured and we need some aggression and Bailey comes on 🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦

Looks like half of them can't be bothered today. 

Drop mcginn into midfield 3 and give Bailey 10 minutes, if he's still terrible then duran on instead and go more direct.

So much for zanilio getting a chance yo shine.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Thank god for half time . Hopefully we see a different Villa second half .

Can it be the Ron Atkinson team that used to be decent at coming back from two goals down?

1 minute ago, Troglodyte said:

Who are we realistically bringing in though? I don't think we can attract an upgrade on Watkins just yet, and we're not getting anyone at his level to play backup. Yes Archer knows where the goal is but he's going to be a downgrade whenever he's on the pitch over Watkins, so it makes sense to take a good fee for him with the buy-back option in case he does look like that player in future (or if we can turn further profit).

I find Watkins really frustrating at times but he's still easily our best striker and I can't see who we could attract as a ready-made upgrade. 

Well we don’t know who we may have tried to sign,  but Ferran Torres is one obvious option who would’ve been a great addition. Jonathon David, maybe? 

We knew our biggest failing last year was in the final third and that’s where we most needed to add quality - and as seen with Diaby you get what you pay for.  

The MIngs / Konsa partnership was the bedrock for us last season. Pau is worrying me, poor decision making and very worryingly defensively. I want my defenders to be good at defending.

The slack ball press with a high line - have we not learned? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Cup win and top half finish is a definite possibility though and wouldn't be a bad season at all. 

Would love top 4 but it's games like this that show we're not quite there. Ideally we get top 6 and a cup win, but one or the other would still be a successful season. No way are we battling relegation - that's just not going to happen. 

Wet Spam finished 14?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Can it be the Ron Atkinson team that used to be decent at coming back from two goals down?

The glory years eh rob, fun whilst it lasted. Serious team back then at times. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We aren't getting battered. We conceded an unlucky first, the 2nd is a bad goal to concede. But we've had 3 or 4 solid opportunities to equalise. Saying we've been battered isn't accurate. 

Have you been watching? The scoreline does not reflect the game so far, they are sleepwalking this one and we look like a kids' team hastily put together last night over WhatsApp. We're being completely outplayed here so far. I'd say battered is very accurate.

I was expecting it to be, exactly like this.......but hoping to be wrong.

We simply cannot play, by not engaging with the opponent on the ball( standing off) and expect anything.

We are simply not competing.

6 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

we can't complain about the arrogance of the 'big teams' and then be surprised at their fans arrogance when we put in performances like this....especially the fans abroad who dont watch other teams as much, we have to show them what we are about too.....frustrating

Can’t argue with that… 

• Like 1

It's no surprise that we are losing to Liverpool, but it's a touch disappointing for them to be achieving it so easily. I'd say Unai's been out thought so far.

Not the end of the world if we lose, just disappointing. Further disappointment in the fact that the few chances we have had have been wasted. That said, IF we score next we are still in it.

Just now, MackHaakon said:

The MIngs / Konsa partnership was the bedrock for us last season. Pau is worrying me, poor decision making and very worryingly defensively. I want my defenders to be good at defending.

The slack ball press with a high line - have we not learned? 

Have you not learned that things take time