January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

33 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Gerrard tried to get Bentancur and Kamara as a CM pairing. That would have been very interesting

Well one of them wouldn't be playing that position, I can tell you that.

• Like 2

January is going to be really interesting, Don't think we need anymore squad players, probably players to come straight into the 1st team. I'm not as bothered about Cash as some others are, but i would like a top quality midfielder, Bentacur kind of player, and probably a top quality right attacker, a la Olise/Neto. As I say a very intriguing transfer window.

• Like 1

I agree with the right back, but although we have Tielemans, I believe we need another players to compete with Kamara and Dougie, but will be hard to get in the Jan transfer window. Dougie’s minutes worry me.

4 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Gerrard tried to get Bentancur and Kamara as a CM pairing. That would have been very interesting

Not a moment of magic between them

*I also bet it was Lange more than Gerrard*

I know it's been hit and miss but when you look at the side today, five years ago Cash, Konsa, McGinn, Watkins, Emi were all in the lower leagues of English football and then we've got a couple academy players on the bench and some young talent. Think it shows even when some transfers havent hit, personalities have been spot on and the dressing room harmony seems to have been strong throughout NSWE era. I feel confident that whenever we stop going for a player we're linked with it's because we've uncovered something that makes them a bad fit for the squad. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Can you imagine if we had Bentancur now? We could regularly bring him on to give Douglas Luiz a rest after 75 minutes or so :)

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I agree with the right back, but although we have Tielemans, I believe we need another players to compete with Kamara and Dougie, but will be hard to get in the Jan transfer window. Dougie’s minutes worry me.

Why? He's no different from a player like Rodri at City who played 4476 mins all comps last season equivalent 50 x 90 min games. He plays when avaliable because he's so good. I'm sure likes of Salah and Son etc etc play big mins across all comps. Probably miss meaningless rubbish like Carabao Cup

On 25/11/2023 at 16:06, maqroll said:

I hope we can sign and loan in about five players. A Champions League spot is there for the taking and it'd be a shame if we don't get one because the Conference League grind takes a toll.

I'll be honest, I think that would be more destabilizing than not signing anyone. What positions do we even go after? If a say Nico Williams becomes available, then yeah that would be great. But adding 5 players would be overloading the squad -- and if we hypothetically do get CL, how many of them will be at the level we need? Where would all our money be?

• Like 2

Right back is a must. It is the only position where we dont have cover and perhaps the position in most need of an upgrade. If we could get a player like a Porro at Spurs it would really help us. 

Centre back is fine. Left back fine . Centre Mid could do with another. Number 10 position is fine. second striker is fine. And Ollie just keeps on going at centre Forward with Duran the back up. 

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why? He's no different from a player like Rodri at City who played 4476 mins all comps last season equivalent 50 x 90 min games. He plays when avaliable because he's so good. I'm sure likes of Salah and Son etc etc play big mins across all comps. Probably miss meaningless rubbish like Carabao Cup

Every player is different. I don’t have a problem with him playing big minutes, but I’m concerned when he’s playing nearly every minute. Look at the Alkmaar game, he had to come on in the second half to change the game.

Hes an important player, he’s one yellow card away from suspension and will have an impact on the team. Emery doesn’t appear to trust Dendonker or want to play Tielemans there either. It makes sense to me that we need a player who can cover for either, but as I said, would be very difficult to do in January window.

Id also be a lot more comfortable with their minutes if both players were taken off earlier, when we’re 3-4-5 up against teams at home.

• Like 1

Probably going to be the most stress free January window I've been through as a Villa supporter in a long long time.

We have bought/loaned some utter dross over the years, and hopefully those years are well behind us.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1