Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

Just now, Taxahunter said:

Exactly and yet people are reacting like it was his fault we lost yesterday

The scapegoating has been on the agenda for some for awhile now. Lenglet gets a lot less criticism despite also being on loan. Lenglet more at fault yesterday for the goals than Nico. 

47 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

For me a loan that hasn't worked. He may not of got the gametime he wanted, but he hasn't, apart from a couple of occasions, done enough to warrant more game time. These things happen and not every player is suited the the Premier League. 

Exactly this
Better the loan (esp. with his previous injuries) than dropping £20m+ on a former prodigy, and have him take a huge salary for 5 years

Transfers don't always work out - and we've largely protected ourselves from the biggest risks on this one.

31 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

For me a loan that hasn't worked. He may not of got the gametime he wanted, but he hasn't, apart from a couple of occasions, done enough to warrant more game time. These things happen and not every player is suited the the Premier League. 

Well in some respect you can argue that the loan did work.  It's given us a chance to see whether he can play in the PL without the cost of having to sign him (depending on how / when / if the permanent deal clause clicks in).  He was genuinely one of the most exciting players I've seen play for Roma when he broke through but he's not shown anything like that here.  Even after his return from serious injury he put in some superb performances for Roma (he was asking for a new contract for a reason) so I don't think that you can write it off as down to the ACL issues.  I don't know whether it is the speed of the game, him not knowing exactly what he is being asked to do, playing him in the wrong / a different position, the pressure of trying too hard or what - but it's getting more and more difficult to see it suddenly clicking here.  Genuinely at Roma every time he got the ball people were either out of their seats or getting ready to do so.  Sure he didn't beat his man every time (or even most of the time) but if he did then things happened and happened fast.  He's just not doing that here.  And I am gutted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

The scapegoating has been on the agenda for some for awhile now. Lenglet gets a lot less criticism despite also being on loan. Lenglet more at fault yesterday for the goals than Nico. 

I agree, but I would say Nico wasn't at fault at all for any of Newcastle goals not less at fault than Lenglet 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Lenglet was better than Konsa. Konsa followed a fine showing at Chelsea with a donkey of a performance last night. Still look him and he rarely has these poor games.

Zaniolo needs more games. It's as simply as that. He is still looking rushed. 

We were all furious with how we lost last night and people needed to vent. But it wasn't  Zaniolo's fault, we were already 3 down when he came on. People seem to expect miracles! 

Just now, Taxahunter said:

I agree, but I would say Nico wasn't at fault at all for any of Newcastle goals not less at fault than Lenglet 🤣

Haha! True. I don’t think it’s fair that some are projecting all their frustrations about our dipping form on Nico more than other players. Win as a team, lose as a team. There’s a lot of responsibility to take from the tactics and senior players too. 

10 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Exactly and yet people are reacting like it was his fault we lost yesterday

Nah.

Just saying he was shit. Which he was. Again.

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Scapegoating

:lol:

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

no they're not, they're just all agreeing that he's f****** rubbish. 

Come on, the first thing people did after the game was to comment on his game yesterday, even if he wasn't as bad as people are saying. Nobody was giving the same shit to the players that was actually at fault for us going behind 3-0

We won 1-0 with him, Ramsey and Bailey on the field and we pushed Newcastle back. I'm not saying he was great, but he wasn't bad giving the circumstances from the game yesterday

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Come on, the first thing people did after the game was to comment on his game yesterday, even if he wasn't as bad as people are saying. Nobody was giving the same shit to the players that was actually at fault for us going behind 3-0

We won 1-0 with him, Ramsey and Bailey on the field and we pushed Newcastle back. I'm not saying he was great, but he wasn't bad giving the circumstances from the game yesterday

Stop talking sense!

22 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

He was bad, his contribution to the game was to commit a few fouls and make one decent pass.

The fact Bailey created the goal, and Ramsey was also rather poor doesn't negate the fact Zaniolo was bad.

Diaby, Ramsey and Lenglet have all been criticised post the game, although they've also all shown a level of ability in other games that means we know they are somewhat capable. Zaniolo is yet to really show anything in any game he's played. He's also only on loan and not our player.

He deserves a bit of patience due to his (self inflicted) off field issues, but if his version of getting stuck in is to commit fouls that kill our momentum, I'd rather we gave someone else a chance. Hopefully Rogers signs and he can get a go. 

11 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He was bad, his contribution to the game was to commit a few fouls and make one decent pass.

The fact Bailey created the goal, and Ramsey was also rather poor doesn't negate the fact Zaniolo was bad.

Diaby, Ramsey and Lenglet have all been criticised post the game, although they've also all shown a level of ability in other games that means we know they are somewhat capable. Zaniolo is yet to really show anything in any game he's played. He's also only on loan and not our player.

He deserves a bit of patience due to his (self inflicted) off field issues, but if his version of getting stuck in is to commit fouls that kill our momentum, I'd rather we gave someone else a chance. Hopefully Rogers signs and he can get a go. 

He had a load of bad press for something he didn't get charged for. So how was that self inflicted?

• Like 1

Nobody is scapegoating him or blaming him for the loss. He's getting criticised because he's been terrible in every appearance he's made.

We are not stupid enough to think we were 3-0 down because Zaniola was doing high knees on the touchline....

Â