Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

22 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He absolutely does not need a run in the side. When he’s had that he’s been god awful for the most part. 

This isn’t working out 

Out of position at the start of the season he helped us get a load of points.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but we had 6W 3D 2L when he starts…

Guessing a few of those were europa? I can remember him starting at Forest and doing very little, think he may have started at Wolves and Bournemouth aswell so UE seems to have liked giving him chances away from home but it just hasn't happened. 

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Guessing a few of those were europa? I can remember him starting at Forest and doing very little, think he may have started at Wolves and Bournemouth aswell so UE seems to have liked giving him chances away from home but it just hasn't happened. 

He started the two losses away to Forest and away to Legia. 

fwiw, I don’t think he’s great by any means but we desperately need someone that can carry the ball from midfield to attack. 

This 4 CM’s line up lacks pace and dribbling in spades. 

3 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

He started the two losses away to Forest and away to Legia. 

fwiw, I don’t think he’s great by any means but we desperately need someone that can carry the ball from midfield to attack. 

This 4 CM’s line up lacks pace and dribbling in spades. 

One fully up to speed Ramsey can do the dribbling stuff no problem.

Might have to wait for that until March or April but he's far more effective than Zaniolo has ever been.

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Interesting. Makes sense. There must be someone identified by Monchi for £25-30m which will be better than Zani?

That post is basically someone assuming that because it hasn't gone well for him here we won't be keeping him. They might be right but it's based on zero insider knowledge. 

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Interesting. Makes sense. There must be someone identified by Monchi for £25-30m which will be better than Zani?

I disagree, think the signing of Rogers & Beundia back next season covers that position 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We'd never have signed him if Buendia have stayed fit. Ramsry also been injured frequently.

He was a player Monchi knew from Roma and last minute so we have had 12 months to scout someone more long term. Interested who we come up with.

• Like 1

Just now, ender4 said:

Yeah maybe, although we do have a fair few options out wide now when everyone is fit. Bailey is in amazing form. We know Ramsey can be brilliant when fit. McGinn is best out wide. Rogers is capable of playing wide and then there's Diaby who would arguably be better out wide too. Not to forget Buendia hopefully being available next season too.

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We'd never have signed him if Buendia have stayed fit. Ramsry also been injured frequently.

He was a player Monchi knew from Roma and last minute so we have had 12 months to scout someone more long term. Interested who we come up with.

Surely it's Rogers?  Plays off the left or as an attacking midfielder.  Basically the Buendia role - which I assume Zaniolo was brought in to fill?

Obviously just a rumour, but the move for Rogers and Zaniolo not being made a permanent signing makes sense.

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Surely it's Rogers?  Plays off the left or as an attacking midfielder.  Basically the Buendia role - which I assume Zaniolo was brought in to fill?

Obviously just a rumour, but the move for Rogers and Zaniolo not being made a permanent signing makes sense.

Zaniolo shouldn't have been brought in to replace Buendia, because he's never played on the left before.  Can't really blame him for poor performances when he's being played out of position.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I disagree, think the signing of Rogers & Beundia back next season covers that position 👍

We've no idea how Rogers will do given it's a huge step up here in terms of expectation and he didn't even stand out at Championship level and Buendia was average before his injury so if he comes back and is even less good we will need an upgrade. Ramsey if he can get back to his best will probably nail the left sided position but we need a creative midfielder/number 10 too as we struggle to break down low blocks.

I think an attacking midfielder like Maddison absolutely has to be a priority in the summer along with new starting full backs.

As for Zaniolo, I still hope he can have a good second half of the season as there is a player in there despite everyone saying he's rubbish. When we were battering everyone at the start of the season he was starting and since he's been benched we've looked rubbish so that bodes well for him. He's looked good when playing on the right so if he plays here more he could offer us something but needs more than just 5 or 10 minute cameos.

41 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Literally anyone else in that price range?

• Haha 1

Something is just off with this lad, and I won't miss him. The vibe just isn't right. Was incredibly thirsty for a goal at first (to the detriment of the team), his body language is consistently bad, waving his arms around in frustration like a petulant child. Silly fouls in good attacking areas too.

And don't get me started on him running into the crowd to celebrate an equalizer at home when there was time on the clock to go for a winner.

8 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We've no idea how Rogers will do given it's a huge step up here in terms of expectation and he didn't even stand out at Championship level and Buendia was average before his injury so if he comes back and is even less good we will need an upgrade. Ramsey if he can get back to his best will probably nail the left sided position but we need a creative midfielder/number 10 too as we struggle to break down low blocks.

I think an attacking midfielder like Maddison absolutely has to be a priority in the summer along with new starting full backs.

As for Zaniolo, I still hope he can have a good second half of the season as there is a player in there despite everyone saying he's rubbish. When we were battering everyone at the start of the season he was starting and since he's been benched we've looked rubbish so that bodes well for him. He's looked good when playing on the right so if he plays here more he could offer us something but needs more than just 5 or 10 minute cameos.

It's a fair point 👍 including Ramsey that's 3 players for the left hand side 4 players if we keep Zaniolo. Can't see us having 4 for that position so something will have to give, Ramsey takes that position if he is back to his best & we've just brought in Rogers so leaves Buendia who pre season was looking fantastic up to his injury, so will he be up for sale ? I do think there is a player in Zaniolo but he just seems to be getting worse in his performances, dreadful when he came on against Newcastle, if its a loan with option to buy then I think he is going back to Turkey on his current form, he may step up from now to end of season but nothing is telling me he will.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Zaniolo shouldn't have been brought in to replace Buendia, because he's never played on the left before.  Can't really blame him for poor performances when he's being played out of position.

Personally I think there is a baller in there, but it’s looking less and less likely that it’s going to happen here. Game time has probably just become even harder for him.

Wish him well.

• Like 1

I think for as much as he kills attacks because he takes too long on the ball, his physicality and 1v1 abilities against a fullback were one of the keys to be able to withstand high presses early in the season (with Pau's orchestration of course).

If Zaniolo had been on instead of Tielemans, I think he would have had much more success turning Trippier, who was following Tielemans all the way infield.

10 minutes ago, Frodo said:

It's a fair point 👍 including Ramsey that's 3 players for the left hand side 4 players if we keep Zaniolo. Can't see us having 4 for that position so something will have to give, Ramsey takes that position if he is back to his best & we've just brought in Rogers so leaves Buendia who pre season was looking fantastic up to his injury, so will he be up for sale ? I do think there is a player in Zaniolo but he just seems to be getting worse in his performances, dreadful when he came on against Newcastle, if its a loan with option to buy then I think he is going back to Turkey on his current form, he may step up from now to end of season but nothing is telling me he will.

To me we have Ramsey, Buendia and Rogers who can play left side, but other than Ramsey (when he is fit and firing) the jury is out on the other two in my book. Buendia because of his injury and generally not being great in his first two seasons (although I agree he looked good preseason) and Rogers because we have no idea if he can make the step up to this level.

On the right we have Bailey and Diaby (if Unai would ever play him there). Traore has now left. I personally think Zaniolo could be another option here as he looks far better on the right, he came on against Chelsea there and looked really sharp and also did well in our last group European game there.

If we don't buy Zaniolo I'd still be looking at an attacker in the summer but more of a no 10 than a winger. 

Barring injuries I don’t see him getting much game time. Think Ramsey/Rogers will both be vying for that left spot, Bailey and Diaby for the spot next to Watkins and the right seems to be Mcginn/Bailey/Cash. Even Buendia could make a return in a couple of months. So really his just back up to Watkins which has been reported recently. 

Don’t like being too quick to write off players but from what I’ve seen of him this season I’m not sure what his particularly good at. Not sure his good enough for a team challenging for top 4. 

Â