alreadyexists

Go strongest possible 

We have waited so long for europe we were gonna potentially **** it up with a weak and arrogant team?

Lets do the business 1st leg and not do a **** Stevenage 

If we have a nice lead for 2nd leg then go strong 2nd leg but then if winning at HT get some players off

• Like 2

Well, having just watched Hibs today there will only be one winner on Wednesday whatever side Villa put out. 🫣 ( even Olsen in goal 😉)  Thought we may have rested some players but went with a strong line up and still our defense was shocking and we have the midfield of a doughnut........take the SHA fan Joe Newell out of the game and it will be easy street for Villa.

Enjoy your trip up to Edinburgh and don't fear another Stevenage .🙂

• Thanks 1

Well that feels better. Some changes required for this one but not wholesale. Important that we don’t slip up and then have a mountain to climb in the second leg. So many times in the past we’ve had a banana skin game and fallen short. 

Martinez

Chambers     Carlos       Pau      Digne

Tielemans     Luiz                    

McGinn                         Zaniolo 

Traore        Watkins     

Subs:  Olsen, Cash, Revan, Konsa, Dendoncker, Kamara, Bailey, Diaby, Duran. 

Is Zaniolo fit? Surely if he is we need to get some minutes into him. Not sure if Philogene and/or Archer will still be with us or whether anyone new will be in?

Hopefully we’ll come away with some kind of advantage in order to make the second leg a formality. Going to say 1-3 to us.

Edited by ferguson1

I’d go with:

Martinez

Konsa    Pau
Chambers                      Acuna (if signed)

Kamara   Tielemans

Bailey                                           Mcginn

Watkins        Zaniolo

Retains a lot of core strength while rotating where we can reasonably do so without a drop in quality                 

I think he'll go strong but will bear in mind it's early in the season - try to get 3 goals ahead and make more wholesale changes for the 2nd leg.

Martinez

Chambers    Carlos    Torres    Revan

Tielemans Luiz

Bailey McGinn Diaby 

Watkins

I've assumed Zaniolo isn't fit and that Luiz and Diaby will start, given they were brought off after an hour today...

Get 3-0 up after an hour, then bring Duran, Traore etc on with the intention of giving them + Olsen a start in the 2nd leg.

Edited by StewieGriffin

35 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Very curious to see what Emery does here. 

As I was saying to the guys stood with me in the Holte today, whatever he does, no matter if you can't quite at first see the logic behind it, I'll back it - because you know they'll be a plan and it will be for a reason!

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Go strongest possible 

We have waited so long for europe we were gonna potentially **** it up with a weak and arrogant team?

We can't play our best XI twice a week all season. It's just not feasible. I'd make wholesale changes but I think emery will only make four or five changes from today's team. At the most. 

This isn't a one off tie like Stevanage, I think we can afford to make a few changes and, if it doesn't go to plan, go a bit stronger in second leg at Villa Park.

For me;

Olsen

Cash Carlos Torres Digne(?)

Tielmanns Luiz McGinn

Traore Zaniolo

Duran

You'd hope that team could take a lead to Villa Park, even a draw and you'd fancy us to finish the job at home. Defensively strong, a solid midfield (McGinn will insist on playing and I'd sub Luiz/Kamara out to save legs between them) and then some forward players with something to prove.

We have Burnley four days after the first leg and Liverpool three days after the second.

It probably makes more sense for us to have a stronger side in the first leg, more time for them to recover. IF we have a good sized advantage going into the second leg, then yeah, rotate the side, keep as many of the likely starters for the relatively more imminent Liverpool game as fresh as possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wedge said:

As I was saying to the guys stood with me in the Holte today, whatever he does, no matter if you can't quite at first see the logic behind it, I'll back it - because you know they'll be a plan and it will be for a reason!

Oh no doubt, I'm sure it'll be the right move - just curious as to how strong he decides to go.